Im new so please don't hate

Last Updated:

1. jtobin09

jtobin09 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im all new to this android stuff and i was wondering what the big deal of root is? like what can you do with root that you cant do before? Please dont comment if you have something bad to say as you were too once as new as me

Advertisement
  2. verdegallardo

verdegallardo Well-Known Member

I am as new as you, as I just rooted today. I wasn't sure why to even do it, so I researched as much as I could and also tried to make sure i could 'reverse' it if need be.

From what I have learned, the benefits (currently atleast) are:

- Free wifi tether - I just used it and ahh it was nice :D I used pdanet before it. I'd say this alone makes it worth it.

- Removing 'bloat' applications (blockbuster, cityid, social networking, etc) - this makes your app tray cleaner, but also can save battery and memory as some of them run all the time (social networking crap for example!)

- Ability to run root only apps - some examples are setcpu (you can underclock when screen if off or when battery is low for example), screenshot apps, adfree - removes ads from apps (although I haven't gotten that one to work), and several others.

There might be others, maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

And the downside - you could mess things up if you are too aggressive with your bloat removal. But I am just renaming the files instead of deleting them and only doing ones that were 'confirmed' by other members.

3. jtobin09

jtobin09 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

how do you get it all to work

4. ndfan4u

ndfan4u Well-Known Member

I too am new and want to root to get rid of the bloatware but I think it's too hard to do if you don't know what the hell you're doing. I am one of these guys that took forever to figure out how to get the beautiful widgets customized to my liking. I can only imagine rooting. God help me. :confused: