• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i'll help find a root method if...

Can you unpack and modify the recovery and I'll flash it to my device? The recovery.img i dumped from my heartbleed-fixed valet is in this zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sahLineALGS2piSG5ubXZ0SUk/view?pli=1

when you dd this don't use bs=4096, just do dd with if and of flags

reboot into recovery
if the recovery boots
you will need to run

adb root (if it doesn't complete and says something about production builds just move to the next)
adb remount

if remount succeeds then /system should be rw and you can push su and chmod it. if remount works let me know and i'll give you the full details on what to do next

http://www.mediafire.com/download/usm0guv58f39b1c/valet-updated-unsecure-recovery.img

Upvote 0
when you dd this don't use bs=4096, just do dd with if and of flags

reboot into recovery
if the recovery boots
you will need to run

adb root (if it doesn't complete and says something about production builds just move to the next)
adb remount

if remount succeeds then /system should be rw and you can push su and chmod it. if remount works let me know and i'll give you the full details on what to do next

http://www.mediafire.com/download/usm0guv58f39b1c/valet-updated-unsecure-recovery.img
I ran the command without specifying block size: dd if=/sdcard/valet-updated-unsecure-recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Upon rebooting the phone reported "verify error" in white letters and now i'm hard bricked. I didn't think a recovery image would do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I ran the command without specifying block size: dd if=/sdcard/valet-updated-unsecure-recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Upon rebooting the phone reported "verify error" in white letters and now i'm hard bricked. I didn't think a recovery image would do that.

me either...

but, i think it is safe to say that the device is indeed UNROOTABLE.

i would say that because it's a cdma device (no sim) and uses verizon's network that under contract straight talk had to lock it down. a lot of verizon devices are locked down in similar fashion

Upvote 0
me either...

but, i think it is safe to say that the device is indeed UNROOTABLE.

i would say that because it's a cdma device (no sim) and uses verizon's network that under contract straight talk had to lock it down. a lot of verizon devices are locked down in similar fashion

Well thanks guys for working hard on this for over a year. That's a long time to work this project. This is a low end phone and I'm sure those that can't afford fancy appreciate you working so diligently on this.

Upvote 0
Just retried Kingo root app version 1.3.5 and have been able to get root, I think! Need someone else to try. When I ran the app the first time it failed, but I noticed it now installs an app on the phone. When I connect to PC, launch the app on the phone then run the program on PC I get root success. It does go away after boot, but seems to be holding as long as you don't, again this is where I need confirmation. So far, es file explorer has asked for root and has been granted, system app mover also gets root but does not seem to go any further. Also, every few seconds I get toast messages saying these apps have been granted root, whether they are running or not. Again, someone with more experience might be able to get this working better. Hopefully someone is still checking this forum!

Upvote 0
Just retried Kingo root app version 1.3.5 and have been able to get root, I think! Need someone else to try. When I ran the app the first time it failed, but I noticed it now installs an app on the phone. When I connect to PC, launch the app on the phone then run the program on PC I get root success. It does go away after boot, but seems to be holding as long as you don't, again this is where I need confirmation. So far, es file explorer has asked for root and has been granted, system app mover also gets root but does not seem to go any further. Also, every few seconds I get toast messages saying these apps have been granted root, whether they are running or not. Again, someone with more experience might be able to get this working better. Hopefully someone is still checking this forum!

I think temporary root has been achieved before. The sticking point has been installing a new image w/ permanent root.

Upvote 0
After playing around a little more, seems as if root does get lost even with out a reboot. Guess I got overexcited at first. Damm zte! I just want to remove the crap on this.
Yeah Its definitely temp root all right. But you're still unable to write to system files that we need to to gain permanent root like xbin. But so far the temp root stays on my phone until I reboot. left it there over night and it still worked when I started experimenting today.

Reactions: Arcadeon
Upvote 0
Yeah Its definitely temp root all right. But you're still unable to write to system files that we need to to gain permanent root like xbin. But so far the temp root stays on my phone until I reboot. left it there over night and it still worked when I started experimenting today.
This method has got me farther than any other and it does seem to hold a bit longer. I tried this in conjunction with impactor, but still could not keep xbin rw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi all,
Have not been around in a while (very busy)
I've been reading the two pages of posts and I have a question. With my experience of burning around a good hundered (aprox) ISO's for linux testing after settling on Arch Linux. I learned that the dd command that is used can be very destructive to USB Drives when Copying/Burning images now then correct me if I am wrong.
Here is some FAQ's I have.

lsblk command on Arch tells me my HP's eMMC HD is mmcblkX {The Cell eMMC above was mmcblk0p17} (Also after talking to a friend who works as an IT for a living this HD is not to different from a SSD HD and Identical to a Cell Phone's HD)

dd command- this is the ISO/IMG Burning tool that can be used on linux however it means certain death to whatever USB you use. (Unless you have a recovery program) But It works well for its task.

CDMA Straight-talk/Tracfone- This does not add up... "i would say that because it's a cdma device (no sim) and uses verizon's network that under contract straight talk had to lock it down. a lot of verizon devices are locked down in similar fashion"
Many phones are rooted everyday I'm positive its not just AT&T getting all the rooting (Most tracfone cells have been rooted so the lockdown idea is hard to validate).

My question is why did we dd a phone's eMMC, Have a brick, (sorry to hear about the phone jjfriede) then jump to the conclusion this the phone is unrootable.

My issue (So its out there) is we used a 99.9% KO method and jumped off the wagon as soon as it failed. So Why?

On a Good Note. I am very happy to See Kingo Root making a very slight advancement.

Upvote 0
Any updates on this? I've got my hands on this device again, and wouldn't mind trying to put together CyanogenMod for it if someone could get it rooted and install a custom recovery.

No there is nothing as off currently. I am not sure what is going on here I feel this is a dead thread (considering the Mods have a comment rather than a solution marked as "The Best Answer". I'm still waiting for my answer on the poorly executed method that was used to try and root the phone and no one has replied. I still have my phone as well, and I would like to try rooting it as well as getting a Cyanogenmod together.

We need someone who is willing to work on this, and revive this thread in order to get root.

If you have an idea I'll be willing to help.

Reactions: Ph0enix_216
Upvote 0
...(considering the Mods have a comment rather than a solution marked as "The Best Answer"..

FYI, a member marked the Best Answer and not a Mod :).

(I did edit the Best Answer post to fix the quote tag, but that was it :))

Would love to see you guys get a permanent/stable root...still pulling for you all!

Reactions: Ph0enix_216
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones