• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you had to choose now, which one - Nexus or Desire?

Nexus or Desire......and what is your reasoning

• Nexus

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Desire

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

daffyduck

Okay, so this could be a bit contentious but if you had the choice now, would you get the Nexus or wait for the HTC Desire, all things being considered?

Me, I would be quite happy to get the Nexus again, as I think the optical trackball could be a little less precise than the manual version. Plus, the delay of Sense updates......but then again, it is cheaper with more RAM?!?

Oh decisions, decisions

Okay, so this could be a bit contentious but if you had the choice now, would you get the Nexus or wait for the HTC Desire, all things being considered?

The Nexus One because it does not have HTC's SenseUI. I vastly prefer stock Android.

I don't think Sense is needed or desirable (ha) with Android 2.1 and above (or even 2.0).

Upvote 0
Nexus, for many reasons:

- available to me NOW
- carrier-free OS
- unbranded by carrier
- unlocked
- no Sense-UI, means quicker updates
- prefer the haptic buttons
- like the trackbal LED notification light
- not sold by a carrier
- cleaner looking design
- looks better
- Noise Cancelling!! :D

Upvote 0

Me, I would be quite happy to get the Nexus again, as I think the optical trackball could be a little less precise than the manual version. Plus, the delay of Sense updates......but then again, it is cheaper with more RAM?!?

Oh decisions, decisions
what you said about the trackball vs trackpad is exactly what i was thinking the other day. i had a phone with an optical trackpad and a trackball is more precise when picking links on webpages. also, the nexus one will more than likely get updates much faster than the desire

Upvote 0
what you said about the trackball vs trackpad is exactly what i was thinking the other day. i had a phone with an optical trackpad and a trackball is more precise when picking links on webpages. also, the nexus one will more than likely get updates much faster than the desire

Will be interesting to see how accurate the optical will be when trying to hit a small link on the screen. Prefer the soft keys to the hard ones on the Hero.

Miss the clock widget though.

Upvote 0
desire because it improves on all of the n1 flaws... but in the end it only comes down to if you like sense or not....... i do but the updates are ridiculous.i say function over beauty.

Nexus, for many reasons:

- available to me NOW
- carrier-free OS
- unbranded by carrier
- unlocked
- not sold by a carrier
- cleaner looking design
- looks better
desire had noise cancceling with straight talk light like the hd2... and every android has haptics that has soft keys lol........
the rest is cool i just think the desire looks better as does the os....... thats what it was made for lol.

Upvote 0
I do really like Sense Widgets(people, calendar, clock, weather, texts, etc). I really miss them on M's N1. We bought a few apps from Market to fulfill this gap but still I cannot find all the "right" widgets on the Market which Sense has.
i thought you would mention that you can now buy or download for free new htc apps right form the phone lol.. because that i think is a GREAT idea.

o and the fact that when you have a homescreen thats empty and cant fill it nicely you can just slap a full screen htc app on it lol BRILLIANT. (QUIETLY) no pun.

Upvote 0
Having had a HTC Hero for ages, yes Sense UI is awesome, and in some ways I do miss it, particularly for the ease of copy and paste in the browser. However look how long it's taking for HTC to skin 2.1 and bring it over to the Hero. Therefore I prefer the speed at which the N1 will receive updates over the Desire, and not having to wait for HTC to modify firmware.

Upvote 0
Having had a HTC Hero for ages, yes Sense UI is awesome, and in some ways I do miss it, particularly for the ease of copy and paste in the browser. However look how long it's taking for HTC to skin 2.1 and bring it over to the Hero. Therefore I prefer the speed at which the N1 will receive updates over the Desire, and not having to wait for HTC to modify firmware.

Maybe that will change with so many android phones announced by HTC?

Upvote 0
desire had noise cancceling with straight talk light like the hd2... and every android has haptics that has soft keys lol........
the rest is cool i just think the desire looks better as does the os....... thats what it was made for lol.
I don't believe the HTC has the same type of noise canceling technology (the Nexus One uses dual mics).

Upvote 0
I would take the Desire, for a few reasons:

1) I prefer hardware buttons as opposed to touch buttons, you can feel what your doing a lot easier (even with haptic feedback)
2) It has slightly more RAM. I know, it's probably negligible, but why settle for less?
3) I'm not worried about the updates. It's annoying with the Hero, because there is so much it can't do (bluetooth file transfer, several apps need 1.6, multiple Gmail accounts e.t.c). With Android 2.1, the phone will do everything I want it to. Yeah updates are great, but the phone is great as it is, so I won't worry too much about missing out on anything.
4) I really like Sense UI. I have been running an AOSP ROM for several months now, but recently went back to a Sense ROM and realised how much I missed it. They have some great widgets (clock with weather, mail and peep for the main), and the only seem to be getting better with the update.
5) It also has an improved bluetooth radio (2.1 vs. 2.0)

There is also the point that if something really amazing appears in the next iteration of Android, and HTC are dragging their heels while the Nexus One has it, then as MoDaCo has proven that the two devices are pretty interchangeable and I can root and go AOSP if I want to. The dual mics, while a nice addition are not really a draw for me. I've never had a phone with them, and the voice clarity has never been a problem.

Nexus, for many reasons:

- available to me NOW
- carrier-free OS
- unbranded by carrier
- unlocked
- not sold by a carrier
- cleaner looking design
- looks better

If I get it, I will be getting it off contract, which kinda makes the points above in bold moot, as I can get the Desire carrier-free, unbranded, unlocked and not sold by a carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones