• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I'm starting to hate my Droid 1

Drummynator

Lurker
Jan 16, 2010
USA
I just can't stand it anymore. Is anyone else's running painfully slow? When I got my Droid 1 it had 2.0 but a few days after I got it was upgraded to 2.0.1 so i didn't get much time to play around with 2.0. Needless to say, 2.0.1 was my favorite firmware I've had so far. 2.1 kinda lost me when I didn't get the promised speed increase, and the notification LED stopped blinking when the screen was turned on. 2.2 would be my favorite except for the fact that it slows down my performance so much that I'm ready to snap the phone in half. I'm waiting literally 5-10 seconds to switch screens, and another 3-5 to load the icons on that screen. I was rooted when I had 2.0.1, but I'm not now.

I am really thinking about upgrading this month, and my contract ends next year. Although I heard that the Droid 2 only has a higher clocked processor and a different keyboard and isn't worth the cancellation fee. I've also been looking at Droid X. I'd definitely miss an external keyboard, but I'd sacrifice an external keyboard for performance. So here's my dilemma... I really want to get rid of my Droid 1 for one of the newer models, but I'm not sure what to get. I haven't really looked at the incredible, but I wouldn't mind.

I know like 3 people with Droid X and 2 with Droid Incredible so I've gotten a little bit of a feel for each, but I know no one with a Droid 2.

I apologize for my little rant, and thanks for reading. So what are you're opinions on these phones?

Droid X is a better value for the money, but you will of course lose your keyboard.

If the keyboard is something you can live without, i would definitely choose the Droid X.

Why? Better camera, larger screen (almost too big lol), HDMI output.

Same processor so performance isnt that different.

But, BGR and Engadget did a piece on how the Droid 2 has the fewest returns/issues of ALL their phones at this time. We all know for a fact, this is not the same for the Droid X.

But nevertheless, IMHO....I would choose the Droid X.

Reactions: Drummynator
Upvote 0
I moved your thread to the Motorola droid support section.
MAybe you'll get more help here.
Your D1 should NOT be that slow. There are many things you can do to improve your performance.
The best option is root.

Also, try clearing out your cache if you've never done that.
Also, delete text messages. MAke sure you dont have thousands just sitting there.

Other members might be able to give you more tips.

Reactions: Drummynator
Upvote 0
Just in case you don't know how to do what I said in my previous post, here's a walkthrough that should make if very easy for you!

* I copied most of this guide from OMJ. I omitted items you would not need for what you are trying to do in order to consolidate this thread.

If you unplug your phone while doing this it will break it beyond repair, Verizon will not be able to fix it. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO USE IT!

Here is a guide.
Requirements
A. A stock sbf file
2.0.1 VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03. sbf

2.2 (FRG22D) VZW_A855_FRG22D_QSC6085BP_C_01.4..sbf **i threw this in here in case you for some reason need to SBF back to straight stock 2.2.**

B. http://androidoverdrive.com/downloads/RSDLite4.6.7z (RSDLite 4.6)

C. Current Motorola Drivers **Crucial these are updated**

Make sure you download the correct drivers for your system either 32bit or 64bit

Instructions:
1. Download all of the files above including the 32-bit OR 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers.
2. Install RSDLite AND the 32-bit or 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers (Depends on your system most will need 32-bit some will need 64-bit)
3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then turn it back on, while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD. (Some users have said it is easier to hold the volume down button and camera button instead.)
4. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
5. Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
6. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock no root.
8. Done

You will soon be prompted to do an OTA update. DO NOT do this, as it will put you right back to 2.2 stock. Just hit "Install Later".

**Now, once this is done....you'll need to root the device.**

You can find the 2.0.1 root (update.zip) HERE. This will only work if you are running 2.0.1!

Once you have completed the above, you can take a stock 2.2 Droid down to 2.0.1, root it, then begin downloading any rom you choose :)

Hope this helps you with your Droid bud. Let me know if you need anything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones