I'm not in China

Last Updated:

1. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was playing around with Google Maps this morning. When it first started up, it said that I was in Beijing China. When I activated the GPS satellites, it got my location correct.

In fact, each time I start Google Maps, it says that I'm in Beijing. It doesn't correct itself unless I activate GPS.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Advertisement
  2. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

if google maps says you're in china then YOU'RE IN CHINA.

3. Dabrador

LOL! Normally, you're right. But it's irritating that I have to go through an extra step just to get the map to the right starting point.

4. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

go to the other side of the earth and see if it says you are in the US. if it does, problem solved.

5. baddriver

baddriver Well-Known Member

i had a strange error on saturday. google maps showed my location as being somewhere near miami, fl. I was in NY at the time. My phone is and has only been in NY. Even stranger it seemed to be the gps that was putting it there, not the towers because it showed my location as being highly accurate, no blue circle radius around it. I was indoors at the time, but near the window. After about 5 mins I went outside to see if it was some sort of GPS error. That seemed to fix it, and it hasn't been a problem since. weird.

6. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Your phone is sending you subliminal messages. (*"Take me to Florida!!!"*)

7. Dabrador

Ok...it now seems to have corrected itself. But the problem sounds like the one above (NY-> FL).

Strange...

8. SimonSays

SimonSays Active Member

Have you updated your cell towers by dialing *228 and pressing 2? If your droid was assembled/tested somewhere (IE China) else it may be assuming its still nearby those towers when you first turn on maps.

Just a guess.

9. baddriver

baddriver Well-Known Member

this happened a week into using the phone. I had already used google maps (accurately) several times. I have also updated with *228 before and after that, but I don't think that's related as it receives tower info when you activate it and it's only a week old.

10. Dabrador

So you had the same problem? Where did your map say you were located?

11. galt

galt Well-Known Member

To the China guy: You are holding your phone upside down. If it ever says Africa, you are holding it sideways.

To the Florida guy: When you went outside, were you in Florida? I am curious why you had to go outside to check, and did notjust look thru the window?