• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Im rooted...now what?!

Well. MY shift is now temp-rooted. (MAJOR thanks to barberboy and 330D), now what can I do? I honestly just wanted to do this to further my knowledge with my Droid, but I got so caught up in trying to root my phone, I forgot why I wanted to so bad...
Can I run custom ROMS on a temp root?
What are some cool things to do with my phone now?
I know these questions sound silly, but I just want the full root-experience (after going through all that trouble).
ANOTHER thing...I uninstalled some pre-loaded apps, then rebooted (killed the root) and theyre back...I was half expecting this, but is there any way to PERMANENTLY remove them?
Thanks again guys! :D

Reactions: barberboy
You are a little bit limited to what you can do with temp root. You can't load any custom ROMs or kernels with temp, you need s-off and custom recovery for that.
I think one the biggest things you can do with temp root is use root apps, such as wireless tether.

As far as removing apps, any apps you remove are going to be repopulated by the Stock ROM once you reboot. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze apps, this will completely disable them and remove them from your app drawer. Technically they are still there but not using up any resources. Frozen apps won't reappear after rebooting, they'll need to be "defrosted" before they are visible/active.

Reactions: littlewolf
Upvote 0
One thing I noticed with titaanium when i froze sum apps then went to defrost it says i had like 3 defrost left or something so I jus gave up all together freezing apps and just not happily use the phone how it is with the temp root. I would like to have all the bs bloat and what not from bogging my phone down but idk i just take the good with the bad and hope the dev dudes come on with s off so i can join the leagues of many who are NOT forced to use their like "they" want us too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones