• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm curious: who else is still using the Eris as their phone?

I am....was going to get the Bionic, but glad I waited. The little Eris is rooted and works, but as soon as the Prime is released and if it has any type of positive reviews..its new phone time. My actual upgrade isnt until Feb2012 but I'm eligibal for an discount upgrade or what ever they call it. Dont care about the contract, as I'm staying with VZW anyway.

Upvote 0
Still using my Eris as my primary. Eligible for an upgrade Nov. 2011. I need to add that I've had no real problems with this phone and it has served me well up to now. Any quirk I've discovered I've been able to overcome thanks to the Eris community here.

doogald, Frisco, Caddyman, OTD, erisuser, etc...have kept my little phone chugging along nicely. For that I am grateful.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
ME!!!!!!!!

My little Eris is running xtrSENSE 4.6 and just chugging along. My wife, who got her Eris at the same time I did (BOGO free deal), long ago dropped it and shattered it, and moved on to an iPhone.

I'm eligible for an upgrade around Christmas (yes, that late!) But I'm not quite ready to move on yet. I've got it set up the way I like it, and I don't want to change.

I thought about the Bionic when my contract is up, but from what I gather from the forums I'll probably wind up throwing it out a window. I'll have to see what's coming.

Upvote 0
My DX is my day-to-day phone, but I still have my lovable, beloved Eris.

I did encounter a co-worker a few weeks ago who I saw flipping his phone up in the air while we talked. I then realized that it was an Eris! Couple of days later, he was flipping his newly rooted and overclocked phone in the air ;) ;).

We also have a consultant in from Florida who has a well-used Hero that keeps chugging along (its running Android 1.5 / Cupcake...I checked for system updates for him...no dice).

These things will last forever ;).

Upvote 0
Count me in! I'm still using the little droid that could!!! I'm eligible for an upgrade next month but I'll probably wait a few months.

I love the form factor of this phone. It's size is very functional for me; it fits in my pocket easily, is easily held and is the right size for a phone.

I rooted my phone over a year ago and I'm now using a GSB rom (CM7 v18) and love it!

Unfortunately, it is underpowered for games like Angry Birds so I'll eventually upgrade, but I'm gonna frame this bad boy because it's been the most functional phone of all of the phones I've had!

LONG LIVE THE ERIS!!! WOOT! WOOT! :p

Upvote 0
I was still using mine until Thursday, when it gave up on life and jumped from my shirt pocket into the canal. RIP Droid Eris 9-22-11.

I have an Otterbox Defender case on my Eris and the back plastic case is cracked; it's hit concrete pavement twice, the second time expanding that crack. I've been thinking of painting on fake stitch lines, like the hockey goalie Gerry Cheevers used to paint on his facemask every time his was hit by a puck.

Upvote 0
Still using it, eligible for an upgrade but don't care as long as it still works. Still love it in spite of its sluggishness. Better since about January when I finally rooted it and installed XTRSense. 18-month old granddaughter loves it too, she can turn it on, find and start her favorite apps, and run them with no help now. Too fun to wach her!

Upvote 0
My g/f is still using her Eris as primary, much to her displeasure. She hates how slow the phone can be sometimes, but ultimately there's no real reason to upgrade. It still allows her to do everything she needs to, even if it's not a few seconds faster like a new phone would be. I just don't see the point of spending $200+ to "upgrade" to a new phone that will not be a monumental improvement.

When we got our phones, I got my Droid 1 for $99 with the Eris free.. where the hell are those deals now Verizon? For both of us to upgrade will be around $500 (for Bionics) even with another 2 year agreement, hardly see the point. At the least would be around $300 for moderate 3g phones, sure ya can get deals at Amazon or Wirefly, but I'd rather not have to deal with them if I have issues.

Upvote 0
Still using my rooted Eris. Slow and freezing rooted Eris!! Even if I wait for my upgrade date of Feb 2012, getting another smartphone is going to cost a couple hundred bucks, with a 2 yeart contract. There is no free in the New every 2 for smart phones. The next release of any new phone thats an upgrade over the Bionic and I'm there, hopefully Prime or a Sammy SGSII. In all relality, why wait, im gonna have a 2 year contract whether I do it now ort in Feb and the price will probably be the same, unless someone knows some good deals.. I will saw the Eris is my first smartphone and a good learning tool!!

Upvote 0
I bought my Eris from Amazon for $10 and am now posting from my new Incredible 2 bought from Amazon for a penny.

Hey, let us know what you think of the Inc2. It's one phone I'm thinking about upgrading to. The only bad thing that I heard about it was the radio reception - that's kind of important to me, because I live in a place with poor reception.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones