1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

iGolf Android App

Last Updated:

1. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just came back from playing a quick 9 holes at Riverwalk. I used the iGolf Android app and it was awesome. Easy to use and free course data.

Best part is it free! No membership or subscription.

If you are a golfer I highly recommend it.

Search for iGolf in the market.

Advertisement
    Heathbar likes this.
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Looks interesting. Might give it a shot.

3. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

Have you used any other golf apps? Is this one clearly the best? (Free is good!)

4. lexluthor

I had used freecaddie on windows mobile. Haven't tried anything on android. I might look at golfcard as well.

5. Karuk

I used the GolfLogics app and it's pretty good. I have one of the iGolf GPS devices (Saturn) and I like it. I have been waiting for their android app for a while.

Course database and quality of the app if what is important to me. I have found every course I play on iGolf and the new app looks really nice.

I think it's the best so far.

6. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

Great thanks! I'm going to try it on Sunday and I'll give my .02 afterwards.

7. gijoe411

gijoe411 Well-Known Member

uuh, i dont know how you figure they have free course data, they only give you the distances for the first hole, anything else you have to be a premium member...

What DOES have course data is SkyDroid. Some courses have distances for hazards and turns, others just have distances to the green. but its free.

8. Karuk

Not sure what you are looking at but I received front, center, back, and custom point distances for all holes.

If you are referring to course images specifically then you are correct. You do need a paid membership. I have one for my Saturn so I get all of the course images. I'm still using the free android app so I don't get all of the images.

I spent a lot of time researching golf gps devices before buying my iGolf Saturn. The device is rock solid and from a company that has been in around for a while. My second choice was skycaddie but the price of their device and membership is just to high.

I have used iGolf products and can recommend them based on regular use.

9. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

Yeah, you kind of lied here. You have to pay if you want aerial views.

Still, good free features, I'll see how I like it after I play 18...

10. Karuk

Not sure how I lied but whatever. I enjoy the app without course images.

11. jev

jev Well-Known Member

Just looked at it. Without paying, there's no way to add course data to the database. Not usable... next please!

12. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

About to download this one and try it out.

13. irishgator

irishgator Active Member

I like SKYDROID. It has a ton of courses. The author is quick to respond.

There are some open requests, so we'll see how long it takes for updates. But the software is great.

Just $2.00

14. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

I went on vacation and played golf 4 times. I tried iGolf and Skydroid...

Skydroid > iGolf. It's not even close, well worth the $2. I like how Skydroid lets you map courses that aren't already mapped. Also, I played 3 different courses with iGolf and none of them had more than half the holes mapped. Fail.

15. Karuk

What maps are you referring to? The free version I use only provides the map images for one hole. It does provide front, center, back and hazards for free on all holes. If you are getting images for more than that without paying you must have gotten lucky. I will be using the app again this week. Hope I get the images for free.

I don't have time to map my own course manually. The people I know who golf don't have the time either. That function might be nice for a few people but I'm not one of them.

It appears that Skydroid is counting on people spending 20-30 minutes (for a course you can find on google maps and play often) manually mapping a course. Once you spend your time mapping the course they save your mapping for everyone else to use. You are doing the work for them for free. NO THANKS! I'm not helping Skydroid build their database after having to pay for their app. FAIL!

16. droidx_fan

droidx_fan Well-Known Member

I tried Golflogix (sic?) on my old iPhone. Kind of worked okay but was just an incredible battery hog. Don't know if the same would be true for the Droid. Given the extensive use of GPS and processing, stands to reason.

I'm going to try Skydroid though next time I play assuming it has the course I play on it. Thanks for the tips!

17. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

Golf Digest has a new app out that is currently on sale for 1.99 since it's new. 9.99 after september 1st I think. I went ahead and got it and I'll be trying it out on Friday I'll let you folks know with a review.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.mlm.android.activity

18. lexluthor

Golf digest app looks good. Please post review after you use it.

19. Heathbar

Heathbar Active Member

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say I only got GPS yardages for less than half the holes, and it wasn't my GPS. It just got to a certain hole, then started reading "---" for all the yardages. EXTREMELY annoying and embarrasing when I'm about to finish the front nine and my friends are using me for yardages, then suddenly I've got nothing. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but it happened all 3 different courses! Once course only gave me the first THREE holes! Lame.

As for Skydroid, out of 4 courses I played I only had to map 1 of them. That's okay with me, and $2 is pocket change. You can also touch the satellite map and get yardage to ANY point on the course, which is nice.