I'm starting to think the Hero's screen isn't glass...

Last Updated:

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Why, you ask? Tap the screen with your finger nails. Then tap a glass surface with your finger nails (such as a coffee table, or heck, even an iPhone screen). What do you think?

I was convinced that it HAD to be glass in order for it to be capacitive. But then, I thought about the Palm Pre. The screen is the same material as the rest of the body, and no one the Pre's body is made of glass.

Advertisement
  2. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

yeah before i bought it i was thinking the same thing and capacitive screens dont have to be glass i think thats a misconception ppl have cause of the iphone...but it is very scratch resistant which i like

3. mattcoz

mattcoz Well-Known Member

It IS glass. Smash it on the ground and you'll see*.

* don't actually do this ;)

4. Visionikz03

Visionikz03 Well-Known Member

definitely not glass as u can see very faint "swirl" like patterns in the screen surface when its off. It's most likely some sort of polycarbonate plastic which is generally extremely hard and durable and resistant to scratches. If they manufactured these phones with glass screens the cost would have gone up a decent amount. This is one of the reasons why the iphone is more expensive than the Hero. Personally i think the Hero screen is much better than iphone.

5. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

6. Visionikz03

Visionikz03 Well-Known Member

ok i retract my previous statement. Before i even saw the above post i gently tapped on the screen with a philips screw driver and it definitely resonated like glass. Interesting though it sounds completely different tapping with ur fingernails. BTW that SUCKS for that guy! Looks like it got stuck between conveyor belts or something!

7. BOO5TED

BOO5TED Well-Known Member

Nevermind, jersey beat me to it.