• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you could do it over again, would you upgrade to 2.2?

Not sure why you assume I "nuke" every app. I only kill the stock bloat ware because my phone lags when its down to 50-70 mb's of memory and comes to a halt with less than 50. obviously you didn't read my post because it says I had lag before I put all my apps back on my phone, it even lagged when I first got it a little until I got a task killer. I've seen others who have the same problem when memory gets low, and then someone says "no it doesn't, it doesn't work that way" but I know what my phone does, I've had it over a month and I use to use it all the time.

I see you're rooted... get 'AutoKiller' from the Market, install it and set it to 'Aggressive'.... it's not a traditional task killer, what it does is speeds up Androids built-in task killing operation. It spreads the buffer zone from 50/70 up to as far as 200/250. This way you won't have to worry about your phone running out of memory and lagging.

Try it out, it worked really well on my phone which used to lag before I rooted and added it.

Upvote 0
I see you're rooted... get 'AutoKiller' from the Market, install it and set it to 'Aggressive'.... it's not a traditional task killer, what it does is speeds up Androids built-in task killing operation. It spreads the buffer zone from 50/70 up to as far as 200/250. This way you won't have to worry about your phone running out of memory and lagging.

Try it out, it worked really well on my phone which used to lag before I rooted and added it.

Someone recommended it and when I downloaded it my phone went crazy. The lock screen was coming up as I was navigating through the phone and typing, the screen would also go black as I was scrolling through apps or homescreens then it just shut off. I figured it wasn't for 2.2, maybe I just need to try again and change settings?

Upvote 0

Try it out, it worked really well on my phone which used to lag before I royioted and added it.
I reinstalled it, it didn't go crazy this time. Do you know what exactly all the numbers mean in the first window?

Upvote 0
Well I just read the 'details' (when in AutoKiller hit the menu key, click settings, and at the top you will see 'Home page'... click it and at the end of the very first paragraph you will see 'details', 'process manager' and 'FAQ') article twice, and while I understand it in my own head, I don't exactly know how to explain it on here to where I could help you understand it at all I don't think. I recommend reading it yourself (it is quite lengthy, but very informative) as it really does a good job at explaining how the whole process works.

And one thing expecially that I got out of it, in there he explains the way Android differs from Windows and even Apple... Android systems are built to keep apps running in the background, like that's their whole philosophy. They do this to keep things open so that if and when you go back to that app, BAM it's right there. So the whole Android process is run by a manager that finds value's for the apps importance, and when you start running low on memory, it will kill off the apps that are least important to you.

After reading that, I really understand just how anti-Android ATK's really are, and why Google disabled them in 2.2. Apps are supposed to be running in Android, if you kill them off then you might as well be using a Window's mobile device. Read that article, it's really informative.

Upvote 0
Root it, while you're still on 2.1, then flash the latest leaked 2.2. Its basically the same as the OTA without the extra bootloader security. That way you can always go back if you don't like it. The OTA screwed my 1st DX big time with no way of reverting back. But for some reason my replacement is running great on the leaked version. Its still not as fast or stable as 2.1 though. Battery life is worse too. The beauty is knowing I can go back anytime.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones