• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm curious: who else is still using the Eris as their phone?

I'm still rocking out with an Eris, which was actually my first Android phone. Held on to it for years now, and was due for an upgrade in January...of 2011. Planned on getting the Thunderbolt, but by the time that botched release was finally complete, the Bionic looked great and the fruit company was supposed to release the phone to end all phones. By the time both of those launches failed, the Nexus was on my radar and with my Eris still functioning acceptably, I saw no reason to jump on anything just to get a new phone. The Razr and Rezound never even tempted me, and after playing with both, that didn't change. So now, I just need it to hold on until the Nexus release, whenever that may be.

Upvote 0
I'm no longer using the Eris. It was my first smart phone so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the HTC Eris but about a month ago I went with the iPhone 4S.

I'm not the kind of guy who gets religious about brands and platforms so it was easy to put the iPhone on my list of choices.

I'm pretty impressed with the iPhone - especially battery life. I usually take it off the charger around 6AM and run it until 11PM and based on the way I use the iPhone, it usually has between 50% and 70% of the battery left. Pretty darn good.

The biggest missing piece for me is Google's free turn-by-turn navigation. It's not available on the iPhone. Other brands are but there is a cost. I haven't tried any of them.

I also wish Swype were an option on the iPhone.

The nicest thing is the consistency and polish of the UI. Another positive is that it isn't pre-loaded with crapware.

Surprisingly the phone part is really good. For some reason I find its operation to be way better than it was on the Eris running 2.1. Why, I'm not exactly sure. It just seems more dependable, intuitive, and less laggy.

As for the glass back, I'd rather it was coated metal. The iPhone on it's own is like a wet bar of soap. A case is an absolute must. Don't even leave the store without a case. I've got a cheap Belkin that covers the sides and the back that takes care of the problem.

The thing is heavy compared to the Eris. I suppose it would be nice if it were lighter but I can't imagine that its weight will ever be a problem for me.

The screen is beautiful. Everything about it is superior to the Eris. Colors, resolution, and contrast are better and scrolling is much smoother. The only way they could make it better would be if the screen went full width of the case. BTW, I took a look at some of the Android offerings and while the physical size of those handsets allow for some really nice screens, I wasn't going to be able to carry them in my pocket and I don't want to start carrying a man-purse so they were a no go.

The iPhone lacks 4G so that was a concern but I hear 3G is easier on the battery and since I have wireless both at home and at work I'm using WiFi most of the time anyway.

Gmail if configured as Exchange is okay. You can read and write emails but the advanced handling just isn't there. Maybe Apple will fix this someday.

The camera is really nice. I hardly ever used the camera on my old Eris. In fact, I've already taken more pictures with the iPhone in a month than I did in 2 years with the Eris. Why? Because the camera produces better quality photos but also because the operation is more intuitive.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I have no regrets. The iPhone fits my needs pretty well. There's room for improvement but if you're like me and not emotionally tied to Android you should give the iPhone a look.

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Still using my Eris, though it's showing it's age. I will have to re-up in May but I may leave behind smartphones and the data price tag for a serviceable phone/text only and cheaper phone bill.

I have been using Swype ever since I got my Eris, but the latest update to the Beta has serious issues--maybe it's just the age of my phone, but I have gone back to the native keyboard until I can figure out what's wrong...and that makes my Eris a little bit less desireable, I can tell you.

Reactions: dracozny
Upvote 0
I'm still running my bone Stock Eris and will be till at least Feb when I am eligible for an up grade...not sure what I'll get next seriously thinking of Dumping Verizon in search of a cheaper plan. I so wish Verizon would offer a cheaper plan with less minutes. Right now for two phones we have the 700 minute plan (smallest one they offer) and between my wife & I we only use 95 min a month, verizon to verizon are free so we harldy use any minutes....

Upvote 0
wow Im not alone!
I have had my Eris for over 2 years now. Its my only phone and yes amazingly the only smart phone I have had. I thought it was kind of pointless to get one and I didnt want to spend the $$$ ..Im not a tech, and I dont game.
I just found these forums today looking for answers. I so wish I had found you all sooner!! My little Eris has begun to have issues, I have found out it suffers from the Silent Bug and it lags, and dosent dial or text quickly more often than not these days.
I love the size of this phone and it has end/send BUTTONS that are not on a screen. Wow I sound so old saying that...

