• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm late...

I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for awhile and thought that it was time to jump in. I got me Hero about 3 weeks ago and love it!!! This is also my first smart phone but I did do quite a few side by sides. As a "noob" I'm sure that I will have quite a few questions in the future..lol.

Currently I am viewing older threads, from last to first (I've made it back to page 105 so far), I have definitely learned a lot by reviewing!!!

To be honest, this forum has helped me a lot!!! I'm really looking into rooting...I need to do a lot more reading first, I found some great info on here and links to get me started. I just want to root to pretty much get rid of the pre-installed apps that I won't use...yep....NASCAR etc...

From what I have read already...rooting is the only way.

I do have one question that i haven't seen an answer to, at least not yet, I will try to use the search option again, but by mistake I have added the same ring tone several times, is there any way to delete 4 out of the five without backing up my data and resetting ?

GREAT FORUM!!!!

I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for awhile and thought that it was time to jump in. I got me Hero about 3 weeks ago and love it!!! This is also my first smart phone but I did do quite a few side by sides. As a "noob" I'm sure that I will have quite a few questions in the future..lol.

Currently I am viewing older threads, from last to first (I've made it back to page 105 so far), I have definitely learned a lot by reviewing!!!

To be honest, this forum has helped me a lot!!! I'm really looking into rooting...I need to do a lot more reading first, I found some great info on here and links to get me started. I just want to root to pretty much get rid of the pre-installed apps that I won't use...yep....NASCAR etc...

From what I have read already...rooting is the only way.

I do have one question that i haven't seen an answer to, at least not yet, I will try to use the search option again, but by mistake I have added the same ring tone several times, is there any way to delete 4 out of the five without backing up my data and resetting ?

GREAT FORUM!!!!

alright bro check this out...

did you use an app to make the ringers? if so, you don't need to...you can make a folder called music on your sd card. copy and paste any mp3s, wavs, or compatible format into that folder. then go into your music player. pick the song or sound you want as a ringer, press settings, then apply as ringtone. it becomes your default ringtone. if you want it only for a specific person, go into that person (edit contact) and when you choose ringtone, it will show up in your ringers. but only after you've added it as your default. you can now go back and change your default.

this is why i was like 'check your sd card.' if you used something else to make your ringers...i don't know the answer to your question. but as you can see, an app for ringers is actually just a waste of memory. the only thing an app may have is a way to actually edit the wav or mp3. i don't need that because i run a recording studio and use my software to edit my wavs in such.

hope this helps

Upvote 0
oh, one last thing...i was taking a look at what everyone was saying about file managers. yes, it is good to have one, in case you're not around a pc...but honestly if you're trying to organize photos, or music n stuff...it's a heck of a lot easier looking at it on a big screen through windows. i'll just add in, i love how easy it is to mount the hero to a pc...that's a huge draw to the phone for me. you don't gotta use some crap software (palm) or any workaround garbage. plug and play man...gotta love it.

Upvote 0
alright bro check this out...

did you use an app to make the ringers? if so, you don't need to...you can make a folder called music on your sd card. copy and paste any mp3s, wavs, or compatible format into that folder.

While this is true and you can do Ringtones this way, "Ringdroid" as an example (I use it) offers more options to shaping the ringtone.

First, not everyone wants the entire song as a ringtone. Also, not always is the beginning of a song, the desired portion you might want to use. The length of ringtone as well can be adjusted, this will save memory too. Considering that Sprint calls go to Voicemail after 5 Rings, you don't need a 2 minute song as a ringtone, just saying. Then saving the file for Ringtone, Alarm or Notification is selectable from within the app, making it much easier than having to use a file manager.

So yes, you CAN just simply copy the MP3 or whatnot to a folder and it works, but using an app sometimes is better.
;)

:cool:

Upvote 0
While this is true and you can do Ringtones this way, "Ringdroid" as an example (I use it) offers more options to shaping the ringtone.

First, not everyone wants the entire song as a ringtone. Also, not always is the beginning of a song, the desired portion you might want to use. The length of ringtone as well can be adjusted, this will save memory too. Considering that Sprint calls go to Voicemail after 5 Rings, you don't need a 2 minute song as a ringtone, just saying. Then saving the file for Ringtone, Alarm or Notification is selectable from within the app, making it much easier than having to use a file manager.

So yes, you CAN just simply copy the MP3 or whatnot to a folder and it works, but using an app sometimes is better.
;)

not to be rude...but if you read my whole thread i say that i use my recording software to edit ringtones and that is likely what the apps do.

Upvote 0
not to be rude...but if you read my whole thread i say that i use my recording software to edit ringtones and that is likely what the apps do.

hahaha, not being rude, it's cool. No offense, no worries... I did read the post.

I just wanted to explain all that the app Ringdroid did, especially for those non-Audiophile's... :)

I used to have to use 3 different programs to make my own Ringtones and then get them to my phone. Things are so much easier now, lol...

Regards,

Upvote 0
hahaha, not being rude, it's cool. No offense, no worries... I did read the post.

I just wanted to explain all that the app Ringdroid did, especially for those non-Audiophile's... :)

I used to have to use 3 different programs to make my own Ringtones and then get them to my phone. Things are so much easier now, lol...

Regards,

right on. its probably a good idea to recommend ringdroid though, i didn't know the name of the app. and yes, i will agree, things are so much easier...in a lot of ways now. and i'm glad about that. ok, i will stop hijacking this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones