If you were going to switch from OV...General

1. sushifor5

sushifor5 Well-Known Member

...which smartphone from Virginmobile would you get and why? I've loved my OV, but see these new options on the VM website and am wondering if another model would be advantageous, especially for streaming movies...

Advertisement
    :
  2. commonmanqqq

commonmanqqq New Member

Moto Triumph is the best that I can do. CAN'T give up my $25 plan!!!!!
    blmbmj likes this.
  3. CuriousNoob

CuriousNoob Well-Known Member

HTC One V, 10 dollars more isnt bad for me :p
  4. cammykool

cammykool Well-Known Member

Cm you have a wfas? start porting man!
  5. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

If I was going to switch from the V (again) and had to remain on VM's craptastic network I'd go with the Evo.

If I had to stay on a grandfathered plan I'd stay with the Optimus V. I only switched to the Optimus Elite because I managed to get it in on the grandfathered plan. Otherwise I'd still be using my Optimus V.
  6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

I am extremely happy with my one v and haven't even rooted it yet.
  7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Come to the dark side. We have cookies. ;)
    brotherswing and Encerspay like this.
  8. MacFett

It isn't a matter of wanting or not. It is a matter of money. I'm hoping when I get $200 saved I can get VM to replace my busted ass Elite and I can sell the new/refurb to fund the rest of my Nexus and hop on the T-Mo bandwagon.
  9. a5pe4

a5pe4 Well-Known Member

Only thing I dislike about the nexus is the battery life. Other than that what a deal!
  10. bbrannon

bbrannon Member

Bought an HTC One V on a new number so as not to risk my$25. Was willing to bite the $35 bullet but alas the connectivity was still the same. If I'm going to spend another $180 on a phone then it will be a real one with real service. (Great little phone though.) After much gnashing of teeth I finally rooted the V. Dah! Had this thing for a year and a half and ended up with a really cool phone for free after a couple of hours messing around. Link2sd and and an additional FAT 32 partition on the uSD card expanded the phones mini memory by a GB. Suddenly tons of space, no uninstalling maps updates and trying to decide which apps were really important. Being able to use the real Facebook app instead of finding something I can move to the SD card. Now works like it should have in the first place. Still using the stock ROM. Even Netflix works with no space issues.
  11. Encerspay

Encerspay Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going for the One V when my Optimus V dies out a long time from now. Quite hackable, and price isn't bad.
  12. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

It's the Evo V 4G for me (if they ever get a decent 4G network where I live).
  13. MacFett

AFAIK only the Evo V has 4G right now. The One V is just 3G.
  14. AndyOpie150

Thanks for catching that mistake. Edited my post.
    Brains fried! Been working too hard on getting a wireless connection on my new Ubuntu 12.04 distro, without a wired connection and an ancient wireless card (decided I'd give Ubuntu a try and dual booted). Finally figured it out. I went down my usual hard road first, but it turned out to be quite simple.

Yes: The HTC Evo V 3G/4G is the way to go without a doubt, if Virgin Mobile gets 4G in my area.
  15. GoCrew

GoCrew Member

I am saving my pennies for an EVO. When I was with Sprint, I couldn't justify the monthly price for a smartphone. VM got me an android phone and unlimited data for 45% of what I would have spent at Sprint. But I so wanted an EVO, and still do. I think by the time time I have saved up enough, there might be a better phone to be had.
  16. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

I'm too accustomed to my OV. I honestly think mine has many years left in it, so for me shopping for a new phone is a moot point at best. If my OV died tomorrow, I'd have to get the Venture.
  17. AndyOpie150

I obtained a used 2.1 with Novatek screen that is better than my current phone. My current V was purchased in May of last year, and is still going strong. By the time VM gets a decent 4G network in my location I'll probably just be having to use the backup. Won't switch until it's finally dead.
    brotherswing likes this.
  18. ph37rd

ph37rd Member

If I were to switch phones, it would be to the EVO, as it's the only phone VM has that supports anything remotely similar to 4G LTE (WiMAX). Although, considering that most of us love our little OV's and will probably run with them till they drop dead, mobile WiMAX from Sprint has a stated end-of-life sometime in 2015. Does it make sense for us to consider a phone that at best has limited support from the carrier? Probably not. So faster speeds means switching carriers and dealing with technology almost 2 generations behind (if you stay no-contract).

Contract carriers (aka finance companies) make their bank by financing phones for two years. Trying to keep Apples to Apples (pun intended) for the sake of this example: both VM and Sprint have the iPhone 4s. The listed unactivated price for both is $650 and that is where the similarity ends.

Sprint is currently offering the 4s for $100 with the least expensive unlimited text and data plan with 450 minutes at $70. VM has their unlimited text and data plan at $35 with 300 minutes. (Close enough for this comparison)

VM - total cost of ownership for two years: $650 + (24 x $35) = $1490
    Sprint total cost of ownership for two years: $100 + (24 x $70) = $1780

Almost $300 dollars more over the two year contract. It's worse when you consider unlimited everything, that results in a $530 difference.

Paying that much more just to get a cheaper entry point? Not for me. I'll stick with my OV running ICS and over 100 apps till the thing drops dead or I decide to switch to something like a T-Mobile no-contract plan at $45 a month unlimited everything with a phone similar to their $350 Sammy GS2. At least with something like this T-Mobile plan, you get a reasonably decent phone with 4G (HSPA+) coverage. Not to mention far better building penetration than Sprint.
  19. arsenal6106

arsenal6106 Member

Can you stay with 25 plan if you switched to the optimus slider?
  20. Phatninja55

Phatninja55 Well-Known Member

When (Yes, when not if) I switch, it wont be to another Virgin Mobile phone. Sprint has very crappy reception in my area. The only time I can ever actually use my phone is when I go to my Grandmas in Iowa witch is 45 minutes away from where I live.
    Back on topic, I would recommend the Evo v.
    Encerspay likes this.
  21. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

can't give up my $25mo plan, plus I can't give up the easy tethering and other things the OV can do with out needing to root.

though have been waiting to get the GF a new phone and the elite at $99 often would be the one id get her.
  22. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

I was just on VM's website, the elite is on sale for $79.00 !

Other phones on sale too!
  23. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

If I had the money, I'd get the One V.
  24. Encerspay

Encerspay Well-Known Member

I have sucky Sprint coverage so I'll probably go to T-Mobile with a used cheap Galaxy Nexus.
    a5pe4 likes this.
  25. rcsrich

rcsrich Well-Known Member

My issue with the VM phones is that they are all (so far) WiMax- is Sprint really going to spend money on adding to its WiMax network when they are trying to focus on expanding their LTE coverage?

Just a thought...