Is there anything I can do to keep this phone alive?
I dont know what rooting is and/or if it would help anyway. Like I said Im so not the tech type. I am positive I dont know half of the things this phone does and sad, I didnt get a dummies guide with it. :rolleyes:

If there is no hope what phone would be a good replacement? I have vzw and I am way past time for my upgrade....

Upvote 0
I upgraded from my eris to an incredible 2, the eris was incredibly easy to root and if you root your problems will be a thing of the past. I suggest you upgrade to the incredible 2, close to the same size and a much better phone all around, Right now I am sure you can find the phone for free if you sign up for another two years with Verizon. I got mine for a penny from Best Buy mobile since they price matched Amazon wireless

Upvote 0
wow Im not alone!
I have had my Eris for over 2 years now. Its my only phone and yes amazingly the only smart phone I have had. I thought it was kind of pointless to get one and I didnt want to spend the $$$ ..Im not a tech, and I dont game.
I just found these forums today looking for answers. I so wish I had found you all sooner!! My little Eris has begun to have issues, I have found out it suffers from the Silent Bug and it lags, and dosent dial or text quickly more often than not these days.
I love the size of this phone and it has end/send BUTTONS that are not on a screen. Wow I sound so old saying that...

Is there anything I can do to keep this phone alive?
I dont know what rooting is and/or if it would help anyway. Like I said Im so not the tech type. I am positive I dont know half of the things this phone does and sad, I didnt get a dummies guide with it. :rolleyes:

If there is no hope what phone would be a good replacement? I have vzw and I am way past time for my upgrade....

Rooting the Eris is definitely easy -- there are very straightforward instructions available online -- and it's very satisfying, too. If you to that, and then install one of XTR's ROMS, you'll notice a huge improvement in your Eris. Almost like getting a whole new phone!

Upvote 0
Ah the Eris...

I picked up the Galaxy Nexus on launch but I keep my Eris around the house as I'm in the middle of turning it into a universal remote. The battery lasts around 4 days now with how it used.

It just feels so tiny in my hand now, it's hilarious.

That's an interesting idea. I use mine mainly as a recorder (TapeMachine).

I know what you mean. It seems TINY now! :D

Upvote 0
Just how much of a pain is it to re-activate the Eris?

I have been using it as an mp3/robot chicken player at the gym, and have been having the urge to run it as my phone again.

I am VERY happy with my DInc2, as many have stated it is like it is a "perfected Eris", but I miss the little guy still.

I just want to use it for a couple weeks or so, then go back to my DInc2.

Is it as easy as it should be? Call vz and BAM, switched?

Upvote 0
Wait-
What do you mean by "still on your account"?
I upgraded to the DInc2 through VZ, but I can't find my Eris on my VZwireless account site.
How would it still be on my account if it isn't activated?

If that phone was once activated on your account, and never activated on an account since then, it should become your active phone with a *228 option 1. One thing to think of is that the Eris cannot be a hotspot on VZW, so if you have that service activated for the DInc2, it should automatically deactivate. I'm not 100% sure about that, but something to watch for, if you have it.

Upvote 0
I love my little Eris. A couple of months back I became eligible for an upgrade and went shopping. I was disappointed in the choices. The newer android phones are faster and bigger. But bigger is NOT a good thing. I like the small size. I'll keep waiting for a new phone to come out that offers a decent functionality upgrade in the same nice small package. Still waiting.....

Same here. I finally rooted my Eris last night, and I'm falling in love with it all over again!

Upvote 0
Mine is still my everyday phone. I really want the Nexus, but I'm hoping for a price drop. Maybe after my vacation.

"Come to the dark side! (we have cookies! :))" :D.

Seriously, if you get the GNex and need help rooting, hit me up...its pretty straight-forward (and if you do plan on rooting, you'll want to unlock your bootloader first thing so you don't have to lose any "SD card" data/setup).

Cheers!
-SA

Reactions: paleodust
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones