I'm getting these annoying ads on my phoneSupport

1. Zeta7

Zeta7 Member

They keep on popping up like 'Click here to win a free iPad" or "try this new xray app". Its getting really annoying, anybody help?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Well-Known Member

What you need to do is long press on the notification ad. This will tell you which app you have installed that is doing this to you. Uninstall that app.

Sorted.
  3. Zeta7

Zeta7 Member

It just brings me to their website.
  4. Simon_Gardner

I don't think so. Are you looking at the notifications?
  5. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

Yes, are they notifications in your in the top line, viewable in the notification drawer or are they in your browser when surfing the net?
  6. Zeta7

Zeta7 Member

They look like this: imgur: the simple image sharer

You can also see the website I'm linked to after holding on the ad.
  7. dynomot

So your surfing when getting these then? Try clearing the browser history, and cache, and cookies.
  8. Zeta7

Zeta7 Member

The first image clearly showed an ad on my home page.
  9. dynomot

OK, it was late I didn't double click it. I see now.

Some sort of mal/aware is sticking links to your homepage. Can you remember when this started and what you had installed/web sites youngsters visited before it first started? Download the free version of AVG from the Play Store, it should find your rogue app. The thing is you must have granted permission for something that has unforeseen consequences, have you opened a Blue tooth file your not sure where it came from? Sideloaded any apps from third party websites? Even free versions of paid for apps in the Play Store can do rogue things.
  10. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

My partners dad had a similar problem on his Note 10.1 tablet, ads were appearing on the homescreen when he unlocked the screen, sometimes an ad appeared in the notification tray.

I couldn't see any offending apps but, I downloaded AVG (the free version) from the Play Store and did a scan. It found 1 malware app which wasn't showing in his list of apps (although was acknowledged as being on the phone on the Play Store). I uninstalled it via AVG and he hasnt had any problems since.
    TomWho likes this.
  11. dynomot

Bexy is right I find AVG good at removing and finding malware. It also tells you if an app you side load (down load from other than the Play store) is malware before you install it.
    Simon_Gardner likes this.
  12. Zeta7

Zeta7 Member

I've downloaded AVG but it only showed that the issues were in my settings. "unsecure privilege mode detected" and "unsecure settings found"
  13. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

Could try airpush detector
  14. dynomot

I was going to suggest that myself. While it can't hurt I'm not sure it will work. Doesn't air push just inform what app is delivering stupid notifications? It looks like from the screen shot something is putting links on the home screen.
  15. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

That is some truly weird looking stuff. I hope I never run into it. That must sux being on the homescreen. It's bad enough when it's in your browser but at least when they run in your browser they help support the site you are visiting usually.
  16. Zeta7

Zeta7 Member

17. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I'm positive that it's being caused by an app you installed:

This article mentioned ads showing up on homescreen and icons that look like apps, that are actually ads. It mentions similar things to try that people have mentioned above already, but it's worth a read:
    Sneaky Mobile Ads Invade Android Phones | TechHive

What I would try personally is, backup all the apps you currently have installed and then remove each app one by one, until I've determined the culprit. If the ads remain, after uninstalling all apps, hard reset.
  18. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

Something you've installed is allowing *ads* to automatically install to your home screen. This doesn't automatically qualify it as malware.

If I were you I'd start uninstalling the last installed app- going backwards.

More times than not AVG or similar apps won't find the app since it's not doing anything malicious- It's just being a PITA with the ads.

It's been my misfortune to get this from 3rd party dialers or msg apps which I quickly uninstall the minute I get an ad.
  19. wendy5001

wendy5001 Member

I can't stand the ads in all my apps, can't imagine my home screen to. It's there a way to get them out of the apps?
  20. Simon_Gardner

Almost always - just by paying for the app. Go figure.
  21. wendy5001

wendy5001 Member

Bummer cause most of mine are free with no option of paid.