• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I'm getting a MetroBackup process error

mario0318

May 13, 2011
Hey guys,

I've been getting an issue lately that's been bugging the hell out of me. The phone had been working flawlessly for the past months since I got (and rooted) it. But now just last week I've been getting an error regarding MetroBackup.

Whenever I log into certain apps I get a pop up dialog box saying the process com.asurion.android.mobilebackup.metro had some unexpected error and was forced to close. All I can do then is click Close.

Deleting the file pertaining to the app did not resolve the issue, nor did reinstalling MetroBackup. Is there perhaps a settings file or process file besides the one found in /system/app ?

I've yet to see if the dialog box appears only when accessing certain apps or if it's a random occurrence.

Any ideas?

Hey guys,

I've been getting an issue lately that's been bugging the hell out of me. The phone had been working flawlessly for the past months since I got (and rooted) it. But now just last week I've been getting an error regarding MetroBackup.

Whenever I log into certain apps I get a pop up dialog box saying the process com.asurion.android.mobilebackup.metro had some unexpected error and was forced to close. All I can do then is click Close.

Deleting the file pertaining to the app did not resolve the issue, nor did reinstalling MetroBackup. Is there perhaps a settings file or process file besides the one found in /system/app ?

I've yet to see if the dialog box appears only when accessing certain apps or if it's a random occurrence.

Any ideas?

I don't know if you fixed it yet. I think I figured out how to fix your issue.

1.Go to Root Explorer app. If you don't have it you should download it.

2.Go to the data folder. Then the next data folder. Look for com.asurion.android.mobilebackup.metro.

3. Delete it, Restart and the messages will go away forever haha=P

Tell me if it works or if you have any problems.

Reactions: mario0318
Upvote 0
Thank you! I deleted that process file. I'll reply if it comes up again.

mario, his point was that you should just get rid of MetroBACKUP.

I will add to that: If you're paying the extra $1 a month for it, stop wasting your money. While the service normally works, as it did when I used to use it, you can use your Google account to do the same thing, except MUCH EASIER, and it's free.

Use your rooted phone to your advantage--get rid of unnecessary bloat services from your carrier! :D

As a concession to MetroBACKUP, MetroSTUDIO, MetroNAVIGATION, Loopt, and so on, while these things from MetroPCS are wholly unnecessary on Android due to their superior cousins found from Google and/or in the Android Market, they are quite useful on non-Android phones, AKA "feature phones" or non-smartphones, because those lower-end phones would not have that capability otherwise.

In your case, get rid of it and use the contacts in your google account instead--it's better lol.

If you need a tutorial on how to use Google's contacts feature, by all means ask and I or someone else here will happily provide.

Upvote 0
I didn't think I read that as being his point but the solution did work. So thanks again Mikenly.

I've been using Google contacts ever since I got this phone but wanted to continue to use and backup to the MetroBackup server just in case I lose or damage the phone to the point I would have to go back to a feature phone and have my contacts restored easily in a couple of clicks.

As mentioned, the only problem with it began recently when I started getting that process error upon launching certain apps but it seems I'll have to quit using it altogether. For $1 a month I'm in no rush to quit the service just yet, but thank you for the advice!

Upvote 0
The thing is, Google contacts will restore your contacts to your phone just as instantly. Think about it. How often do you lose your phones or damage them beyond repair? What are the chances that you really would have to go back to a feature phone? I understand the "just in case" theology, but even though it's $1 a month, I think your money might be better spent putting it in the vending machine when even on a feature phone, you'd still be able to manually enter your contacts since they're saved through Gmail.

Of course I'm not going to try to tell you how you should use your money or your phone, it just seems self-evident that the chances are slim of going back to a feature phone if you generally take care of your phone anyway, and I hate to see someone thinking they have to spend money when they don't. If you want to try the app again though, you should be able to get it from the MetroPCS AppStore.

Upvote 0
The thing is, Google contacts will restore your contacts to your phone just as instantly. Think about it. How often do you lose your phones or damage them beyond repair? What are the chances that you really would have to go back to a feature phone? I understand the "just in case" theology, but even though it's $1 a month, I think your money might be better spent putting it in the vending machine when even on a feature phone, you'd still be able to manually enter your contacts since they're saved through Gmail.

Of course I'm not going to try to tell you how you should use your money or your phone, it just seems self-evident that the chances are slim of going back to a feature phone if you generally take care of your phone anyway, and I hate to see someone thinking they have to spend money when they don't. If you want to try the app again though, you should be able to get it from the MetroPCS AppStore.

He is very right. And you don't have to use metrobackup because google contacts is linked to your google account. So if you take a hammer to your phone and replace it with a new one, as soon as you sign into google via the market, you will have all your contacts. I'm glad I could help with your problem though.

Upvote 0
I, personally, use titanium backup. It backs everything up. Very convenient. If you happen to lose everything all you have to do is go to android market and download it again. Everything lost will be there fore you to restore. I couldn't live without it. Especially seeing as I've made some really dumb mistakes. I'm still sorta new to all of this tho. Lol

Attachments

• 1311251269_Titanium_Backup_3.9.0.apk
    8.6 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0
I followed this proceedure. Downloaded root explorer. I have a samsung galaxy indulge 4G from metroPCS. When I click on data, I just get a 1 forlder that say's "Parent Folder" when I click on that, it goes right back to the original page. This metro backup really is a pain in the butt. Sometimes it will come on when I get an incoming call and I can"t answer it! Can anyone help me please?

Upvote 0
I had this issue when I bought my Optimus M, right out of the box it was doing this endlessly.

I was able to get it exchange and got a refurbed phone, it didn't do this UNTIL I tapped on the MetraBackup to try to get my contacts back when I lost them once. Then it started doing it again night and day. It stopped when I had them kill the MetroBackup service completely on my phone (which in itself is a scam imho).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones