If you're having MMS problemsTips

Last Updated: 2015-05-03 05:19:10
  1. Lohung

Lohung Well-Known Member

ok guys, for everyone who is having problems with MMS i have been talking to Verizon and have found an issue. You CANNOT receive MMS messages view txt while using WiFi aparently the engineers at VZW has set it up that they control the MMS throughout the entire delivery system. So, they will not allow it to be downloaded via internet only through their 4g/3g system... hope it helps..

Also, the tech said he has an internal post from their "Moderator" guy for all the Techs to download THIS APP and generate bug reports and email him so they can work the bugs out. Whether ot not this goes to samsung or VZW idk but the feel was he would kick it to Samsung so even if your not with Verizon i would encourage you to get the app so samsung and make better informed bug updates.

Advertisement
    trackzero likes this.
  2. NMSPEED

NMSPEED Active Member

I still have problems receiving them and am never on Wifi
  3. elmerjr128

elmerjr128 Well-Known Member

Bunk. I've received countless MMS messages while on Wifi.
  4. dhworph

dhworph Well-Known Member

I just sent an MMS on wifi, so it seems to be working --- it shows the time sent, not just hanging on 'sending'. I'll try to test receiving.

It could possibly be a wifi network protocol restriction if you can't get it to work, eh?
  5. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member

I'm on WIFI all day every day at work. And get a thousand texts a day.

do you mean WIFI only? meaning you shut your data off (because i don't do that-I just walk in and the WIFI takes over)
  6. elmerjr128

elmerjr128 Well-Known Member

He means MMS, not SMS.
  7. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member

First off sorry, I knew i shouldn't of tried to answer a question (i'm usually the one asking...HaHa)

I did not realize that BUT I get MMS all day also. I work with a 19 year old kid and he sends them non-stop.
  8. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member

That cracks me up about the 19 year old kid :D I thought I would chime in that for a while, I could not download mms messages while on wifi but since I have been on 4.04 I have not had any issues. This is not to say that you cannot on 4.02 either....I just wasn't paying much attention then.
  9. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

MMS and wifi aren't related. When you're connected to wifi and send/receive MMS, it uses the data connection even though wifi is connected.
  10. dhworph

kinda off-topic but related, but SMS don't use data at all... in fact I've had SMS work many times when voice calls wouldn't... for example, when out on a hike.

So this is strictly a question about MMS.

I'm not sure I buy that (not that I know for sure).. Then how would WiFi save battery life if it was keeping the 4G connection open? Does the data radio go into a MMS only mode?
  11. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

I also think MMS is using mobile data connection, not WiFi. I think what happens when phone is on WiFi is that it enables mobile data connection temporarily to just transmit MMS and turns it off. But sometimes reconnecting with mobile data is slow, so that gives some folks impression that WiFi needs to be off for MMS to work.
  12. pool_shark

All you have to do is have your wifi connected and send a MMS, you can see the arrows over your signal bars moving to show the transmission of data.
    dhworph likes this.
  13. dhworph

...and the arrows don't show for other data uses over wifi? If that's the case, then I would buy it then. Nice detective work! :)
  14. rmrlc

rmrlc Well-Known Member

Turn your data off and try to send a mms.
  15. pool_shark

No, the arrows don't show for other data usage when connected to wifi.
    I tell people all the time when they say they're getting charged for data that it could be that they don't have unlimited mms which uses data.
  16. Lohung

Lohung Well-Known Member

ok, i get MMS every once in awhile through the Wifi setup but i have a lot of issues with it. when i am in 4g it goes... so their engineers have not setup the MMS to be used in the Wifi netwrok so if your getting your MMS through wifi you may be using another Txting program other than the default.. also you could be getting lucky... but i was told specifically through verizon tech lvl 2 i believe that its not meant to be received through Wifi..
  17. pool_shark

We're not saying we're receiving mms thru wifi. We're saying we're sending/receiving mms via 3/4G while connected to wifi.
    Having wifi connected does not stop mms.
  18. Lohung

Lohung Well-Known Member

i, and others, disable 4g when connected to wifi...
  19. pool_shark

Are you saying you intentionally turn off your data when you connect to wifi?

I have never had to turn off wifi to send/receive mms messages simply because 3/4G automatically comes on for mms.
    As I stated above all you have to do is watch the arrows moving over the signal bars. That's proof that it's using Verizon's network to transmit the data and not wifi.
  20. Lohung

Lohung Well-Known Member

i have JD which will turn off 4g when i am in a wifi area that i can connect to
  21. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I just recently traded my Nexus on vzw for a Note on at&t...I was having various issues with VZW's LTE network and getting service in my house. One of the main issues was I wasn't able to get any mms messages while on wifi...and while on 4G I would sometimes even receive messages 12 hours later. Anyway...it was a really annoying problem.
  22. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

My mms works great whether connected to wifi or not. Never had any issues on 4.0.2 or 4.0.3
    Crashumbc likes this.
  23. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Well-Known Member

I'm having what appears to be the opposite problem from everybody else here. I can't send MMS messages. Some go through, some don't. When they do go through in some cases it takes several hours. Sometimes its on 4G, other times its with 4G and WIFI. I'm using Handcent.
  24. pool_shark

Even though handcent has been updated, it still has trouble sending MMS.
    Sometimes it appears to not send, when it actually did.

I gave up and switched to Go sms. It sends them all the time.
    Homan13PSU likes this.
  25. Homan13PSU

Homan13PSU Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks man. Of the three SMS' I tried to send over the weekend, one took two hours, one went right away, the third never sent. I'll give Go a shot.