I'm sorry but...

Last Updated:

1. bu9

bu9 Member This Topic's Starter

I've gone through the tutorials for how to root the eris on 1.5 like 30 times now, and they are all based for a PC. With my mac, some things are different, and therefore i can't find a way to root it. Does anyone have a guide for how to root on a mac?

Advertisement
  2. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

if its mac X and above in your command line you need to type the commands as:
    ./adb
    instead of
    adb

and you wont have to worry about the usb drivers either.

instead of setup whatever in the guide just go to the tools directory and type
    android

3. bu9

8. Right-click My Computer > Properties, and go to Device Manager. You should see a device with a yellow exclamation next to it, this is your phone (if you don't see it you probably forgot to enable USB debugging mode)

this is where i'm stuck

4. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

As stated above you don't need to worry about the driver, so skip past that part.

5. bu9

9. Right-click the device, select Update Driver. Browse to your Android SDK directory, and you should see a "USB Driver" folder in it now. If you don't, you forgot to download the USB Driver package when in "SDK Setup.exe". Select the driver in that folder.

10. You can test to make sure everything is working by going to a command prompt, go to the \tools\ directory of the Android SDK, and type: "adb shell". If you see a "$" (or "#" if you're already rooted) sign you're good.

so I'm suppossed to skip 9 as well then, and go straight to 10?

6. dracozny

yes

when in doubt check the sdk installation instructions: Installing the SDK | Android Developers
    and no you dont need eclipse as i'm sure you ill ask. ;)

7. bu9

lol thanks :p but now when i go into terminal and get into the tools directory and type adb shell as it tells you to in number ten, i get "-bash: adb: command not found". what do i do?

8. dracozny

you forgot ./
    so type
    ./adb shell

when you type adb it looks to the system directory for the executable so its checking /bin and /usr/bin.
    by typing ./ your telling bash to execute the file in the directory your in