• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm confused - need a few things cleared up

Paul4763

Oct 20, 2009
Just got this phone about a week ago and have a few questions.

1. What's ROM stand for and what is it?

2. I've got a new ROM update from T-Mobile but when I run the install it says "This will wipe all your information and data". What's all that about?

3. Might be my router but when I enable WiFi and try to connect to it, it connects for a minute or so then disappears and then will come up shortly after saying "WiFi networks available" but it won't connect to the router.

4. Is it worth messing about with custom ROMs?

5. There's a battery issue, sometimes it will last ages and sometimes it won't last very long at all. I've heard Android keeps programs running after you've shut them down, so how do I close them properly?

1. What's ROM stand for and what is it?

ROM stands for Read Only Memory. It was originally a term used for types of memory that could only be written to once. In reference to the Hero and similar devices, ROM refers to the part of the operating system that is not to be altered (hense read-only). But because modern devices use Flash memory (re-writeable memory) to store their operating systems, it makes upgrading them simple. You would install a new ROM (or basically a new operating system). A new "ROM" is basically just a new Firmware.

2. I've got a new ROM update from T-Mobile but when I run the install it says "This will wipe all your information and data". What's all that about?

Think of your new ROM update as a new operating system. In order to install it, it needs to reformat that section of memory (the flash memory) that holds the OS. That's why it says it will clear your data.

3. Might be my router but when I enable WiFi and try to connect to it, it connects for a minute or so then disappears and then will come up shortly after saying "WiFi networks available" but it won't connect to the router.

When your Hero goes to sleep, it turns off the Wifi antenna in order to save power. There is an "Always On" setting for the Wifi if you really want, but it will noticeably impact your battery life. If it's loosing the wifi connection repeatedly while you're using your phone, it's likely a problem with the way your wifi is configered.

4. Is it worth messing about with custom ROMs?

A custom ROM will give you features like Tethering and Apps2SD as well as some other more specific features most users will never use. Custom ROMs will also void your warranty, so if you don't think you'll be using those extra features, you probably shouldnt worry about it. Some custom ROMs can be slightly faster/smoother as well, but mostly to a negligable extent.

5. There's a battery issue, sometimes it will last ages and sometimes it won't last very long at all. I've heard Android keeps programs running after you've shut them down, so how do I close them properly?

Get a Task Manager app, I use TasKiller. When you're through using your phone for the time being, open up TasKiller (or whichever task manager you've gotten) and kill the extra apps. Also, your battery issue may be due to your types of use. Using the phone's Wifi or 3G data connections will drain the battery far faster than things like texting. Look into an app caled Locale. You can use it to turn off your Wifi when you're not at home or at work or where you generally use wifi, as well as all sorts of other features, based on your location.

Upvote 0
Music should still be there, assuming you've stored in on the SD card.

Apps will be wiped, however this isnt a big deal, as you can re-download them from the app store. Also the app store remembers which paid apps youve bought, so you dont have to pay for them again.

You can back up your apps to SD card if you dont want to have to download them again, there are several apps that will do this for you, e.g. AppManager.

Note that all of your contacts, text messages etc will be wiped. There are apps that will back these up for you in the market (e.g. mybackup or sprite backup) or you can use HTC Sync (it only does contacts though).

Upvote 0
Cheers guys, thanks for the help. I upgraded the system and backed up, it was all good. But I have some new issues for the Android panel.

I've just bought a 16Gb Micro SD so my phone can double up as an MP3 player, can I just stick that in be ready or do I have to transfer stuff off the old one? Like files necessary to run the phone?

Also, there 7 windows where you can put various apps and widgets. Is there anyway to modify this number to say 3 or 5?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones