I'm at 1.5. What are my options?General

Last Updated:

1. cdkee

cdkee Active Member This Topic's Starter

What's up everyone. I'm a big-time lurker and I post occasionally.

So...like many of you I've been waiting for the OTA but I am becoming impatient.

I'm at 1.5 right now. I guess I could install 2.1v2 leak. But I'm also reading a lot about people who "wished they had rooted 2.1"

I'm a little confused. What exactly is rooting the phone? Why is that better than going to the leak, or waiting for the OTA (yeah, right :rolleyes:)?

So basically, what is root, what would you guys suggest I do with my phone (don't suggest getting an Incredible :p) in terms of leaks, roots, and all of this good stuff.

Thanks for your assistance.

Advertisement
  2. polizi212

polizi212 Well-Known Member

3. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Yes, as Funkyfender posted, the root process allows for reverting back to 1.5.

At this point in time, the 2.1 leaks are a one way street, and with mixed reviews.

I'd stick with the stock 1.5 if I were you. But I'm not you, and you may be the adventurous sort with your device, so rooting would seem the best choice of the two adventurous options.

5. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Gonna have to agree with Frisco. I'd stick with 1.5 as well. But that's just cuz I'm too lazy and don't like to read instructions, so I'd probably brick my phone....that's just me though.

6. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

I would say go with root. Check the root section and you can pretty much figure out how to root your phone which allows you to install custom ROMs, bootscreens, change your lockscreen, install wireless tether and other cool things. It will basically give you 2.1 update but if you decide you don't like it, you can always go back to 1.5 with no harm done. with the 2.1 leak you cant go back.

I didnt know anything about root and one day popped on and saw a bunch of stuff about 2.1 leak and was about to install it when i noticed the root section. after going over that, i realized rooting your phone is the best option you can do. I have rooted and am running sense-able 2.0 and like my phone more than ever that before.

7. libraryclg

libraryclg Well-Known Member

I was on the fence for a very long time about rooting my phone thinking I was going to brick it, etc. The instructions on this forum were very clear and concise so I took the plunge. My advice is this, if you feel comfortable rooting then do it, if not then don't.

8. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Imo its either stay pat or root, there is no 3rd option. With rooting you don't have to customize it or put a custom rom on it, you can just run the stock 2.1 v2 rooted leak which will give you the advantages of root while keeping the look and feel of the stock phone. But don't just update it to the 2.1 v2 leak, that will leave you open to disappointment down the road. Either stay with 1.5 or root your phone, its that simple. Rooting is as easy as installing the android sdk on your pc, downloading the all in one 1.5 to 2.1 rooting script and pushing 1, 2 ,3 on the command line to get it to #1 root your phone, #2 install the amons recovery console/partition, #3 installing whatever rom you wish to run. You can even rollback to 1.5 and keep the rooting prividges if you are so inclined.

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

That is very interesting.

Rather intriguing, I might add.

10. smacky

smacky Banned

If you want to be able to customize your phone the way iPhone users can with a jailbreak, get root. If you don't care and just want a phone, do nothing.

Root, you can get a 2.1 ROM, so it's essentially 2.1 Plus. You can revert back to 1.5 and just the way it came from the factory to avoid any problems if there is an insurance or warranty claim.

2.1 is from VZW themselves. It has a few bugs, but you can live with them. You don't have extensive customizing options with it, though. You'll need root for it.

11. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Imo its not just about customizing the phone its about obtaining total control over the device. Without rooting you are at the mercy of verizon and htc, with root access its you who has the control. You can make full backups, backup copy protected apps and add features other eris owners who are not rooted can only dream about.

I've been using pc's since i was 7 years old, dating back to the days of the apple IIe and ms-dos. So i like having full control over my os and/or pc, the same is possible with your phone. Its basically just a phone with touch sensitivity and a couple hardwired buttons. Then they lay the os over top and then verizon locks it down even further and adds the stuff they want to make their company look more important than it is to the end user. By rooting you are taking control back from verizon and htc. Thats what its all about. Control.

12. dswalker

dswalker Member

I just rooted it and love it! By far the best thing I've done with the phone.

13. jlampson

jlampson Well-Known Member

I had a 2.1v2 leak phone go bad and got a stock 1.5 as a replacement. Rooting it was super easy with the instructions from Grdlock. I put his Vanilla Droid on and threw Helix Launcher on top of it. I love my phone even more now. The Live Wallpaper, wireless tethering, and navigation work flawlessly. If I had it to do again, I would do it again.

14. cdkee

cdkee Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have experience jailbreaking iPod touches/iPhones, so I'm going to think about rooting 2.1.

jailbreaking the iPhone though is relatively safe...how easy is it to brick the Eris?

15. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

I waited quite a while before doing anything after the first 2.1 leak. When the path for 1.5 > root > 2.1 (or whatever) opened, I jumped. Haven't regretted it a bit.

16. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

The process is relatively safe IMO and the Eris isnt very easy to brick unless you flash incorrect radios or a few other things, most of which is covered in the root section.