if you start over with 1.5...General

Last Updated:

1. m80

m80 Member This Topic's Starter

I have an Eris with 1.5. I had an Eris that I had leak 2.1v3 and had issues with it. Took it to VZW and they sent me a new phone. I've had it for almost 6 weeks. I haven't had any problems with it.

So I am wondering what everyone would do if they could start over. Root, OTA, etc. By the way, I downloaded the OTA update but haven't let it install. The reminder pops up a lot. Annoying...

Advertisement
  2. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

if you have 1.5 ..... as far as rooting is concerned theres no downside to taking the OTA......... going to 2.1 OTA will leave your hboot the same...... which means you will still be able to root after the update

3. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I was the same way had 1.5 and wouldnt update to 2.1. finally gave into 2.1 then was like wtf lets root, best decision ive every made with this phone..

4. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

You should either root your phone, or at least trade it with someone who's stuck with HBOOT 1.49 S-ON and can't root.

5. cornbreadfarts

cornbreadfarts Well-Known Member

that would be the nice thing to do

6. m80

m80 Member This Topic's Starter

I wanted to root for sure, but I guess my question now would be, root now then then update to OTA 2.1, or update to OTA 2.1 then root. Or does it even matter?

7. thenestor

I'd say, do the update first, that way Verizon has it in their system that you took the upgrade. In the end it doesn't really matter since rooting overwrites your system image with an older version of 2.1, and then you have to install a ROM to get back up to the current version.

8. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

When you root, odds are you'll use a ROM based on 2.1, so why do it twice ? For comfort (for now), use a ROM like Ivan's. It will look exactly like a stock 2.1 phone.

9. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Do they care ? With previous upgrades, if you did them via the download (from PCD Phones), VZW wouldn't know. Granted, they haven't made the update available (yet) from PCD...

10. thenestor

Yeah, I only suggested it because people were getting emails from Verizon saying, "Hey, you haven't upgraded yet!" If you come to them with a problem later, they're going to say it's because you haven't upgraded. And then if you tell them you did upgrade, they're going to argue with you and tell you you're wrong.

11. buff12db

buff12db Well-Known Member

Well, I did start over after returning my V3 leak phone because of a trackball issue that my refurb also has (but is not even close to as bad as my first). I got the refurb in the middle of OTA. As soon as I turned it on, it prompted me to upgrade. I ignored and rooted.
    I definitely think I getting the most out of my phone now. I'm not even close to 100% happy with this phone, but with root I'm much happier than I was on the leaks.