• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If You Could Go Back In Time Would You Buy The Captivate Again?

About me:
-Long time lurker of the captivate forums, first time poster
-New to android (a friend got a g2 and gave me his old tmobile mytouch 3g, I have unlocked it, rooted and installed cyanogen mod, and really enjoy the phone despite its old and slow hardware)

My phone up until last week was a samsung epix (winmo 6.1), to put things simply it was a garbage phone. It, much like the captivate, had lots of cool features but so many bugs that the good features didnt really matter. Samsung promised fixes, they took forever to come. When the "fixes" did finally come they broke more than they fixed.

So why am I going through all this you ask? After my experience with the epix I vowed never to buy a samsung phone again. Then when the captivate came out it sparked my interest because I am stuck on AT&T and it was the first powerful android phone to come out for ATT, but it too is plagued by many issues that dont seem to be at the forefront of samsungs priority list.

So long story short, if I could go back in time I never would have bought a samsung phone, and I definitely wont be buying a captivate. I cant bring myself to support a company that repeatedly doesnt back their products.

i dont really think you have much say in this thread being that the question is "would you buy the captivate again" and youve never bought one to begin with

Upvote 0
With all the issues, i.e. GPS, random turn off, alarm when full charge...etc..etc...why would anyone consider buying again?
I know it infuriates some, but I could care less about the GPS, it'll get fixed when it gets fixed; I have had absolutely no problem with 'random turn offs', the alarm when fully charged isn't an issue - I really can't get that worked up over a phone. My frustration with not understanding the Android platform is more of an issue to me, and finding the resources to learn - everyone has a different take on what real problems actually are.

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate on the "alarm when full charge" issue?
Haven't heard of any alarm issues, what is yours about??:thinking:

What I mean is some kind of beep notification when charged. Seems like many folks charge at night and it wakes them when this notification goes off. I'm not meaning to hijack the thread, but in trying to decide whether to get this device, it's enlightening to see if people would buy it again, once they have tried it out. Most seem like they would, but not an overwhelming YES

Upvote 0
What I mean is some kind of beep notification when charged. Seems like many folks charge at night and it wakes them when this notification goes off. I'm not meaning to hijack the thread, but in trying to decide whether to get this device, it's enlightening to see if people would buy it again, once they have tried it out. Most seem like they would, but not an overwhelming YES

My phone never does that... The screen turns on with the pop-up notification, but it doesn't make any noise.

In any case.... To get back on topic:
I would buy the Captivate again, because I wanted a top-of-the-line Android device, and I'm stuck on AT&T. I still wish I had a droid incredible, but the cost of the individual plan there is way too expensive vs the AT&T family plan I'm currently part of.

My GPS experience has always been good enough to use for turn-by-turn navigation, just not overly fantastic. The lag was bad, but the lag fixes make it the most responsive Android phone on the market.

Upvote 0
i dont really think you have much say in this thread being that the question is "would you buy the captivate again" and youve never bought one to begin with

I'm just saying that given my history with samsung, and the amount of threads on this forum complaining about issues with the captivate, I would not buy a captivate...simply an outside perspective on the matter at hand.

Upvote 0
To those of you who regret getting this phone...

nelson-muntz.jpg

Upvote 0
I guess to put things in perspective, the sum total of all things that work in this phone, vs the ones that don't, makes this phone a pretty good one.

It all depends on how you think of the GPS feature on phones. Some consider it to be a major component without which the phone is a failure despite everything, kind of like a car without a steering wheel. It doesn't matter that the car has heated leather seats at that point!

Others see the GPS as the heated leather seats, nice but not essential.

Upvote 0
There is no way, knowing what I know now, combined with the issues I had that would ever purchase this phone or any other from Samsung again.

I have several Samsung products in my home - including 3 big screen HDTVs, my daughter has a non-smart Samsung phone. Based on this (and the other choices I had) for Android on ATT, I was certain it was a no-brainer. What I learned is that the Captivate has no brains (yes a bit harsh).

Fact is the product should work - or at WORST the major facets of it should work OUT. OF. THE. BOX.

The Captivate does not do this - and it's funny that it STILL does not do this. You can fix the GPS if you wiggle your ears, while sitting crosseyed against a southern exposure wall with ivy on it while touching your tongue to your forhead upside down.

C'mon I should not have to do ANYTHING to get the standard feature to work.

I now have a iphone 4. Is it perfect - not hardly, would I prefer a different home screen, swype, and the top 'notification bar?" Absolutely. But I traded those things for a phone that FOR ME works with NO issues, no death grip, no GPS problems, no battery problems, no data gobbling, no nothing. No need to go through multiple steps to load music or photos, etc.

If I did need/want an Android phone (and I suspect when Android is out of Beta I will), I would (at this time), get a Droid X.

Upvote 0
I guess to put things in perspective, the sum total of all things that work in this phone, vs the ones that don't, makes this phone a pretty good one.

It all depends on how you think of the GPS feature on phones. Some consider it to be a major component without which the phone is a failure despite everything, kind of like a car without a steering wheel. It doesn't matter that the car has heated leather seats at that point!

Others see the GPS as the heated leather seats, nice but not essential.
+1 - and at least from my perspective, it doesn't make you any less of a thinking human if you totally value the phone for the GPS - it's just personal opinion. If you're so disappointed in the phone, then get rid of it - and move on.

Upvote 0
Yes I would!

after reading this thread and other similar ones in this forum and others, my take is that android is an operating system for "tinkerers"..folks probably in the 20-30 yr age group. As I am in my 50's and familiar with symbian..I'm going to take the plunge for their new N8..thanks for all the info here

My mom has the Vibrant and 50+. She loves her phone.

Upvote 0
A resounding YES I would!

With all due respect to the members of this forum, I believe much of the complaints, disappointments, and distinctly critical posts are a direct result of peoples lack of effort to learn Android.

Taking personal responsibility to learn a new product like Android directly impacts whether you like it or hate it. It's as simple as that.

All too often people are very quick to judge. Very quick to compare it to their last phone which is usually so dramatically different in it's OS, that there is no basis for a fair comparison.

Even when people already know the OS like the iPhone for example, or RIM's OS for the Blackberry, there are hordes of negative comments and complaints. Proof positive that many people love to complain, or portray themselves as experts as they judge a product built by skilled engineers.

That's my take on it.

Cheers.... :)

Upvote 0

With all due respect to the members of this forum, I believe much of the complaints, disappointments, and distinctly critical posts are a direct result of peoples lack of effort to learn Android.

Taking personal responsibility to learn a new product like Android directly impacts whether you like it or hate it. It's as simple as that.

All too often people are very quick to judge. Very quick to compare it to their last phone which is usually so dramatically different in it's OS, that there is no basis for a fair comparison.

Even when people already know the OS like the iPhone for example, or RIM's OS for the Blackberry, there are hordes of negative comments and complaints. Proof positive that many people love to complain, or portray themselves as experts as they judge a product built by skilled engineers.

That's my take on it.

thats the key, its the same when with people who go from windows xp to windows 7, all i hear are complaints because the people do not understand it.
same with microsoft office, when they went to the "ribbon" at the top of the programs, all people would do is complain since its different. they wouldnt take the time to learn it and find out its much better, same with xp to 7. i believe the same can be said from ios to android, or blackberry os to android, just need to learn it.

90% of problems on anything technological is user error, i believe the same can be said about this phone

Upvote 0
Yes I would!

My mom has the Vibrant and 50+. She loves her phone.

lol...that's cool. My problem is that I just don't have the time to mess with my device. I just need it to work out of the box and download the occasional "cool" app or something of the sort. That's why symbian seems to work for me at the moment. Maybe android will..not sure...but what I'll do is buy the Captivate on the cheap with a att contract extension...use it for a week or 2 and flip it on ebay or craigslist. IM me if you would like to buy the one I buy on contract...

Upvote 0

That's my take on it.

You're right about learning Android - and I am trying very hard to do that - but it isn't as easy as snapping your fingers and reading a bit - there is no good source for information, and quite frankly, simple noOb questions are barely answered, or the condescension given intimidates one from even asking.

Coming from the very organized Palm world into the wild and woolly Android world is a smack in the brain, it's not an easy transition. But of course I'm speaking for myself, YMMV.

Upvote 0
I sold my iPhone 3GS to get the Captivate because I want to develop for Android. Thus far the Captivate has been largely a disappointment. IMO GPS is a critical feature for smart phones and many common utilitiy apps rely on knowing the phones coordinates. The music player (tried several) is tempermental and likes to blank out every now and then. The email clients are problematic - I finally settled on K9 for my 5 accounts - but the UI is not all that great and mailbox updates is flaky at times.

So would I do it again. Definite no. I am considering picking up a used iPhone 3GS to replace the one I sold to use for everyday and keep my Captivate for development use only. I'm on the ATT network so my options are rather limited.

Upvote 0
Coming from the very organized Palm world into the wild and woolly Android world is a smack in the brain, it's not an easy transition. But of course I'm speaking for myself, YMMV.

I hear you. While Android is certainly 1000 times more-powerful than the Palm environment, there were so many things that Palm did beautifully/perfectly that I miss terribly on Android. A unified sync of notes, tasks, contacts, etc for example. And the virtually perfect calendar app (although Datebk took that to even greater levels of awesomeness).

There's so much that Android does well, and I welcome the modern OS and immense power and flexibility. But I wish the basics... things that Palm pioneered and set the example/standard for... weren't utterly lost and forgotten. There are ways I feel Android is a step backward from the Palm experience I had 5+ years ago, which is sad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones