IM app that doesn't charge as text messages

1. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

When I originally bought my Android, I cheeped out and didn't get the unlimited messaging plan.
    I didn't think I'd need it.
    I don't text.
    lately however I've started getting more into sending IM's from my phone.
    but I didn't know that they were charging me as text messages (it was always free when done on the computer xD).
    well, I can go to the mobile.yahoo.com website and IM for free from there, but that's kinda a hassle.

are there any android apps that that allow me to IM but don't register it as a text message? That'd be a great help.

Advertisement
    :
  2. thaJack

thaJack Well-Known Member

IM and text messages aren't the same thing. Lots of IM apps.. but if you're wanting to TEXT without being charged, you'll need to snag yourself a Google Voice account and use that.
  3. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

I know IM and Text aren't the same thing.
    but when I IM it shows up on the bill as a Text message and charges me $0.20 per message.

but also: that's good to know that I'll be able to text from google voice
  4. Tek34

Tek34 Active Member

I could be wrong but isn't this a function decided by the carrier and not the IM app itself? I anticipated using IM instead of texting, so when I signed up with Verizon I had them block all my text messaging. IM has been working fine for me. If we are paying $30+ bucks for Internet I would hope they would drop the text overcharging, cash cow. I'm not sure which carriers charge IM as text messages but perhaps others can respond.
  5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

thajack, sweed is referring to the fact that on many carriers (T-mobile, for example) the native IM client for everything EXCEPT Gtalk uses SMS protocols in order to send and receive IMs. Thus, every message on AIM, Yahoo, MSN, is charged to your account as a SMS.

BuddyMob and Meebo are good clients and do NOT use SMS protocols to send and receive IMs. They both use Data.

I'm not sure about others, but, whenever you install ANYTHING from the Marketplace there's that warning screen showing what the program needs access to. If you're downloading an IM application, and it uses SMS protocols, that screen would indicate something about SMS in the "services that cost you money" section of the warning.
  6. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

thanks,
    thats exactly what I was looking for.
    +rep!
  7. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I use Hi AIM for my AIM messaging needs. It does not cost SMS messages for sending IMs...
  8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Meebo is a good choice, give it a go.
  9. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I suggest Meebo as well. I tried Hi AIM and it was quite possibly the ugliest app I've ever seen.
  10. Teezy

Teezy Well-Known Member

ebuddy is nice too
  11. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

thanks.
    also:
    is there a possible way to send and receive text messages without sms charges?

I've yet to find a google voice invite
  12. secondofone

secondofone New Member

Sweed, Check PM
  13. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

thanks
  14. rockwellcola

rockwellcola Member

Anyone happen to have an invite to google voice? Im interested in dumping my sms plan on verizon. Could I do this with google voice?

Thanks,
    Rocky