• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm new to the smartphone world- Any suggestions on apps?

affirm

Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
So I just got myself an HTC One X and was looking through the app store. There are tons of apps and I spent quite a bit of time looking through the available applications. I'm just wondering if anyone has any apps they suggest, whether it's just something to streamline my One X, something useful or something that is just cool/looks good(theme wise, etc)
Anyone have any suggestions?
I picked up skype, facebook messenger and Textplus (for texting my friends in Canada, moving to London in a month)

I'll try both free and paid for apps and games although if it's a paid app I'd prefer it if it's under $5 but I'm open to paying a bit more if it's worth it.

Suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

Open the Play store and check out the first couple hundred free apps (and paid if you like). If you spot something that may interest you just check it out. Usually the best and most popular apps can be found this way. You can do the same for any category you may be interested in. Remember, you can swipe sideways in the store to go to categories, top free, top paid, etc.

Upvote 0
It really depends on what you want to do with your phone.

Music: I rec PlayerPro but there are other really good ones out there, too.
Books: I use Moon + Reader (free), again there are other really good ones
News/RSS: gReader and Newshog.
Downright useful: Tiny Flashlight
Simple Weather Alert: warns you when your county (USA) is under some kind of threat
Scanner Radio: Listen to police and emergency radio in any jurisdiction
Travel? TripIt will store all your itineraries online for you
GPS Apps: Gas Buddy to find cheapest gas, and Trapster for radar traps

Make a nifty Android icon that represents your Residual Self Image: Androidify

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones