I'm rooted

Last Updated:

1. DoubleEagle

DoubleEagle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well I just rooted my DX!! i used the z4root and WOW that was easy! I just purchased the cw recovery app. What do I do know, I mean do I press the bootstrap recovery button in the cw recovery or do I hit the reboot recovery button?

Advertisement
  2. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

You need to hit the top one first and it will give you a pop up that says Sucess! then you don't have to hit that button again. Anytime you want to boot into recovery you can hit reboot recovery. I would also suggest ROM manager as this helps with managing backups.

DoubleEagle likes this.
  3. DoubleEagle

DoubleEagle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok I'm rooted and purchased cw recovery,rom manager, quick boot, this is so scary to me it's unreal but that's just because I'm just new to all this. Well i hit the bootstrap button in cw recovery and it said success! So does that mean I'm backed up if this thing bricks? What other things do i need to get?

4. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

No, clicking that button only allow you to boot into recovery. To make a backup of your current settings you should go into Rom manager and click "backup current ROM" a pop up will come up asking you to name it. The default name is the current date. I would give it a meaningful name like 2.2 stock or something like that. once you hit ok after deciding a name it will shutdown. This is good. The M will pop up then you will see stuff starting to happen it takes ~5 min for it to backup (or I could just be bad at estimating time passed!). After the backup is made it will take you into the custom recovery screen that is all black with green text. From here you can do a lot of things the first option is Reboot phone. This will pwr done then pwr up sending you into your phone as normal. From that menu you can also wipe your data/ factory reset and wipe cache as well. You can also backup directly from here but ROM manager is way easier IMO. To navigate within the custom recovery the Volume Up/Down is up and down, respectively. The camera button is to select whatever is highlighted (make sure to press it all the way down as it is a two-stage button and needs to be fully depressed to select anything). the top power button will back you out one menu. So lets say you went into install zip from SD card from the main menu to get back to the main menu to reboot just hit the pwr button.

With ROM manager you can download ROMs and themes directly from the app. but the first rule of flashing new ROMs is MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. In case you mess something up you can just restore your backup and try again.

Some root required apps I would recommend.
    Root explorer is a must. (allows you to edit/access read-only files)
    SetCPU is nice. (set clock profiles to underclock. monitor CPU speed).
    Drocap2 (screenshots)
    Titanium backup (back up data for all apps. and apps themselves.)
    Wireless tether (ad-hoc data connection)