• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'm now rooted (S-OFF) but still can't remove bloatware apps.

A lot of people choose to flash custom ROMs for this (and many other reasons) because it is generally already done for them. But you most certainly do not need a custom ROM for this to work.

Read section 2 under "After Rooting" in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

It instructs you to freeze apps with titanium backup. It is by far the safest method. If you insist on actually removing them, the best way is to either use root explorer or a terminal emulator to copy whatever you want to remove from /system/app to the sdcard, then remove it from /system/app. That way, you can get back whatever you removed if you need it.

Upvote 0
I read it and thought Titanium Backup was just one of the options. I was under the impression that one I was rooted I would be able to just drag Blockbuster and NOVA down to remove or go into Apps and click Uninstall.

Nope, that doesn't work for system apps. To truly uninstall, you must either do what I suggested above or use the remove option in titanium backup. If you do that, though, you will not be able to get it back.

No matter what you do, make a nandroid backup, first.

Reactions: hook3m
Upvote 0
Nope, that doesn't work for system apps. To truly uninstall, you must either do what I suggested above or use the remove option in titanium backup. If you do that, though, you will not be able to get it back.

No matter what you do, make a nandroid backup, first.

Technically, if you wanted you could do it all through adb, but that would require you to know how to do that.

Basically you would do the following:

Open a command prompt and do the following:

cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
adb remount
adb shell (this should return a # sign. If not, you are not rooted)
cd /system/app
ls (this will list all of the apps you have. The apps are apk files)
rm nameofapkyouwanttoremove.apk

That should just remove the apk all together and "uninstall" the app. Keep in mind though, there are some apps you cannot/should not remove.

Granted, the above was how I sometimes did it on my Hero before I got the Evo, and I haven't tested on Evo yet, but adb hasn't changed so this should still work :)

Upvote 0
Technically, if you wanted you could do it all through adb, but that would require you to know how to do that.

Basically you would do the following:

Open a command prompt and do the following:

cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
adb remount
adb shell (this should return a # sign. If not, you are not rooted)
cd /system/app
ls (this will list all of the apps you have. The apps are apk files)
rm nameofapkyouwanttoremove.apk

That should just remove the apk all together and "uninstall" the app. Keep in mind though, there are some apps you cannot/should not remove.

Granted, the above was how I sometimes did it on my Hero before I got the Evo, and I haven't tested on Evo yet, but adb hasn't changed so this should still work :)

Yeah, you can do it that way, too, but it's basically the same thing as using a terminal emulator or root explorer. If you already have adb set up, you may as well do that. Though, I still recommend moving them to the sdcard instead of just removing them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones