• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm a newbie not a numpty, but can i get...

de3sired

Lurker
Aug 4, 2010
...a message tone of any description to sound on my Desire!?

I go into the app > settings etc, and everything relevant is 'checked' as it should be, but i cant get a peep out of it!?

I've had it a couple of weeks, and am fairly familiar with it now, and 'sounds' work with anything else - i've not just got it turned down too low...

Please help, i've looked but all i can find is advise about mp3's, or settings i've already mentioned.

Thanks in advance

Tom

It would be better if you can actually say exactly what you have been through and exactly what you have checked rather than.

I go into the app > settings etc, and everything relevant is 'checked' as it should be

The more info you provide the more likely people are going to be able to help you.

My first suggestion would be Menu --> Settings --> Sound --> Notification Sound. Do you get a preview of the sound when you select it?

Upvote 0
Hi guys, and thank you for your replies.

Although i knew full well the phone rings (i regularly change the volume..) i checked the 'ringer' volume and low and behold thats where they hid the notification volume.

To some that might have been obvious, but not me, i thought wrongly the volume the phone rang at would deterime the noficiations volume - i mean why call it a 'ringer' - instead i went around and around the notification settings!

Big thanks Evil Genius

Tom

Upvote 0
Hi guys, and thank you for your replies.

Although i knew full well the phone rings (i regularly change the volume..) i checked the 'ringer' volume and low and behold thats where they hid the notification volume.

Tom

I can recommend the AudioManager Pro app from the Market. It displays volume levels for Alarm, Media, Alerts, Ringer, System and Voice in a bar-chart widget. You can easily set up profiles (and associated shortcut icons) to quickly change all your volume levels to preferred values. I personally use three profiles that I set up for my preferences: Normal, Travel (where most things are a bit louder) and Dead Silent.

Upvote 0
I can recommend the AudioManager Pro app from the Market. It displays volume levels for Alarm, Media, Alerts, Ringer, System and Voice in a bar-chart widget. You can easily set up profiles (and associated shortcut icons) to quickly change all your volume levels to preferred values. I personally use three profiles that I set up for my preferences: Normal, Travel (where most things are a bit louder) and Dead Silent.

+1 for AudioManager.

I have the widget on a homescreen and it gives access to all volume controls, very easy to check and change as needed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones