I'm curious: who else is still using the Eris as their phone?General

1. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Of course we are well past the point where people like me, who bought the Eris early, were able to get upgrades. I'm wondering how many people, besides me, are still using the Eris as their primary phone?

Advertisement
    :
  2. dockmaster

dockmaster Well-Known Member

I am....was going to get the Bionic, but glad I waited. The little Eris is rooted and works, but as soon as the Prime is released and if it has any type of positive reviews..its new phone time. My actual upgrade isnt until Feb2012 but I'm eligibal for an discount upgrade or what ever they call it. Dont care about the contract, as I'm staying with VZW anyway.
  3. KingoftheJust

KingoftheJust Active Member

Still using my Eris as my primary. Eligible for an upgrade Nov. 2011. I need to add that I've had no real problems with this phone and it has served me well up to now. Any quirk I've discovered I've been able to overcome thanks to the Eris community here.

doogald, Frisco, Caddyman, OTD, erisuser, etc...have kept my little phone chugging along nicely. For that I am grateful.

Cheers!
  4. metlcat

metlcat Well-Known Member

I am still using my eris as my phone. I am up for an upgrade at the end of October. I'll probably wait into November in hopes that the Prime or Vigor come out by then.
  5. Alleycat

Alleycat Well-Known Member

ME!!!!!!!!

My little Eris is running xtrSENSE 4.6 and just chugging along. My wife, who got her Eris at the same time I did (BOGO free deal), long ago dropped it and shattered it, and moved on to an iPhone.

I'm eligible for an upgrade around Christmas (yes, that late!) But I'm not quite ready to move on yet. I've got it set up the way I like it, and I don't want to change.

I thought about the Bionic when my contract is up, but from what I gather from the forums I'll probably wind up throwing it out a window. I'll have to see what's coming.
  6. Gato

Gato Well-Known Member

Still using my original Eris. Although it appears to be declining in it's relative old age.

I WILL be upgrading to something by 12/2 if not sooner. I love the phone when it works. It's just too under-powered.
  7. dirtyriffs

dirtyriffs Well-Known Member

Im still using my Eris at my primary phone. Its been about 18 months now. I love the thing, its just a bit slow. Im able to upgrade now ( cuz we have several phones on the same plan)but im waiting for the Vigor and I think I will jump on that.
  8. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

Still using mine. I'm eligible for an upgrade now but I can hold on. We may switch carriers because Verizon has no signal where I live.
  9. joe a

joe a Member

Im still chuggin along with my eris- still a decent phone but boy is it sluggish. Waiting to see what all the holiday releases are before I upgrade. I love the small size I dont think any of the new ones are that small. We shall see
  10. 172driver

172driver Well-Known Member

I'm still using my rooted Eris, and my wife is still using her stock Eris (though hers if giving her a little trouble). She's getting by but is frustrated with it at times.

We plan to upgrade this Fall. I think my NE2 is mid-November. Hoping that Verizon will have an answer to the GS2 by then.

11. Pitamakan

Pitamakan Well-Known Member

Me, too! And still pretty happy with the thing.

I'm eligible to upgrade now, and probably will do so sometime this winter, but first I want to see what the new fall phones look like ... especially the Prime.
  12. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

My DX is my day-to-day phone, but I still have my lovable, beloved Eris.

I did encounter a co-worker a few weeks ago who I saw flipping his phone up in the air while we talked. I then realized that it was an Eris! Couple of days later, he was flipping his newly rooted and overclocked phone in the air ;) ;).

We also have a consultant in from Florida who has a well-used Hero that keeps chugging along (its running Android 1.5 / Cupcake...I checked for system updates for him...no dice).

These things will last forever ;).
  13. lakeside

lakeside Well-Known Member

Count me in! I'm still using the little droid that could!!! I'm eligible for an upgrade next month but I'll probably wait a few months.

I love the form factor of this phone. It's size is very functional for me; it fits in my pocket easily, is easily held and is the right size for a phone.

I rooted my phone over a year ago and I'm now using a GSB rom (CM7 v18) and love it!

Unfortunately, it is underpowered for games like Angry Birds so I'll eventually upgrade, but I'm gonna frame this bad boy because it's been the most functional phone of all of the phones I've had!

LONG LIVE THE ERIS!!! WOOT! WOOT! :p
  14. homer169

homer169 Well-Known Member

I was still using mine until Thursday, when it gave up on life and jumped from my shirt pocket into the canal. RIP Droid Eris 9-22-11.
    I've got a Droid X coming from Ebay, and hopefully is as good as the listing said.
    ThorSkaagi likes this.
  15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I have an Otterbox Defender case on my Eris and the back plastic case is cracked; it's hit concrete pavement twice, the second time expanding that crack. I've been thinking of painting on fake stitch lines, like the hockey goalie Gerry Cheevers used to paint on his facemask every time his was hit by a puck.
  16. Since 12/1/09 my Eris has been my primary phone. Very happy with the pocket (ability?). Although keeping the battery charged when camping for several days in fringe reception areas was a challenge.
  17. Brookens40

Brookens40 Member

i got the lg ally awhile back (what an upgrade, right?) but it shattered and im back to the little old eris. Still runs like a champ but ill hopefully be getting the Prime when it comes out.
  18. morrica

morrica New Member

Still using it, eligible for an upgrade but don't care as long as it still works. Still love it in spite of its sluggishness. Better since about January when I finally rooted it and installed XTRSense. 18-month old granddaughter loves it too, she can turn it on, find and start her favorite apps, and run them with no help now. Too fun to wach her!
  19. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

My g/f is still using her Eris as primary, much to her displeasure. She hates how slow the phone can be sometimes, but ultimately there's no real reason to upgrade. It still allows her to do everything she needs to, even if it's not a few seconds faster like a new phone would be. I just don't see the point of spending $200+ to "upgrade" to a new phone that will not be a monumental improvement.

When we got our phones, I got my Droid 1 for $99 with the Eris free.. where the hell are those deals now Verizon? For both of us to upgrade will be around $500 (for Bionics) even with another 2 year agreement, hardly see the point. At the least would be around $300 for moderate 3g phones, sure ya can get deals at Amazon or Wirefly, but I'd rather not have to deal with them if I have issues.
  20. meanm50

meanm50 Well-Known Member

Still my everyday phone...purchased a week after it came out, and still loving it.

GSB4.0/710mhz/Cricket $45 plan
  21. JLM

JLM Active Member

I'm still using the Eris, Doogald. In fact both my wife and I still use them. We will be until at least next Jan or Feb. We'll see then if there's anything useful out there. I may just keep mine going...don't see any reason to swap it out yet.
  22. dockmaster

dockmaster Well-Known Member

Still using my rooted Eris. Slow and freezing rooted Eris!! Even if I wait for my upgrade date of Feb 2012, getting another smartphone is going to cost a couple hundred bucks, with a 2 yeart contract. There is no free in the New every 2 for smart phones. The next release of any new phone thats an upgrade over the Bionic and I'm there, hopefully Prime or a Sammy SGSII. In all relality, why wait, im gonna have a 2 year contract whether I do it now ort in Feb and the price will probably be the same, unless someone knows some good deals.. I will saw the Eris is my first smartphone and a good learning tool!!
  23. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

I bought my Eris from Amazon for $10 and am now posting from my new Incredible 2 bought from Amazon for a penny.
  24. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Hey, let us know what you think of the Inc2. It's one phone I'm thinking about upgrading to. The only bad thing that I heard about it was the radio reception - that's kind of important to me, because I live in a place with poor reception.
  25. Neera

Neera Well-Known Member

*raises hand*

Still using my little Eris as my every day phone, but I'm eligible to upgrade now and will do so when the Vigor comes out of the financial situation allows it lol.