• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IK5 - latest official firmware is out on NPC for Italy!

Almost thought I don't have to sell my Galaxy for a moment there... But now I'm not so sure again. It almost seems like even if they try to fix a bug, they just introduce a new one.
Samsung JUST RELEASE FULL SOURCE ALREADY!!! You obviously suck at this, just give us the drivers source then at least we'll have an alternative.

But I have to say thanks to the italian Samsung team because it seems only they care (they released some info on 2.0 and also they are almost always the first to release new firmwares).

Upvote 0
I've tested it (at least the 'bug' u mentioned) and I do not have this problem so it must be something individual. There are many problems related with some individual setups and installations and it is not always the case that the problem you have is the problem for everyone, actually that happens rare so don't jump into conclusions.

IK5 works great for me (and for now). I just switched from mustymods Android 2.0 and I would stay on it if just my data was working and if the battery can hold up for some more time (24h is a success with that version).

Upvote 0
I wasn't so lucky, WIFI OK, but my 2G/3G was dead :(, TELE2, Zagreb, Croatia..., CDMA support missing(?), I don't know really as I thought everything should work for European 3G standards. I'm on IK5 now, everything is back to normal.

I would keep the 2.0 even with the battery going so quickly because the interface and many other things are really improved but I couldn't ignore the lost of data connection.

Upvote 0
didnt he remove cdma support to fix the ril issues?
alot of eu counties use UMTS due to gsm compatibility rather than cdma

From what kam187 and the team were saying about huge list of commands that needs to be re-interpreted (okay, something like that... there's no exact IRC log ;) )... he might have left some commands out, especially if Turkey also prefers UMTS over CDMA. Brief googling proves my point. ;)

Upvote 0
I wasn't so lucky, WIFI OK, but my 2G/3G was dead :(, TELE2, Zagreb, Croatia..., CDMA support missing(?), I don't know really as I thought everything should work for European 3G standards. I'm on IK5 now, everything is back to normal.

I would keep the 2.0 even with the battery going so quickly because the interface and many other things are really improved but I couldn't ignore the lost of data connection.

I'm pretty sure your problems were due to APN configuration, not provider. Tele2 in Europe uses UMTS/EDGE.

Upvote 0
IK5 now this I can call annoying bug, the second it started to ring phone reboots. I have no idea who was calling as the call isn't logged. I changed few firmwares but this happened for the first time :( . Phone should be for communication (calling) mostly isn't it? And what we got by buying this nice looking fancy Galaxy Android thing? There should be a stamp on the box of a Galaxy, a warning for potential buyers: Work in progress! / In develompent! / Under construction! ...U name it...

@Andronix: APN settings while on 2.0 were fine, I checked it over and over, reboot, checked again.. nothing worked so I guess it must be something else. I was on IK4 it worked fine, I'm on IK5 now and it works.

Upvote 0
IK5 now this I can call annoying bug, the second it started to ring phone reboots. I have no idea who was calling as the call isn't logged. I changed few firmwares but this happened for the first time :( . Phone should be for communication (calling) mostly isn't it? And what we got by buying this nice looking fancy Galaxy Android thing? There should be a stamp on the box of a Galaxy, a warning for potential buyers: Work in progress! / In develompent! / Under construction! ...U name it...

@Andronix: APN settings while on 2.0 were fine, I checked it over and over, reboot, checked again.. nothing worked so I guess it must be something else. I was on IK4 it worked fine, I'm on IK5 now and it works.
try another factory reset

Upvote 0

There is a difference on 2.0 regarding APN. You need to unset "APN type", make it <Not set>. On 1.5 I think you needed to set "internet" or "internet+mms".

It _should_ work.

Upvote 0
I've tested it (at least the 'bug' u mentioned) and I do not have this problem so it must be something individual. There are many problems related with some individual setups and installations and it is not always the case that the problem you have is the problem for everyone, actually that happens rare so don't jump into conclusions.

IK5 works great for me (and for now). I just switched from mustymods Android 2.0 and I would stay on it if just my data was working and if the battery can hold up for some more time (24h is a success with that version).

you're right, this case was individual.
sorry for that false alarm.
I experience same stuff in IK4, it may be something physical about buttons etc.

Upvote 0
There is a difference on 2.0 regarding APN. You need to unset "APN type", make it <Not set>. On 1.5 I think you needed to set "internet" or "internet+mms".

It _should_ work.

I don't think I really understood what should be the solution or the proper setup for APN type as I didn't have option to set anything predefined, just an empty field to fill in and I typed internet as I thought it should be done in that way. I'll try it maybe or I'll wait for GPS and (or even more important) battery issue fixed/improved version.

Upvote 0
I don't think I really understood what should be the solution or the proper setup for APN type as I didn't have option to set anything predefined, just an empty field to fill in and I typed internet as I thought it should be done in that way. I'll try it maybe or I'll wait for GPS and (or even more important) battery issue fixed/improved version.

typing 'internet' was mistake :/

Upvote 0
I also CONFIRM that the phone doesn't sleep properly. Since I last unplugged it it's Spare parts say that "Time spent without sleeping" is 9hours... Didn't use it much. The "Time spent with screen on" is only 2 hours. I have the Advanced Task manager Free and absolutely nothing was running.

So yeah something might be wrong. I'll test it again and see.

Upvote 0
if you can flash galaxo recovery you can do a wipe then reflash the ik5 update

Flashing galaxo recovery is just an (harmless) intermediate step towards re-flashing to ik5?
Will this affect my phone in any way in the future (permanent changes are made to my phone)?
I need to understand what I am doing before I try this.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
I've got a couple of bugs with the IK5.. The first of which is that even though I change the language to english, when adding a widgets to the desktop, the language remains in italian.
The second bug is very strange. I get to data transfer through O2 in Germany. I get no 2g or 3g data. The phone can make and accept calls, but no data.

Another problem that I'm having with the IK4 is that my bluetooth doesn't seem to work. Anyone else have this problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones