I'm failing the Eris IQ test - cannot get it running!General

Last Updated:

1. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is a brand new Eris. Either it's broken, I'm stupid, or both.

Fully charged, never registered/activated, new, 8GB card in place, fingerprints wiped off. Ready... you'd think.

I press the right hand power button, and see "Airplane Mode is on" and the time. Battery indicates full, time is correct.

If I push the MENU button, I feel the buzz and the screen goes black with htc in the middle. Pushing the power button goes DARK, then back to Airplane Mode. All four touch points (Home, menu, back, and search) produce the buzz but do nothing.

I haven't found the RESET button, and it's not in the Index.

What basic, simple thing have I missed? Unfortunately, there's no 10 year old kid around to show me how to operate this #$!! thing.

Thanks, gurus

Advertisement
  2. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

Try holding down the power button until a pop up window displays. There you will see the airplane mode button. Turn off airplane mode and see if that fixes all the problems.

If not, then power off, pull the battery and then restart. If that doesn't work, then power off again and hold power button and volume up at the same time to restore factory settings.

If that doesn't work return to store!

3. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

agreed. battery pull first. then try to turn off airplane mode by holding down the power key. and if a data wipe after booting into fastboot doesn't fix it, you got a DOA my friend and its time to take it back to the store.

4. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

and just to add to what jreed2560 and romparoo advised, when you go to the VZW store have them power up the new one and make sure it works before you walk out the door...

If you are totally new to Android and the Eris, it may not be a bad idea to have them do the initial setup with you in terms of setting up Gmail, etc...

You can always mess with settings and apps when you get it home once you are confident that everything works properly!

Good Luck!

5. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

THANKS!!

The long-press-on-the-power-button got me into the correct process. It took only a minute to connect the ESN with my phone number on PagePlus, so I'm in business.

Phone seems utterly amazing and weightless compared to its predecessor, a WM machine with keyboard.

WiFi and email are now working, and it's time to begin setting up the rest of the phone.

I'll be grateful if one of the experts here will point me toward the threads that contain step-by-step optimization processes.

Whoopee!

6. smacky

smacky Banned