• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm planning on buying a new iPod, what can I do with my old ones?

Although I hate the iPhone with a passion and prefer the Droid, I still have somewhat of an allegiance with Apple.

I'm getting either an iPod Classic or an iPod Touch 64GB. The classic is cheaper and it's nice because I have a Droid and I need the iPod for my car/listening to music. The Touch is nice and i have The huge App Store but it's really expensive and a lot of apps on the App Store that I want are on the Android Market.

Anyway, I have two iPods right now. The newer one is an 8GB iPod Touch 1st generation. I already jailbroke it so I don't really need to do anything software wise. However, it' has a bunch of scratches that I need to buff out (IDK how to though lol) so I need a case but they don't make them for 1st gen anymore. The older one is a 5th generation iPod (classic). I try to use it for my car but it doesn't work as well as my Touch (because the audio jack is broken but even if I connect it using the bottom port, the music quality still lacks).

What can I do to make these iPods more useful? I think I'll have more of a challenge with the iPod Classic since the audio jack doesn't work.

I use a Zune 30 in my car. Old as dirt but it looks nice and I got it for $20 off a friend :) Does everything I want it to, and it stays in my car. For the record since putting this in I haven't touched my CD player. You could probably find someone with an old Zune willing to trade for one of your iPods. You're probably giving up a bit of monetary value but you're gaining utility, seeing as your current iPods are basically useless.

I won't even comment on the touch. It's basically an iPhone minus the phone app, and the Droid > iPhone.

IMO there isn't much of a reason to use a regular iPod over your Droid unless you need your entire collection with you at all times. I'd much rather stream music via Pandora / Last.fm / Slacker / etc... in fact I just recently deleted the 11 GB of music I had on my micro SDHC card to make more room for videos.

The only dedicated music device that I would consider over my Droid would be the Shuffle, since it's cheap and lightweight it's perfect for any physical activities such as jogging, running, weightlifting, playing sports, etc. Those are all things I'd rather not do with my phone on me.

Upvote 0
Just as an example, I have an iPod ready headunit that I love. There is no CD player, but I can play anything from a flash drive, droid, mp3 player and obviously ipod. Not sure what you have, but I must say this is a great investment. The headunit is actually the reason I bought an ipod!

Alpine IDA-X100:
ALP_idax100.jpg

Upvote 0
I'll give the Ipod Touch this, the biggest reason I would only choose the Ipod touch over the Zune HD is if I was looking for more than just music, videos, and internet. If I was looking for apps I'd do it. But, I'm just looking for a media player, I'll go with the Zune HD. Ipods aren't bad honestly, but I don't like Itunes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones