• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you love games on phone, avoid android.

I use an LCD Computer monitor for my xbox 360, 22" and can play at 1680x1050 (although I use 1280x1024) Now, lets see the gaming community difference... And the total cost difference over 5 years.....

Console Win (Xbox 360 FTW)
Err, I tend to disagree. I don't really care for console gaming much anymore. I still have my Xbox, since I still like playing and talking online with my friends, and I will admit my system is hardly recent. Now I pretty much play Garry's Mod on system its not even supposed to run on (Celeron Pentium III, 512 MB SDRAM). Later on I will upgrade to something that can handle Youtube videos adequately, lol. I find PCs to be a much more interesting platform. You have mods, larger servers, and sometimes the community is great.

And believe it or not, you can build a pretty nice system for about 500-600 dollars. Its pretty much a myth that you need to spend $2000+ on a system. You can if want top of the line everything, but its not needed and more often then not, its just overkill.

And naturally, since a gaming PC is just a high performance computer, it works really well for encoding videos and other processor intensive tasks.

Upvote 0
I was discussing this tonight with my ten-year-old son. He doesn't even think of the iPhone or Android products as "gaming" platforms. As far as he's concerned, they're phones and multimedia devices.

He's much more inclined to go with a single-purpose device, such as his Wii or his DS to play games. Though he'll play on my computer (Ubuntu 9.1) or my wife's computer (Wintendo), he is much more happy on the console or hand-held.

On that note, however, I just setup Twisty (a z-machine emulator) and TrafficJam. I like the idea of hours playing text-based RPGs.

As for MAME, I see there's an emulator - Android Arcade – MAME Emulator for Android on G1 – Android and Me - no idea ATM of how it works.

Upvote 0
No way dude. I wish we could set up a halo match, I'll use XBOX 360 on my home theater setup, and you could use a PC. I will pwn you.

Yup, you sure would, but mostly because I don't like Halo, so I don't play it. Don't have an xBox360 either, I got a PS3 so I wouldn't have to worry about the RRoD:p I don't play many FPS games anymore anyways, they got too be a little too repetitive to me. Used to play Unreal Tournament a lot back in the day, and plenty of other PC games, but I don't have the same control using dual thumbsticks, and that has nothing to do with the size of my screen, I just don't like the controls.

Upvote 0
Wrongo..

I concur with the fact FPS are MUUUCH better on a console..

And my PC gaming goes back to Vic 20's and my Apple II and IIe days.
Right up to my current gaming pc's. But like a great deal of people i know, i feel the console is better..

Just my 0.02
After playing Half Life on the PC, I now know what I've been missing. I feel that I have a much better amount of control on the PC then on a console. Joysticks are too inaccurate for precise aiming, and that's why all console games have some degree of autoaim. On PC's, its optional or non-existent.

Upvote 0
After playing Half Life on the PC, I now know what I've been missing. I feel that I have a much better amount of control on the PC then on a console. Joysticks are too inaccurate for precise aiming, and that's why all console games have some degree of autoaim. On PC's, its optional or non-existent.

Actually, precision on aiming with consoles with completely skill/hand eye co-ordination based, so it's a problem with the user, not the game.

Upvote 0
ITT:

nmPcg.jpg

Upvote 0
I like Android and all, but the excuses on the games issue aren't cutting it. Android sucks in the game department and just because the Xbox or PS3 is better doesn't cut it. I'm sure those saying that wouldn't be saying if Android had games to the caliber of the iPhone app store.

I'm holding out for some good stuff on Android, but if nothing happens, I'll be buying an iPod touch for my gaming needs.

Upvote 0
I like Android and all, but the excuses on the games issue aren't cutting it. Android sucks in the game department and just because the Xbox or PS3 is better doesn't cut it. I'm sure those saying that wouldn't be saying if Android had games to the caliber of the iPhone app store.

I'm holding out for some good stuff on Android, but if nothing happens, I'll be buying an iPod touch for my gaming needs.

Buying an iPod touch for GAMING is just about the silliest thing I've heard today. Ever here of a PSP or DS(x)?

Upvote 0
Yeah and there is also psp,Ds and apple koolaid all at your disposal. Tell your friend to come over to my house and i'll show him splinter cell on my Xbox or ps3 on a 52' Tv and i promise he will be the one embarrassed .

i totally agree. i see no point in playing piddly arsed games on a cell phone. i'd rather fire up my 360 on my 50" plasma any day.

Upvote 0
Ah, bitter sweet reality.

Unfortunately. Seeing though as Android seems to finally be hitting it's stride, and given Apple's more recent blunder, I think the games will start flowing in anytime now. I hope so anyways.

I just want words with friends, that was fun as heck. The EA/Hasbro Scrabble game is rubbish, it is slow and looks and feels like a j2me game just ported, which it might be.

Words with Friends would be perfect for Android. Make it compatible with iOS users, and you got yourself something great!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately. Seeing though as Android seems to finally be hitting it's stride, and given Apple's more recent blunder, I think the games will start flowing in anytime now. I hope so anyways.

Words with Friends would be perfect for Android. Make it compatible with iOS users, and you got yourself something great!

I agree with this. Cross-Platform multi-player game would be a GREAT thing. Could you imagine playing COD:MW2 on your xbox 360, with a friend on a PS3, and another on a PC?

Upvote 0
Actually, precision on aiming with consoles with completely skill/hand eye co-ordination based, so it's a problem with the user, not the game.
Yes. But its pretty well known that if you go into a PC game with a gamepad, your going to get dominated. Gamepads are just too slow and inaccurate for mouse and keyboard combos in FPS games. Although they are better for driving games, since driving with a keyboard is just a pain when you need precise steering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones