If you had to choose now, which one - Nexus or Desire?

Nexus or Desire......and what is your reasoning

1. Nexus

65 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Desire

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Last Updated:

1. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, so this could be a bit contentious but if you had the choice now, would you get the Nexus or wait for the HTC Desire, all things being considered?

Me, I would be quite happy to get the Nexus again, as I think the optical trackball could be a little less precise than the manual version. Plus, the delay of Sense updates......but then again, it is cheaper with more RAM?!?

Oh decisions, decisions

Advertisement
  2. bitxboi

bitxboi Well-Known Member

Nexus One pros:
    • Vanilla Android OS
    • Noise Cancellation Mics

HTC Desire pros:
    • Optical trackpad (neater finish)

3. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

The Nexus One because it does not have HTC's SenseUI. I vastly prefer stock Android.

I don't think Sense is needed or desirable (ha) with Android 2.1 and above (or even 2.0).

4. herojames

herojames Active Member

nexus one

when our nexus ones are running android 3.0 the htc's will still be on version 2.1

also once google fixes a few issues with android it will be even faster and amazing, ie sorting the kernel out so we can use all the ram

5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Desire.

It'll be the only one of the 2 that carriers in the UK will actually stock, so we can get better support for failures, and almost certainly get for free under contract.

6. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Nexus One:

Vanilla Android - updates

Looks better - finish, larger amount of cheap plastic on lower part of desire and I don't like the hardware buttons on Desire

Rarity - I'm sure Desire will be popular in the uk with HTC and carrier advertising. I partly got the Nexus One to be a bit different.

7. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Nexus, for many reasons:

- available to me NOW
    - carrier-free OS
    - unbranded by carrier
    - unlocked
    - no Sense-UI, means quicker updates
    - prefer the haptic buttons
    - like the trackbal LED notification light
    - not sold by a carrier
    - cleaner looking design
    - looks better
    - Noise Cancelling!! :D

8. seeking

seeking Well-Known Member

nexus because google has its back, all the updates will come to us first, i really dont see myself using a new phone untill google releases its next phone

9. Trey1

Trey1 Member

I think they're a toss up, so I'd base my decision on which carrier I wanted to be with. Since I was already a TMobile customer, I'd probably go with the Nexus again.

I really, really like the noise reduction system on the Nexus, but the Desire looks just a little sleeker.

10. club968

club968 Well-Known Member

What seeking said. I can't really see getting another phone until google decides to release a "nexus two". Of course if I accidentally drop mine somewhere down the road and need to get another phone, I may try out the Desire until the next google phone comes out.

11. alamoe

alamoe Well-Known Member

what you said about the trackball vs trackpad is exactly what i was thinking the other day. i had a phone with an optical trackpad and a trackball is more precise when picking links on webpages. also, the nexus one will more than likely get updates much faster than the desire

12. vladsoft

vladsoft Member

Desire
    + HW Buttons

but i can't buy N1 in my country so Desire is only choice

13. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

Stock Android = faster updates.

Nexus One delivers that. :)

14. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will be interesting to see how accurate the optical will be when trying to hit a small link on the screen. Prefer the soft keys to the hard ones on the Hero.

Miss the clock widget though.

15. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

nexus one for the updates.

16. adamlovesu

adamlovesu Well-Known Member

desire because it improves on all of the n1 flaws... but in the end it only comes down to if you like sense or not....... i do but the updates are ridiculous.i say function over beauty.

desire had noise cancceling with straight talk light like the hd2... and every android has haptics that has soft keys lol........
    the rest is cool i just think the desire looks better as does the os....... thats what it was made for lol.

17. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

Will get Desire because
    - I fell in love with Sense UI
    - I like hard keys
    - Will be available from carrier in UK
    - My Missis has N1 so we always can swap :)

18. adamlovesu

may i ask what about sense ui you like? im just wondering because i wanna see if what i think is right lol.

19. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

I do really like Sense Widgets(people, calendar, clock, weather, texts, etc). I really miss them on M's N1. We bought a few apps from Market to fulfill this gap but still I cannot find all the "right" widgets on the Market which Sense has.

20. adamlovesu

i thought you would mention that you can now buy or download for free new htc apps right form the phone lol.. because that i think is a GREAT idea.

o and the fact that when you have a homescreen thats empty and cant fill it nicely you can just slap a full screen htc app on it lol BRILLIANT. (QUIETLY) no pun.

21. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

And to be honest I don't want both of us to have same phone... so N1 and Desire will be a great set :) And as I said we can swap them every week :))) just do hard reset and set-up it again with your Gaccount...

22. stoosh

stoosh Member

Having had a HTC Hero for ages, yes Sense UI is awesome, and in some ways I do miss it, particularly for the ease of copy and paste in the browser. However look how long it's taking for HTC to skin 2.1 and bring it over to the Hero. Therefore I prefer the speed at which the N1 will receive updates over the Desire, and not having to wait for HTC to modify firmware.

23. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

Maybe that will change with so many android phones announced by HTC?

24. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I don't believe the HTC has the same type of noise canceling technology (the Nexus One uses dual mics).

25. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

I would take the Desire, for a few reasons:

1) I prefer hardware buttons as opposed to touch buttons, you can feel what your doing a lot easier (even with haptic feedback)
    2) It has slightly more RAM. I know, it's probably negligible, but why settle for less?
    3) I'm not worried about the updates. It's annoying with the Hero, because there is so much it can't do (bluetooth file transfer, several apps need 1.6, multiple Gmail accounts e.t.c). With Android 2.1, the phone will do everything I want it to. Yeah updates are great, but the phone is great as it is, so I won't worry too much about missing out on anything.
    4) I really like Sense UI. I have been running an AOSP ROM for several months now, but recently went back to a Sense ROM and realised how much I missed it. They have some great widgets (clock with weather, mail and peep for the main), and the only seem to be getting better with the update.
    5) It also has an improved bluetooth radio (2.1 vs. 2.0)

There is also the point that if something really amazing appears in the next iteration of Android, and HTC are dragging their heels while the Nexus One has it, then as MoDaCo has proven that the two devices are pretty interchangeable and I can root and go AOSP if I want to. The dual mics, while a nice addition are not really a draw for me. I've never had a phone with them, and the voice clarity has never been a problem.

If I get it, I will be getting it off contract, which kinda makes the points above in bold moot, as I can get the Desire carrier-free, unbranded, unlocked and not sold by a carrier.