• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you use Craigslist please read this. My friend was murdered over a bad transaction

The reason I posted this is because my roommate sells a lot of stuff via these kind of sites and He always has someone with him and does it in a public place. I thought this stuff was common knowledge, but obviously it isnt.
The lack of compassion some people have for another humans life is sickening....
So again. Please be safe and smart about these kind of things. Im sure this wont be the last time something like this happens, but spreading the word hopefully we can greatly reduce cases like this.

Upvote 0
633518416621637065-Firepower---The-more-the-merrier---Motivational-Army-Poster.jpg

...at least in the case of meeting some random dude you heard about online to sell something.

Upvote 0
I do a lot of sales on Craigslist, ALWAYS in a public place, major parking lots with lots of traffic, just because some people have no respect.

I have been to someones house to buy something though. Very nice people and welcomed me right in. First thing that popped in my head was all the stuff in the house that I saw worth money, but I am no thief.

Upvote 0
It cracks me up how people want to blame Craigslist and say that Craigslist is full of evil people. Wrong! The WORLD is full of evil people and Craigslist is merely a cross section of this evil that is prevalent in the world. People like to assign labels to the bad things that happen every day as a coping mechanism by convincing themselves that it won't/can't happen to them if they just don't (insert label here) the way the other person did.

The truth of the matter is untold evils are happening to good innocent people all over this country daily and while you may not here it on your local news at night believe me when I say it happens in your little quiet patch of the country too. The ONLY thing you can do is take responsibility for your own life and start being an asset to society instead of a burden. If you carry protection (I'm not talking about condoms here people) and train yourself on how to use said protection then you are a HUGE step in the right direction to preventing this from happening to you our your loved ones.

Wake up people. This IS real life.

Sorry for your loss but the real lesson here isn't to avoid Craigslist it's to value your life and that of your loved ones enough to protect it YOURSELF.

Upvote 0
It cracks me up how people want to blame Craigslist and say that Craigslist is full of evil people. Wrong! The WORLD is full of evil people and Craigslist is merely a cross section of this evil that is prevalent in the world. People like to assign labels to the bad things that happen every day as a coping mechanism by convincing themselves that it won't/can't happen to them if they just don't (insert label here) the way the other person did.

The truth of the matter is untold evils are happening to good innocent people all over this country daily and while you may not here it on your local news at night believe me when I say it happens in your little quiet patch of the country too. The ONLY thing you can do is take responsibility for your own life and start being an asset to society instead of a burden. If you carry protection (I'm not talking about condoms here people) and train yourself on how to use said protection then you are a HUGE step in the right direction to preventing this from happening to you our your loved ones.

Wake up people. This IS real life.

Sorry for your loss but the real lesson here isn't to avoid Craigslist it's to value your life and that of your loved ones enough to protect it YOURSELF.

Okay Gunslinger... Where in this post did ANYONE blame this on craigslist or say to stop selling on craigslist???? No where... All anyone is saying is be smart about where you do the transaction.
Im all for gun possession and knowing how to use a gun, but that doesnt always fix every problem.

Upvote 0
Okay Gunslinger...

I stopped reading at this point. If you want to have an intelligible conversation this isn't a good way to start it.

please lock this thread so no one else can add to this... that way they can only read the article and hopefully learn from others mistakes.

And that lesson in your opinion is? Clearly my take didn't meet your approval.

Upvote 0
Hey youre right. I apologize for calling names. Thats def. is not the best way to start off a conversation.
Im still kind of shook up over the thing, so again i apologize.
I completely agree that self protection is needed and I am currently looking into getting a concealed weapons permit and a hand gun. I dont think that this is the answer to everything, but I do think that it is a huge step forward that people can make. I can think of many times where things could have been prevented if people were to take more steps to protect themselves instead of giving society the "benefit of being honest".
I wasnt trying to say "dont use craigslist, its all their fault"!! I use craigslist and will continue to do so. All Im trying to do here is make people more aware of the risks theyre taking by doing this and to be smart about how you do your business.
I thought things like meeting in a public place was common knowledge, but i guess not.
So please people use common sense when buying and selling stuff on the classifieds.

again one more time. I am sorry Sak.

Upvote 0
Hey youre right. I apologize for calling names. Thats def. is not the best way to start off a conversation.
Im still kind of shook up over the thing, so again i apologize.
I completely agree that self protection is needed and I am currently looking into getting a concealed weapons permit and a hand gun. I dont think that this is the answer to everything, but I do think that it is a huge step forward that people can make. I can think of many times where things could have been prevented if people were to take more steps to protect themselves instead of giving society the "benefit of being honest".
I wasnt trying to say "dont use craigslist, its all their fault"!! I use craigslist and will continue to do so. All Im trying to do here is make people more aware of the risks theyre taking by doing this and to be smart about how you do your business.
I thought things like meeting in a public place was common knowledge, but i guess not.
So please people use common sense when buying and selling stuff on the classifieds.

again one more time. I am sorry Sak.

I completely agree with everything you just said and I'm sorry if you took it personal when I was talking about people wanting to label things as that portion (and much of my post) wasn't directed towards you specifically. I think we're all on the same page that protecting yourself is a good thing and it won't prevent EVERYTHING but it will prevent most things. I mean, it's not the answer for everything but doing nothing is the answer for nothing. Sorry for your loss.

I refuse to give out my home address, phone numbers or any personal information on CL and my wife does the same. I meet people at a 7-Eleven or a couple other similar public places depending on which area they are coming from. I'm 285lbs (yes, that's my wife in my avatar and she's an even better shot than me), hand to hand combat trained and I STILL carry not one but TWO firearms at all times that I'm very well trained with how to use them. If you are relying on your fighting skills to protect you then you are a victim in the waiting. Be smart with ALL of your dealings. Going with two people in a public place in the daylight is a great start but I like to be an example to people that no matter how big or bad ass you are you are NOT in control and a firearm is the neutralizer for just about every situation. As a country we need to get out of our head that ALL people who carry firearms are criminals save for law enforcement officers because that's just not the case. Anyway, I'm getting off on a tangent here because the loss of innocent life bugs me and normally I'm quite reserved.

Again, sorry for your loss. RIP.

Upvote 0
I don't have a gun. I don't think that I should have one because I am not the kind of person who should own one in my opinion. My solution to this: I don't have one but I surround myself with people who do so if the crap hits the fan, there is about a 1 in 10000 chance that someone who really has it coming is going to get shot.

In all other cases, I just try to keep myself out of situations where I would need a weapon. I don't invite strangers to (by invite, I mean broadcast the location of) the house. I established a relationship with my neighbors and we all kind of look in on each other.

There are a lot of people out there who try to live in the world the way it should be vs. the way it is.

Upvote 0
I don't have a gun. I don't think that I should have one because I am not the kind of person who should own one in my opinion. My solution to this: I don't have one but I surround myself with people who do so if the crap hits the fan, there is about a 1 in 10000 chance that someone who really has it coming is going to get shot.

In all other cases, I just try to keep myself out of situations where I would need a weapon. I don't invite strangers to (by invite, I mean broadcast the location of) the house. I established a relationship with my neighbors and we all kind of look in on each other.

There are a lot of people out there who try to live in the world the way it should be vs. the way it is.

Sounds like you are guilty of doing what you claim others do. Sometimes, no matter what you try to avoid, trouble finds you. You can't always pick and choose what situations you are in otherwise no victim would ever choose to be in the situation that got them stabbed, robbed, raped or worse. I can't control everyone around me but I can control myself and how I prepare for everyone around me. Trying to avoid situations you perceive as increased risk will only get you so far.

Upvote 0
I can accept that. I also agree that you should do the best you can to control your situation. I feel that I do. Even if you do have a weapon, there is always someone out there with a weapon that may be better with it than you. It is good that you minimize that risk by improving your ability to defend yourself, but it does not make you invincible.

If you ever feel like watching old TV, there's this show called Millenium. There were many situations where the people took what they thought was every precaution to keep their homes and families safe, but there was always some element that was just better than they were or lucky and the atrocities were inflicted on them anyway.

You can't always live your life in fear, but there is no need to be foolishly careless, either. I won't be an easy victim of opportunity but I know how limited my ability to defend myself is and I am at peace with it because I know those limitations were placed by me. Someone like me owning a gun isn't going to make anyone safer. I wouldn't say that about a lot of other people, but I've had a few decades with myself. Trust me on this one. ;)

Upvote 0
This, as well as many other examples, is the reason myself AND my wife are proficient with the many firearms we keep in our home. I have my concealed carry permit and she is planning on getting hers. Although the government seems to be taking steps everyday to hinder the 2nd amendment. Like a great american once said...."From My Cold Dead Hands"!!!

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones