• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Im officially Swyped out

I think this is one area they need to fix, that and contractions. I have a CLIQ XT which comes with swype. You not only have to hit the period but you also have to swype over the apostrophe for contractions (can't, don't, etc.) which is also a waste. Those things should be in the dictionary already. It isn't as if there's another close word to "dont, cant, wasnt". The stock keyboards recognize contractions without having to type the ' so why can't swype? Oh well, maybe next time. :thinking:

to use contractions just swipe over the apostrophe like you would a letter...such as d>o>n>'>t. You don't have to type it in. My second day with swype and so far I love it.

edit: oops sorry. upon rereading your post i see you did say you knew you could swipe over the apostrophe but think it is too much trouble. Seems pretty easy to me though.

Upvote 0
I found Swype not to my liking, almost useless.

I am not real fast, but my typing method using on-screen boards is with my left index finger, and I do have a steady, rather quick rhythm about it. Swype turned out to save me about three seconds per average short text, and about 6 seconds on longer ones, as long as the texts were not technical in nature, then it failed all together, costing a lot of extra time going back to spell certain important words correctly.

I really don't need those extra seconds in view of the incorrect spellings Swype kept coming up with, in addition to the fact that many words I need to type are from a medical dictionary, which Swype has no clue about at all, given its silly attempts at forming some of those words (some of those attempts were rather amusing).

Tap the word in once no matter how many characters. After that you just swype, it will type it out how ever you typed it the first time. Duh.

Upvote 0
Tap the word in once no matter how many characters. After that you just swype, it will type it out how ever you typed it the first time. Duh.

I don't need to type words into a dictionary to use my keyboard effectively, duh boy; all I need to is carefully enter the letters.

Trying the Swype app was to see what it was, and that's about it. It is useless to me.

Upvote 0
I just realized you are signing your posts, "duh."

Dear Mr. Duh,

I'm going to have to reserve my serious responses for other members here.

Meanwhile, grab your dictionary, or go to Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com, and look up "preference." Then attempt to segue that definition with a view outside of all the people you see; notice anything? They are not identical. And they likely all have differing preferences and priorities.

Some do get together and pretend like their particular choices are superior to anybody else's; I'll grant you that.

Upvote 0
Lol I have used the internet for a long time, 10+ years. I don't engage in forum battles. I am majoring in Logistics. So I was tempted to completely humiliate and start the endless forum battle, but I know how those end and you do too. So I will just leave it at your a tool for wanting to even start that. If swype is not for you, then I'm sorry you don't like it. You should post on their forums and copy paste your preference link to webster on the swype forums and tell them how to better their product.

Get your last word in, I am not replying to you directly again.

Upvote 0
Lol I have used the internet for a long time, 10+ years. I don't engage in forum battles. I am majoring in Logistics. So I was tempted to completely humiliate and start the endless forum battle, but I know how those end and you do too. So I will just leave it at your a tool for wanting to even start that. If swype is not for you, then I'm sorry you don't like it. You should post on their forums and copy paste your preference link to webster on the swype forums and tell them how to better their product.

Captain Duh. Less attitude. No one cares what your "majoring in". That was an irrelevant bit of information. You are clearly trying to be a jerk and exceeding even your own expectations I do believe. Can it.

Upvote 0
I found Swype not to my liking, almost useless.

... Swype turned out to save me about three seconds per average short text, and about 6 seconds on longer ones, as long as the texts were not technical in nature, then it failed all together, costing a lot of extra time going back to spell certain important words correctly.

I really don't need those extra seconds in view of the incorrect spellings Swype kept coming up with, in addition to the fact that many words I need to type are from a medical dictionary, which Swype has no clue about at all, given its silly attempts at forming some of those words (some of those attempts were rather amusing).

Sidestepping the silly personal insults that just happened, I make this comment to anyone who might find this thread in the future and be in a similar situation. Frisco's main critique was apparently not against Swype's concept but its poor recognition of technical terms commonly used in his messages. A valid suggestion was made that if you commonly use "non-mainstream" words that Swype doesn't recognize, you can consider adding them. There's an initial cost in time to do that, but if you like the Swype concept you may find it beneficial to invest that up-front time for long-term payoff.

Alternately, if there are too many terms to make that practical or their use is infrequent enough to not justify permanent addition, a user could try Swyping only the common words and conventionally tapping in the non-mainstream words.

Over time, Swype proficiency might increase enough to make the time savings per message be more substantial than what you see in the first day or two you try it.

Or, you may conclude (as Frisco did) that it's not worth it for you. YMMV.

(I am not (yet!) a Swype user, but hope to try it soon. I expect to find myself in a similar position to Frisco, so his critique interests me.)

Upvote 0
i've been using Shapewriter for about a week now and i really like it, but after reading everything here, i want to try Swype. it sounds like it has a better interface. it does work on stock 1.5 right?

Yes it does. I am using 1.5 and the Swype Lite version works perfectly. Popolak (spelling?) has a good link. I love it.

Reactions: taterdiditoo
Upvote 0

troll.

Upvote 0

I already told Frisco that it makes no sense to not like swype, you add words that the stock keyboard does not know so adding them in swype isnt a big deal.

Lol, illiterate. If anyone is a troll, its you... one word posts. Admins should change settings on forums so you cant post one word posts.

Upvote 0
Perhaps there is...I would like to have an app that I could just draw with my finger (like Google Gesture Search) for texting. That would be much more useful to me.
Really? Have you actually tried that, or are you just imagining what it would be like?

I used a Palm device for many years with their "handwriting recognition" data entry method. I could enter text with a very low error rate via that method, and I was pretty quick. Still, max data entry rate that way was not much better than 1 char per second.

There's a reason no device manufacturer or mobile OS does data entry that way anymore. Even one finger poking on a keyboard (virtual or physical) is faster than that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones