• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm curious: who else is still using the Eris as their phone?

I like to remember the "Tereg Days"; if you recall those. Watching his webcast for Eris rooting if you were one of us that did flash the 2.1 leak. "one-one thousand, two-one thousand...". I recall I even went and purchased a new micro SD because the one he had seemed to work. I still have my Eris (although I don't use it much), still in mint condition and in my opinion still is cosmetically more appealing than most new phones that come out these days.

It's nice to see the profile names and profile pics (some haven't changed) of the Eris "Varsity" folks.

Upvote 0
I've had my Eris since May of 2010. Although I've been eligible for an upgrade for several months now, I am still using my Eris and I'm still pretty happy with it. Sure, it can be sluggish, but I've been able to resolve any major issues that I've had with it over the last two years by turning to this Forum. There's always a thread that deals with whatever question I've had, or there is someone here who has been able to help me. Thanks to everyone who participates in this Forum.

That said, I am starting to look for my next phone, so any advice on that score will be appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I like to remember the "Tereg Days"; if you recall those. Watching his webcast for Eris rooting if you were one of us that did flash the 2.1 leak. "one-one thousand, two-one thousand...". I recall I even went and purchased a new micro SD because the one he had seemed to work. I still have my Eris (although I don't use it much), still in mint condition and in my opinion still is cosmetically more appealing than most new phones that come out these days.

It's nice to see the profile names and profile pics (some haven't changed) of the Eris "Varsity" folks.

I still have the 2 GB SD card in a drawer somewhere. And I still remember the livestream and the room he was in.

Yeah it didn't work so hot for me. At least root was reached a couple of months later.

Upvote 0
That said, I am starting to look for my next phone, so any advice on that score will be appreciated. Thanks!

We are at a point where I would wait. There are rumors that HTC is coming out with what may be the next phone in the Incredible brand; if you've waited this long, try waiting a bit longer. Though, if you really, really need a phone now, I'd get either the Galaxy Nexus or the Droid RazrMaxx (for the huge battery life.)

Upvote 0
Still using my bone stock Eris, but it's days are number. I have a dead spot on the screen so I can't dail the number 7 and when I type text I have to keep turning the phone from portrait to landscape to avoid the dead spot. It's a major pain in the ass, but it still woks...moving onto an iPhone next...let the flamming begin....LOL

LOL, no flaming forthcoming--the iPhone is a great device.

Stay in touch and be sure to come back if you get another Android device :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Still using my bone stock Eris, but it's days are number. I have a dead spot on the screen so I can't dail the number 7 and when I type text I have to keep turning the phone from portrait to landscape to avoid the dead spot. It's a major pain in the ass, but it still woks...moving onto an iPhone next...let the flamming begin....LOL

Heh ... I did that, too, with no regrets, but I'm definitely still keeping my eye on Android, and still visiting the good group of people over here now and then. After all, who knows what my next device will be? :)

Upvote 0
Still using my bone stock Eris, but it's days are numbered. I have a dead spot on the screen so I can't dail the number 7 and when I type text I have to keep turning the phone from portrait to landscape to avoid the dead spot. It's a major pain in the ass, but it still woks...moving onto an iPhone next...let the flamming begin....LOL

Ok I take it back looks like I am going to get an incredible 2 because well it is free from Best buy and money is tight.... :fight:

Upvote 0
Ok I take it back looks like I am going to get an incredable 2 because well it is free from Best buy and money is tight.... :fight:

I think you'll be very happy with the DInc2. I went from the Eris to the DInc2 over a year ago (I think) and I'm not the only person who thinks the DInc2 is a perfected Eris, without the trackball of course.

The trackball was the death of my first Eris. I got an insurance claim and a new Eris through them (refurb, I know) and the trackball went on it as well. I tried so hard to be careful when I plugged it in too!

I have now replaced the trackball to see if I could save the phone for rainy days and just to use once in a while for good ol times sake, but it didn't help. Didn't think it would but it was worth a try.

Congrats on the DInc2, I'll see you over there!

Upvote 0
Usually you can let it start the activation dial and then immediately disconnect it. It will try two more times, and then give up and proceed with a WiFi setup.

There is also a way by entering the ##778 menu. See http://androidforums.com/eris-suppo...help-getting-pass-activation.html#post1991633

My eight-year-old niece managed to get it to work. It's practically hers now. I wish I could steal it back from her to use at work as a calculator and camera, but I bought a pink silicone case for it so it's definitely hers now.

Until she misplaces it.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm about to say goodbye to my Eris. The Motorola Droid Bionic was back in stock (and free) on the Verizon website last weekend, and I qualified for an upgrade long ago. My 9-year-old son has asked if we can keep the Eris, so we'll see how it works on WiFi for games, music, etc. See you over in the Bionic forums!

OhBe1, I just wanted to reply to say that I have always loved your user name... nice avatar as well.

Good luck with the Bionic!

Upvote 0
I am but not likely for long; I've been upgrade-eligible for about 6 months now but have held out for the right device. I was hoping it would be the Dinc4g but if its release is held past next week to force upgraders into a tiered program, I'm most likely going to go with the free Bionic as well.

If you really want to stay with unlimited data, you can pay full price for a device (so, stay month-to-month). That's a tough payment to make, but it does give you the freedom to bolt any time you like - and a continuation of unlimited data.

At some point, though, you know that they are going to end unlimited data for even this...

Upvote 0
If you really want to stay with unlimited data, you can pay full price for a device (so, stay month-to-month). That's a tough payment to make, but it does give you the freedom to bolt any time you like - and a continuation of unlimited data.

At some point, though, you know that they are going to end unlimited data for even this...

Oh, I know, I just don't want to pay full price for a device sooner than I have to :D

As for killing off unlimited data entirely, that wouldn't surprise me but at least I'll be locked in for another 2 years.

Upvote 0
Ok I take it back looks like I am going to get an incredible 2 because well it is free from Best buy and money is tight.... :fight:

I ended up going with an iphone 4 it was only $49.99. I have had it for about a week now and absolutely love it. The camera is a milion times better than the Eris & everything runs nice, smooth, & fast. I do miss my HTC ring & alert tones though!

Upvote 0
I ended up going with an iphone 4 it was only $49.99. I have had it for about a week now and absolutely love it. The camera is a milion times better than the Eris & everything runs nice, smooth, & fast. I do miss my HTC ring & alert tones though!

I bet if you got creative, you could probably put them on there. I have no clue how, since its an iPhone.

Upvote 0
Doogald,

I just ordered a Galaxy Nexus. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my rooted Eris. What a great phone it is. But I did it to keep my unlimited data plan for another 2 years (I'm sure some newer awfuller paradigm will be invented for phone companies to fleece customers by that time). I want to thank you for all your help keeping my Eris humming. It was as much (or more) your help as the device itself that made it a great phone.

What phone are you using now? I'm going to go visit that forum too:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones