• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm curious: who else is still using the Eris as their phone?

I was doing some cleaning on my server (getting rid of duplicate files etc). Guess what I found? Loads of SD card backups of my Eris. That includes tons of Nandroids that date to around mid 2010.

Eris%20backups.PNG

Its like finding a bunch of time capsules. And wanting to see what's in them.

I have the same type of folder on an external HD. I just don't have the heart to delete them, and I have plenty of space. Ah, yes...memories. *sigh* ;)

*edit* I see you have a Nexus 7 as well. I've been meaning to mosey on over to that forum and see if i can cause some "trouble" there as well.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Mine still works great, with no cosmetic flaws (thanks to the Otterbox case, which has a few cracks from being dropped.) But I haven't used the Eris as a phone for more than 17 months now.

However, IMO, the build quality of the Eris was pretty mediocre. The trackball was problematic for a lot of people. I think if the display was more PPI it wouldn't be bad, but looking at it now is like looking at a toy, and my phone is only a 4" display. I can imagine what a Note 2 or Droid DNA user would think of it.

I was glad that it worked out for me, but I still kick myself sometimes for not getting the OG Droid...

Upvote 0
Mine still works great, with no cosmetic flaws (thanks to the Otterbox case, which has a few cracks from being dropped.) But I haven't used the Eris as a phone for more than 17 months now.

However, IMO, the build quality of the Eris was pretty mediocre. The trackball was problematic for a lot of people. I think if the display was more PPI it wouldn't be bad, but looking at it now is like looking at a toy, and my phone is only a 4" display. I can imagine what a Note 2 or Droid DNA user would think of it.

I was glad that it worked out for me, but I still kick myself sometimes for not getting the OG Droid...

Sometimes I do too. That HW keyboard would have been pretty awesome for emulators (you could do some emulation well on the Eris (minus sound usually), but because of the lack of proper multitouch, virtual controls were almost useless.

But the Eris did get me into ROMs and rooting and I learned a LOT about how Android worked. Not that the OG Droid wouldn't have, but you know.

My first one became victim of the trackball issue, but the second is still alive and kicking in near perfect condition (with no case and only a screen protector over two years). That's sort of impressive.

Upvote 0
Still using my Eris everyday! Holding out for the HTC One on Big Red. Please be soon.

Other then normal ware and tear, I dropped it about a month ago and the clip on the main unit that hold the back cover on broke so now I have tape holding it together. My kids laugh at me everytime they see it. Been a great phone for me and reliable. And unlimited data! Big reason why I have not upgraded yet. don't want to loose that.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Still using my Eris everyday! Holding out for the HTC One on Big Red. Please be soon.

Other then normal ware and tear, I dropped it about a month ago and the clip on the main unit that hold the back cover on broke so now I have tape holding it together. My kids laugh at me everytime they see it. Been a great phone for me and reliable. And unlimited data! Big reason why I have not upgraded yet. don't want to loose that.

I upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus without losing unlimited data. They said I was grandfathered in.

Upvote 0
I upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus without losing unlimited data. They said I was grandfathered in.

When the Galaxy Nexus was still being sold, you could be grandfathered in. They stopped letting you do that about a year ago.

On the upside, you can legitimately tether with a tiered plan now, since the FCC rode Verizon's behind saying they had to allow it as part of letting them use the 700 Mhz LTE spectrum.

My grandfather actually got one of our family's old Eris's for his cell phone, and uses the Wifi tether for root app to replace his satellite internet. Significantly faster too and cheaper.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones