I'm starting to hate my Droid

Last Updated:

1. Jceinc

Jceinc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nobody can hear me and I'm sick of repeating myself! Anybody else have this problem?? Callers on the other end are saying I sound muffled or my mumbling. :mad: I'm tired of speaking loud and slow.

Seems like the Incredible won't be out before my 30 days is up so I may jump on the N1.

Any advice/input?

Advertisement
  2. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

Do you have a case on? Is it covering the hole you need to talk to? If you have a case does it cover the hole in the back of the phone. Do you have voice privacy on or off. The most important one is did you upgrade to the new baseband or official 2.1?

Jceinc likes this.
  3. Jceinc

No case. Voice privacy is on, should it be off? Got the 2.1 OTA update on the 6th.

Thanks

4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

This is sort of an issue with some Droids, many have been returned for this exact issue. Maybe you got a bad one. Most are crystal clear, yours should be too.

5. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

I have voice privacy off. I used to have that problem with my Dare and that was the only thing that seemed to fix it. Other than that, I'd take it back and ask for another. It shouldn't act like that.

Jceinc likes this.
  6. Jceinc

I did go back to the store. The nimrod that helped me said I sounded crystal clear when I called him.

7. StingRay

StingRay Well-Known Member

if you like all the other features of the phone I'd take that one back and exchange....I don't have that problem with mine and most others don't seem to either...

if overall you're just not happy with the phone, then try something else...

Jceinc likes this.
  8. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

LOL in that case, call VZW customer support. The people in the store really hate swapping phones out when they think they can get away with making you keep it. I am probably biased. I had one bad experience with a VZW store once and I usually won't go in for service unless I absolutely have to.

Jceinc likes this.
  9. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

I would suggest turning the voice privacy off and see what happens. Otherwise, I would return it and get another on. I will tell you the truth, I used to buy smart phones in the day of PocketPCs and iPaqs. They were always more of a gadget and less of a phone in terms of voice quality. The Droid is my first smart phone since my PocketPC 5 years ago, and I am blown away by the absolutely awesome sound quality in both directions. Motorola has done a stellar job with this device. I would encourage you to stick with it and exchange your Droid for another Droid if there is no voice improvement.

Jceinc likes this.
  10. Jceinc

Yeah I knew I was gonna have problems with the schmuck when I first explained my situation. First words outta his mouth was "oh is that right"

11. droidftw

droidftw Well-Known Member

my verizon is good but stupid. I take my phone in for a hardware problem then gthey do a hard reset. There stupid because that's for a software problem. Then they give me a new phone witthin 10 mins.

12. thrifty

thrifty Well-Known Member

Sorry for the thread hijack. But what exactly does "voice privacy" do?

13. nydrumboy

nydrumboy Well-Known Member

Does this user need to update his Radio software?

14. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bad Droid. When I talk to my friend (he has a Droid, I have an Alias), I can hear him and he can hear me.

15. jtb199

jtb199 Well-Known Member

How would one do this?...

16. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

your complaint is a common one for Droids...it's just how the phone is. Now I have turned off voice privacy and there are settings under the service menus that people say help. It's a super old thread if anyone could find it please..

Jceinc likes this.
  17. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Voice quality on the Droid has been great for me...yours should not have that issue. I've had my wife call me from my phone and the sound is clear and clean, several friends also have Droids and they have had zero issues w/voice quality on either end.

I would get a new phone ASAP - if you're within 30 days just stop by the store and get a new one. If you're past 30 days call and get one (refurb) sent to you. I've never had any difficulty getting a replacement phone either way.

Jceinc likes this.
  18. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

jmt9779, Jceinc and Psychokitty like this.
  19. alowishus

alowishus Active Member

I know that I purchased a body glove case for the phone and people have a really hard time hearing me with it on. No problem with voice quality once I take it off tough.

Jceinc likes this.
  20. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

How do you update the radio software?

21. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

I guarantee they'll give you another one if you are demanding enough

22. cggorman

cggorman Well-Known Member

One of two ways...wait for the 2.1 OTA update or root and force it using the 3P baseband zip. Fabolous started a thread on in the root subforum.

23. Angras

Angras Member

Go get another one...sounds like you have a bad one sadly..it happens. I work for Fedex and often have the windows down driving 65mph and people never have a problem hearing me even with all the ambient noise.

I am also running with no case and DEFINETLY a rooted droid with a Cyanogen mod OC'd to 1000mhz.

Jceinc likes this.
  24. hitdog042

hitdog042 Well-Known Member

can you hear me now?

haha.. sorry, had to do it. Surprised I was the first.

Jceinc likes this.
  25. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

Is it me ...or do we actually know more about phones than the majority of those who work at carrier retail stores... and then they're surprised by the fact that we end up knowing more about it..makes me laugh...anywho.

Bad droid, change it. =] My droid is bad in that issue as well, but usually sitting up fixes the problem lol. odd I know.

Jceinc likes this.