• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

im so happy! 3g in Detroit

i am in Lincoln Park which is near detroit, i am also using prl 3024. and i get 3g from here to wyandotte, taylor, allen park, southgate. etc..

So that means we are pretty much neighbors. I to am seeing the 3g in all of those areas. Did some more speed testing and a couple tests got up to 335 and on in the mid 200's. Its still hit or miss with each test tho. Tried the FCC speed test app someone posted about and each test I get -0 foe the download test, normal upload and normal ping. Weird. Like the connection takes a few seconds to initialize but the test is over( or almost over) before the downloading starts.

Also checked my friends Optimus today and hers had the 3015 prl. I didn't have my computer n not much time, so I did the *228 and it said it wasn't able to complete the task but rebooted and she had 3019. She had 1x in her house and I had 3g. Thought I'd share.

Upvote 0
It seems as though all metro phones are starting to see the recent network change. My sister has the LG Banter Touch from Metro and called me yesterday asking about a weird new icon on her screen. She said it used to say 1x, but now it says EV. I told her to look through the settings and see if any evdo, 3g, or prl was listed and she hasnt replied yet. But I'm assuming thats her phones icon for evdo 3g service.

Also there have been a couple updates to the Speed Test app and it seems to be working better and more responsive for the download tests. I have seen speeds as fast as 350 kbps and as low as 40 kbps. Average seems to be 150-180 with a lot of variants in between. Overall I'm now happier with the slight improvement of browsing speeds...so lets hope they keep it up and make it faster and available to more areas.

Upvote 0
thanks to the link in this thread i was able to manually alter my PRL setting to 3024 i believe. My 3g coverage tends to be VERY spotty. For example, i live in the Westland/Garden City area, where i normally will have the 3g symbol on my phone, but i work in the downriver area, and my phone reverts to 1x, but then at school i have 3g again. Speed seems to work quite well in 3g areas w/ a good signal strength, however i have no real numbers from tests to prove that. Since more and more people around the US are noticing their ability to have 3g, i wonder if metro will be offering it soon perhaps?

Upvote 0
i live in the Westland/Garden City area

I live @ Michigan Ave. And Howe rd. In Wayne and mine and everyone else i know with metro automatically updated to 3025 which gave me personally a very speedy and constant 3g connection. Did you try updating through *228 b4 manually pushing the 3024 on your phone? I would recommend that you undo the prl tweaking you did then try updating the *228 way and if you are not updated to a 3g capable prl then manually push 3025 to your phone because 3025 is what everyone in our area is being updated to by metro. Good luck.

Upvote 0
You said you it reverts back to 1x when you are in the "downriver" area? What part more specifically? I have posted in a couple other threads about getting the 3g icon (slightly faster browsing speeds) and I live in the same area you say reverts back to 1x. I primarily am in the Taylor area (Allen & Goddard), but have had the icon in all surrounding cities.

Like the above member said, I would put prl 3025 on it and see if there is a difference. Also stated in other threads about people I know (in my same area) having 3025 automatically updated to their phone. Glad to see more members getting the slightly faster speeds, but the speeds vary quite a bit.

Upvote 0
So has anyone tried this one out yet? I notice that its listed as 0326 rather then the normal 3025 (without the 0 at the beginning). If it was extracted from another phone, would it make it any different?

Sorry, just noticed it was only posted like 10 minutes ago...lol. Didn't notice the post date when I downloaded it. Ill wait and see if anyone has any improvements from it.

Upvote 0
I notcied I was getting even more crappy service/signal using 3029 and installed 3028 and it seems more consistent and better in my area. My house is in the great coverage area as listed by Metro, but I get like 0%-45% made inside or outside.

The 3g boost thread (switching to simple IP) works and seems I get faster speeds (good speeds for my signal quality.

I live in the metro Detroit area, downriver area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones