I'm in a Droid PickleSupport

Last Updated:

1. joelrh

joelrh New Member This Topic's Starter

Here's the deal. My phone is under my company's account at Verizon. I have a junky WinMo phone and would just love to upgrade it to the Droid.

My company is cracking down on phone types and will make everyone eventually switch to the Blackberry Tour due to data encryption issues - in 2 or 3 months.

Is there any way for me to get the Droid? Can I buy it separately and then activate it at a Verizon store? Can I sweet talk the Verizon rep and grab one. If I end up getting a Droid and my company switches everyone over to the Blackberry Tour, would I be able to still use the Droid or would it be deactivated automatically?

thanks for any insight

Advertisement
  2. fumoh

fumoh Member

If your company is dictating what phone you need to have, then your choice is pretty much made for you :)

It sounds like your company is moving to standardize the phones that users are carrying out in the field. If that's the case, then I'm sure that they're moving to a proprietary BB platform, which would not work (or at least work well) with another handset.

We had some exec users resist the move to BB here at my organization. They kept their iPhones, but were unable to access their company email because our proprietary BB enterprise server handled all the email/contact pushes (as you can guess, iPhones wouldn't work with the BB server).

Also, our IT department only supports BB devices, so even if there was a way to get push email to their iPhone from the BB server, we wouldn't help them because they weren't using a device we were familiar with.

Anyway, that's my Blackberry migration experience.

3. MotoDroidHelpandInfo

MotoDroidHelpandInfo Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's possible unless your company is really strict. I say get it know then when they switch you may have trouble getting email to work.

4. Walt750

Walt750 New Member

Here is my 2 cents. I am the Corporate BB admin. We did standardize on Blackberry. We don't support any other system. The iphone users are out in the cold. One kept his iphone ... but the company will only pay $50 of his phone bill now and no email access. They are punishing him unless he converts. We are avg. $100/month per user + BB license on the server.

We are firewalled 100% so contact with our server from the net is impossible.
    I personally like the Berries ... although they are a Dinosaur in terms of the OS. They are rock solid. No Games here .... but they are for business right.

I wish it wasn't that way myself. I like to tinker ... I bought a droid ... to play with but, will probably go back to my Tour in a few days. Now the alternative is to have a program like the BBerry server sync to an external account (perhaps a Gmail account) and you can sync to the gmail account.

Of course getting your IT dept. to do this is probably a mute point.

Sorry I don't have any better news... in this case...

Resistance is futile.

5. twztdwyz

twztdwyz Member

depends on who u talk to and what kind of plan u currently have

if you call cust. service they defiantly will not work cuz you would have to verify the account with them to make changes which if it is a corporate account you are prob. not a full access user

going to a store may work depending on what features/packages you have on your account. if the system tries to add/delete features when adding the new device like incompatible data packages, msg packages, voice plans, etc...it wont work cuz of the same reason u would have to be on the account to make changes

more then likely it u wont be able to do it...

6. Phoenixdroid

Phoenixdroid Well-Known Member

Yeah if you don't have access to the company pass words and codes then you won't get Verizon to help you let alone give you any information from the account. You will need to go through who every has that in their control at your office. But seeing that they are going BB ----good luck getting that code. Chances are that who is in charge of that code will not allow you to get a droid knowing the change to bb and for them to get stuck with the bill for the droid.

You can always buy your own phone on your own account and do whatever at that point.

Good luck with that but this already sounds like NO....besides go ask your admin. they know better than we do for your company policies.....

7. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

You don't need passcodes or the business dataplan. It's simple. If they don't lock down activesynch it will continue to work but your corporate IT don't support you. No big deal.

But if they lock down activesynch then it won't work and there's nothing you can do about it.

BB through BES is something you can't hook another platform too.

I had a client that also switched to BB only. Large county govt. But they still allowed WM phones on without official support. They did send me a cert file to import though so that was nice.