If your Hero is laggy and the battery dies quick..

Last Updated:

1. mbell75

mbell75 Banned This Topic's Starter

..its because of the coverage in your area. I will explain. I live in Anaheim, CA by Disneyland and I most always have a full signal. On occasion it will drop down one bar but thats it. I am always in 3G areas with a EVDO working. I get no lag at all on anything and my battery lasts a full day with pretty good usage...until today.

Today I went up to Mtn High for some fun in the snow and my Hero wasnt too thrilled. While up there, I was at only one bar of signal strength and no EVDO, zero 3G coverage. I got to fully experience the pain of others today. The phone lagged for a few seconds just going between home screens. I had to wait a full 9 seconds (I counted) for the phone to get into landscape mode for a text message. Then when I typed, the lag between key presses was unreal. The internet was SLOW when it did connect, was a nightmare. On the way back down the hill, my battery life was already at 22% at 4:15pm and I wasnt even using the phone up there! In my home area, I would have still been at 50-60% easy. Obviously drained from searching for coverage and dropping to no signal and back to one bar.

Once we got back where I had full signal, EVDO and 3G coverage, guess what? My phone was working flawlessly as usual. No lag at all between home screens, landscape mode came up in a flash, keyboard worked as usual, my texts went thru in a few seconds...all was right again.

There is no way that my Hero could go from working perfectly with great coverage to hardly working in the mountains with next to no coverage and then back to working perfectly again within 4 hours. So to those complaining about some or most of what experience I had today, you should know its most likely not your phone. Especially if you have exchanged it for several new ones that all do the same thing. Its Sprint's coverage in your area.

Advertisement
  2. awesomecomb

awesomecomb Well-Known Member

was it cold up there?

3. cambo

cambo Member

Its no secret that your phone will kill its battery searching for a signal and/or roaming. Its the reason why I like to turn it off when i get to the slopes.

4. mbell75

Right, but what about all the other problems? Most people are blaming the phone when I think its safe to say its far more likely the coverage in their area. It was 60 degrees there, been colder than that here at night and my phone still works just fine here. Wasnt the weather.

5. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

I would agree with you. At work, my Hero is constantly going from roaming to not roaming to no signal at all. It does this all day at my desk. At best, I have a singal strength of -105dB, but more often 0. If I go to one of the outer offices, then it will settle down and lock onto a weak signal (-89dB). I leave the house in the morning with a full charge and with little or no use, I'll be at 20% by 5:00. On the weekends, I can make it morning to midnight with a lot more usage but also a much stronger signal.

Sprint is supposed to install a "mini-tower" system in our building in a few weeks so hopefully the weak signal days will be a thing of the past.

6. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

it CAN be your service, but not necessarily. I live in an area with virtually no service, I'm lucky to get 2 bars, roaming or not. And yet, I can still get 18+ hours out of my battery, with moderate use. Partially because I manage it by turning mobile network off and using WiFi instead at home.

Most of the complaints about battery draining quickly are due to buggy apps or ROM's. The lag tends to be due to various other issues with the same apps, as well as issues with the optimization of the stock ROM.

7. mbell75

BTW...If you ever go to the snow or somewhere cold, the "steamy window" app is priceless. I had my friend convinced for a good 10 minutes it was so cold that it was fogging up my screen :p