I'm a noob, need settings help, random questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. mooretime

mooretime Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

First off I'd like to say thank you to anyone that helps. I would also say that I have spent a few hours browsing forums for help...so take that into consideration. (I dont want people to think I'm like "Oh here I am...I didn't do any research...please help me")

:)

First off let me tell you what I have done.
    I've turned off Wifi, 4G, email updates when I check it.
    I turn off internet and the other "data to apps" setting.
    I lowered the brightness. Turned off GPS and Bluetooth.

As of now I'm doing the plugging in charger, unplugging trick several times...to see if that helps. (I must admit it's stupid that I even have to try this)

So, here are my questions:

1. How to I add apps to the ignore list for advanced task killer? I go to the ignore section and it's just a black screen. I don't know how to add apps.

2.What exactly is the CDMA" thing? I know what to do (I've seen the link)...but I don't know WHAT it does. Will it effect my ability on the phone?

3. What exactly is Google Talk...and how do I get rid of it(if it takes a lot of battery power) I noticed that if I hold the "finder" button and talk I can search on google! Really cool! If I turn off google talk is that feature gone? Also...how do I turn off google talk? (I could find it...but I consider this my "lazy" question". :)

Overall I love this phone. I just need to squeeze more juice out of it.

Have a good day

Advertisement
  2. mooretime

Also, economics is a huge love in my life. This is kinda random, but I will give you my opinion on what we should expect in the coming decades.

(reading this post I know it seems funny...but I want to "offer" something for someone helping)

3. mapan83

mapan83 Active Member

CDMA shouldn't effect anything with your phone. CDMA is a network some carriers use in the US. Other carriers here use GSM and GSM is also used heavily overseas. CDMA is what Sprint uses so changing that setting will just cause the phone to stop trying to connect to GSM towers and try to connect with CDMA towers. That's probably not the best explanation and I am sure someone could explain it more in depth but that's how I understand it.

4. mooretime

thank you for the CDMA answer

5. vkdroid

vkdroid Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Google Talk is just a chat with your Gmail contacts. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's just an enhanced version of the chat available when you login to Gmail on your computer.
    It should be safe to disable that from automatically logging in and it shouldn't affect anything. Just don't uninstall it, because I read that might mess with Marketplace.

I don't use task killers, so I can't answer that one. Sorry.

You don't have to offer anything for help on these forums :) But since you offered...any idea how the legal job market is gonna look in...say....3 years?

6. mooretime

hi vkdroid,

Thanks for the help. Well, here's what's going to happen...and it's not good news.
    I know when you first read this you might think it's crazy (if you're not aware of it)

We've hit Peak Oil. Peak Oil isn't the lack of oil, but it's the lack of cheap and easy to reach oil. Why do you think we're out in the ocean, drilling into a mile deep of water? It's because we're desperate. Even Obama said 2 days ago "We're running out of places to drill."

Government predictions say that in 18 years oil production worldwide will be the same as it was in 1976. In 1976 there was less than 4 Bil people on the planet. Today there is almost 7 Billion.

Our entire economy is built on the foundation of cheap, easy to access energy. There is no alternative that can pick up it's slack. If you don't believe me (and if this is the first time hearing this, you might not), then do your research.

Take Ethanol for example. The U.S. would have to convert nearly half of our fields away from growing food, and making ethanol energy just to provide about 2% of our transportation energy needs. It's a complete joke.

Solar and Wind will not pick up enough slack either. There isn't enough infrastructure.

These next 2 decades are going to suck.
    IMO by 2030-2040 we will have approx 5.5 - 6 Bil people on the planet. ...and that's me honestly being optimistic.

Our whole world is going to change. Industrial civilization is going to collapse as we know it.

7. mooretime

Also, a good way of looking at things is realizing there is about a 65-70% chance that you were born because of oil.

4.5 Billion people today are only alive because of oil.