I'm newSupport

Last Updated:

1. bHoDoan95

bHoDoan95 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, well I just purchased a sensuous black Sony xperia x10, after selling my iPhone 3g. What are some of the first things I should do to the phone, and I'm kind of "stupid", when it comes to Androids, so if you can, be as specific as you can ;D. Also, what apps are hot in the Android Market.
    Thanks -Brandon

Advertisement
  2. bjack56

bjack56 Active Member

Try it for a bit and see how it works for you, I had abysmal battery performance right off .. a firmware update, StartupMonitor and UltimateJuice seem to have rectified that. Tried a bunch of twitter apps 'til I settled on one. Would still like a little better (louder) speaker volume, although it's very sensitive where the speaker is in relation to my ear, perhaps I just need to learn how to hold it properly. :p

Initially it was going back (after the first day) but I'm glad I did some reading and got the battery issue resolved..I'm loving it now!

3. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I second that... Juice Defender and Advanced Task Killer were the choices for me. Battery life does improve over time and as previous poster said updating the firmware helped too. If the phone says its up to date, don't necessarily believe it! Try the Pc companion support section and if that still says up to date then try the Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS) programme downloadable from their site. It was only on the later that I could get the latest updates.

I also added the HTC_IME keyboard from Jonasl on XDA developers forum and then later went onto skin it with Gimpsta's keyboard on XDA too. The stock keyboard isn't bad but the HTC one gives numeric T9 or qwerty and just suits me more.

I have two apps to get to my contacts... Mecontacts which gives you 24 squares to asign to a contact and you can either chose dial/sms/view contact. I also have gesture search which you use your finger to draw the letter of whatever contact/app you are looking for and it gives you an immediate list.

Other than that have a look on google for sites that give 100 best apps and see what takes your fancy. If its free give it a go, if you like it- keep it. If not ditch it!

4. bjack56

bjack56 Active Member

Oh-just added k9 mail as well, improvement over the email apps thatcame on the phone (IMO) as well as Battery Indicator (as I'm so anal abt. my battery state) shows remaining battery in % in the notification bar.

5. Brumbjorn

Brumbjorn Active Member

Space and the physical back button closes the SE-keyboard. Without space the back button erases the underlined thing. A single letter is erased by the back button on the virtual keyboard. The thing underlined by the keyboard can also be replaced by the suggestions.

I'm one of the fans of the SE keyboard as it has useful left and right keys and u can easily insert a '

6. Brumbjorn

Brumbjorn Active Member

And by the way. Some apps recommendations Astro - file manager, Jorte - Calendar, Handcent SMS, MortPlayer if u are into podcasts or audiobooks, PicSay - add speech bubbles to pics, RoboDefense Lite - Game, Air Control Lite - game, Rock Player - xvid video, Gesture Search to find contacts and apps fast, App Brain to find interesting apps!

ADW launcher to change all of the home screen. But wait a bit with that untill you know what works for you. That is actually a good advice generally. Do a little bit every day.

I stopped using advanced task killer and has not seen any difference. There are threads on that specific topic.

And btw add your email address to the user dictionary in settings. You will use it a lot to register everywhere. Be ware of dots though.

7. tinkk

tinkk Well-Known Member

gensoid and gameboid, emulators are the best for games hands down imo, recommend binding your camera and back buttons though as no multi-touch, quite easy to get used to!

also got andoku, never got into it when it was an old-persons fad but the app is really easy to use and its good to keep me on my toes over the summer, other than that i have most of what brumbjorn recommended, i use the advanced task killer alot though mainly to avoid slowdown with gameboid