• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm getting a little annoyed at Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.
While you're ranting...

Keep in mind that while we don't have 2.2 quite yet... We have had two OTA updates to our phones so far to fix other issues.

Yeah, I'd like to get 2.2, but, the fact that they've updated 2.1 a couple of times within the first few months makes me willing to be patient. We haven't been ignored.

As far as I'm concerned, the Epic is a great phone as it is. It's stable, fast, signal is good, call quality is good... It really is nice to have a phone that I can whole heartedly recommend to friends. That certainly hasn't been the case with my last few smart phones.

From what I've read about the 2.2 leaks for the Epic... it just simply isn't ready yet. I'd rather wait a little longer and keep using my phone as it is, and let them work out the kinks. I don't want to "upgrade" to 2.2, and sacrifice stability in the process.

-SF

Reactions: awrnsmn
Upvote 0
While you're ranting...

Keep in mind that while we don't have 2.2 quite yet... We have had two OTA updates to our phones so far to fix other issues.

Yeah, I'd like to get 2.2, but, the fact that they've updated 2.1 a couple of times within the first few months makes me willing to be patient. We haven't been ignored.

As far as I'm concerned, the Epic is a great phone as it is. It's stable, fast, signal is good, call quality is good... It really is nice to have a phone that I can whole heartedly recommend to friends. That certainly hasn't been the case with my last few smart phones.

From what I've read about the 2.2 leaks for the Epic... it just simply isn't ready yet. I'd rather wait a little longer and keep using my phone as it is, and let them work out the kinks. I don't want to "upgrade" to 2.2, and sacrifice stability in the process.

-SF
Why not have the best of both worlds? flash the leaked 2.2.1 (Mine is completely stable) then flash back to DI18 when the "Official" OTA is being sent. You'll hear all about it all over in these forums.

Upvote 0
If Froyo is anything like the leaked version then you'll be back on here complaining of it not being as good as 2.1.

The thing is we all knew the consequences in buying a device with an older piece of software on it. Yes, it seems that some people have problems with a few things here or there, but there haven't been many phones out that didn't have their fair share of problems.

For Samsung to give us any updates at all after the phone was put out (including leaks) tells me that they are showing some initiative towards saying that they are working on something.

I just wished that there were more developers for this phone. To me the stuff that the average Joe cooks up on a phone forum has alot more potential than some things that come out legit in updates from the manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Would you rather have a laggy phone on 2.2 or 2.3 than a stable phone on 2.1?

Samsung Electronics is a GIANT Company. There is NO reason at all that we should not have perfectly running versions of 2.2 or 2.3. by now. Its only a dorky cell phone not some huge complex electronic device. Implementing something like a software upgrade for a cell phone is like a fart in the wind for a Company like Samsung. Bottom line is they could care less about there cell clients thats why we don't have it today, thats really what it all boils down to.

Reactions: thecraigj
Upvote 0
That's a false premise--my 2.2.1 is not laggy whatsoever.

It's not a false premise. It doesn't run smoothly on everyones just because it does on yours. Also, when sprint add's their crap to it then it might not be running as smoothly.

Samsung Electronics is a GIANT Company. There is NO reason at all that we should not have perfectly running versions of 2.2 or 2.3. by now. Its only a dorky cell phone not some huge complex electronic device. Implementing something like a software upgrade for a cell phone is like a fart in the wind for a Company like Samsung. Bottom line is they could care less about there cell clients thats why we don't have it today, thats really what it all boils down to.

EXACTLY! They have more than 1 thing to work on at a time. And it isn't Samsungs fault at this point it is Sprint's.

Upvote 0

You've gotta be kidding, right? "not some huge complex electronic device"? You do realize it's a small, very complex electronic device, right? You do realize that your dorky cell phone has every major component represented in your desktop PC in it (and therefore requires similar levels of hardware and software drivers)?

Anyone who knows even half a thing about cellphones or computer systems would know better than to think a major OS upgrade would be a "fart in the wind" for a system with as few mature hardware and software standards.

Reactions: dhinez
Upvote 0
Keep on ranting. It's the purpose of these boards to rant and nitpick. I'm sure you pay well over $150 (thanks, worthless 4G) a month and when you hear of other carriers and other phones receiving updates, it does suck. Sprint, you suck. Samsung, you suck more.

Me, I'm a glass half-full kind of guy these days. I'm glad that my phone is able to take really cute pictures of my dog and that I can send them to my friends to annoy them. I'm glad my phone sometimes through faulty GPS informs me I'm in a different location than I truly am, leading my wife to believe I'm with my secret girlfriend instead of at the mall, buying her trinkets of love.

on that note, I have to change my location on google latitude...

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
I honestly think Samsung did NOT put the right amount (or talented) resources to do their Android testing, development, and update support. HTC and LG seems to have a much better team in getting the code, integrating it into their hardware, testing it, and pushing it out to the service providers (to add their crap ware). Since Samsung does so many other products (TVs, washers, dryers, cameras, etc.) I think they spread the mobile division WAAAAY too thin. It seems their focus is more on supporting their big cash makers like their TV and media division.

Upvote 0
You've gotta be kidding, right? "not some huge complex electronic device"? You do realize it's a small, very complex electronic device, right? You do realize that your dorky cell phone has every major component represented in your desktop PC in it (and therefore requires similar levels of hardware and software drivers)?

Anyone who knows even half a thing about cellphones or computer systems would know better than to think a major OS upgrade would be a "fart in the wind" for a system with as few mature hardware and software standards.

No not kidding, Its just a phone and no its not all that complex. You may think it is but its not.

Upvote 0

Bingo...we have a winner. My last two phones were Samsungs and never again for me. If you want a company that supports their phones, HTC is the way to go. They ONLY make cellphones so that is what feeds them. Samsung can allow their phone division to sag and it gets lost in the quagmire of the larger company. What Samsung did with the Moment was allow for a complete revision of Android to go by and then updated....that would be allowing 2.2 to go by the wayside and then updating straight to 2.3 on the Epic. As it is, if they got to 2.2 now....y'all will NEVER see 2.3! And it is absolutely appalling that the Epic has the same problem as the Moment reference GPS...amazing.

Anyway, I begged my friends not to get this phone for this exact reason. The only upside is that there are other galaxy S series phones out there...you would think Sammy would get on the ball to support the millions sold. I don't follow to closely over here.....do any other galaxy S phones have Froyo on them????

Reactions: thecraigj
Upvote 0

Sony is a large company. There is no reason that we should be experiencing failing Playstations, buggy wifi software on blu ray players, etc.....

BMW and Mercedes are large companies. There is no reason that we should be dealing with failing components, buggy nav software, etc....

...See the hole in that type of generalized argument? These aren't just dorky cell phones. These are extremely capable multimedia devices that provide FAR MORE than a typical communication device.

I don't think he gets it.

Upvote 0
OP - what is it about 2.2 that you want so desperately that 2.1 can't do?

I have 2.2 on my Evo and 2.1 on my Epic. I'm fine with both to do most of the stuff I want to do. I know Epic will get 2.2 eventually so I'm being a bit patient.

Would it be nice if Epic had 2.2? Yea. Is it ruining my life that it is still on 2.1? No!

Upvote 0
No not kidding, Its just a phone and no its not all that complex. You may think it is but its not.

It may be just a phone to you and other people, but in actually it has more features than a netbook. Smartphones are becoming more than just phones and to say that it's just a phone is ignorant (I don't mean to be blunt). Smartphones are being built with CPU (processors), RAM, GPU (video card), and SD Card/Hard Drives (storage). You tell me that doesn't sound much like a computer. Much like a computer, smartphones (refering to Android devices) are coming with operating systems. Android is much like a Windows OS. Eclair is like Windows XP, Froyo is like Windows Vista, and Gingerbread is like Windows 7. Like computers, hardware compatibility is going to be an issue. You can upgrade a PC that has Windows XP to Windows 7, but you may not meet the minimum requirements to function correctly and flawlessly. It's Google's fault that we have all these fragmented versions of Android. They need to set minimum requirements for devices to run the different versions of Android. To be judgmental about Sprint and Samsung not providing us with 2.2 or 2.3 right away is the wrong thing to do. I remind you that we are being provided with these updates free of charge. Referring back to Windows, patches and software updates are free. When you upgrade to a newer version of Windows you will have to pay. If Android was much like Windows in the upgrade department, I would rather pay to get a better version of Android that works flawlessly and get all necessary updates free. We as users need to realize that the manufacture is not obligated to provide any upgrades to a newer OS. They are only obligated to provide updates for the current OS and software that was purchased with the device.

It's not Samsung's or Sprint's fault that a 2.2 update hasn't been implemented. We have to look at the bigger picture. Samsung is going to have to make different versions of Froyo for the other mid-range to high-end devices. What most people fail to see is that Samsung doesn't have to provide us with any update. And if they do, they have to provide versions for tablets, older phone models, and new phone models. I hear people complain that since the Nexus S has 2.3 that we should get it too. That's not true. Users need to realize that the Epic and Nexus S are two different phones. One has slightly newer tech and the other has a keyboard. One is on a GSM network and the other is on CDMA. These difference is what is keeping the Epic from being updated now. They have to make sure that the coding is correct before they port 2.3 over.

I didn't mean to write an essay about this. I could go on for awhile. I just wanted to put that writing or even porting an newer OS to a phone is a lot harder than some would think because of the difference in hardware and network. I have respect for Samsung and all the developers here that provide us with wonderful things. I can say this because I'm going to school to be a future IT tech. Most people on here are looking from a consumer stand point, where a handful of people are actually looking in from an IT/software tech point of view. For those that are still being judgmental, I invite you to write a TIC TAC TOE program and tell me that it was easy. I had to do this for one of my classes. Here is a link to the software if you want to try: http://www.alice.org.

To end this, please have patience. Samsung already promised an update.

Upvote 0
It's not a false premise. It doesn't run smoothly on everyones just because it does on yours. Also, when sprint add's their crap to it then it might not be running as smoothly.

EXACTLY! They have more than 1 thing to work on at a time. And it isn't Samsungs fault at this point it is Sprint's.

MissJennell are you just a sprint hater? Sprint is known as one of the faster Companies here in american that pushes roms out for people like you and me, and I agree they do throw a lot of crap on it ( but which company doesn't ) Plus I believe SprintID is suppose to fix a lot of there bloatwear (according to what a rep said on the engadget show a few weeks back). Anyways sprint has NOTHING to do with this.. Its Samsung.. If you knew anything you would know that Samsung is one of the worst companies when it comes to updating there own phones. Like someone else said.. Look at how fast the EVO took to get to 2.2

Upvote 0

Have you actually tried 2.2 for yourself?

It would be false premises on your part if you haven't tried it for yourself and making claims?
I have 2.2 on mine and my gf's, no bug at all...at first we had a few problems with the gps. after fixing the gps everything else works fine!
I am now happy with the phone, feels like it's worth the $$$ We had spent for it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones