I'm soooooooooooo lost.......General

Last Updated:

1. lindsb

lindsb Member This Topic's Starter

Rooting, ROMS, Overclocking, OTA and 2.1.....Please for the love of God, tell me what all this means? I'm soooooo lost.
    Linds

Advertisement
  2. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

Unless you're interested in doing any of these things, you don't need to know.

Rooting: "hacking" the phone so that you can install a custom ROM onto it
    ROM: essentially the OS of the phone
    Overclocking: forcing the phone's CPU to operate faster than the default, you can only do this if you've "rooted" your phone
    OTA: over the air, usually in reference to an over the air update that your phone downloads from Verizon's servers
    2.1: the latest version of Android. The Eris currently runs 1.5 of Android but is expected to be updated to 2.1 via an OTA update. However, some people have downloaded and installed the leaked 2.1 update that became available last week.

Matlock likes this.
  3. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

In simple terms, rooting is gaining access to th phone's programming at the basest level. It will allow us to have more access to the programming. ROM in non-technical language is the brains of the phone. It's what makes it work. When your phone is shipped to you it has the 1.5 ROM (or operating system) firmware. 2.1 is what we are waiting for. It's the newest version of the Android operating system. Overclocking has to do with the speed of the computer's processor. Think of the CPU in your computer. OTA is over the air, it is how verizon delivers udates to your phone. LIke the 2.1 ROM we are officially waiting for.

4. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

The GPS and Google Maps will help you to find yourself. :D

aleis likes this.