I'm stuck on the "M" while rebooting

Last Updated:

1. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please help if you can. I just flashed a new kernel for NexBeast. I had been running the 800Mhz one that Fabolous has posted on his thread and I decided to try a faster one to see how my phone responds. I'm copied the zip to my SD card and used ROM Manager to install it. I didn't wipe data/cache since I'm only installing a kernel. I also didn't do a backup because I just did one yesterday prior to loading a custom boot animation. ROM Manager did its thing and then the phone went to reboot, but I get stuck on the Motorola "M" and never get to the boot animation. The "M" will be on the screen for about 30 seconds and then will disappear for a moment only to return. I let it go for about 10 minutes hoping it was just stuck in a short loop, but it never stopped. I pulled the battery and tried again, but I'm still having the same problem. What can I do here? I'm new to rooting, so I'm stuck. I'm not too familiar with ClockworkMod Recovery, so I'm lost. I know that when I was still using SPRecovery I was able to boot into recovery while holding "X" and then I could access my backups from there, but I tried that and I'm not seeing any of my backups I made using ROM manager. Can someone help? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

They are there you need to go to the Nandroid option on the recovery menu, your backups will be in there...

3. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just figured it out. Sorry about the message. I panicked. Someone with "authority" may delete this thread.

4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Push another kernel with adb or if you aren't comfortable with that, when you're in recovery mode there's an option to turn USB storage on so the SD card mounts to your computer. Once it's on the sdcard, unmount the USB and pick the "apply zip from sdcard" option, find the zip for the kernel and apply it.

One of the ones listed in the "optional kernels" section of this thread should work.

Those should be the same as the ones on ROM Manager. Perhaps pick a lower clock speed one for now and continue experimenting.

EDIT: Doh. Took way too long writing lol.

5. JTAC

JTAC Member

I am experiencing the same problem as the above poster. However, when I go to my Nandroid folder, it says "No files found" (I have checked NUMEROUS times). How do I go about fixing this?

Worst part of all this is that my phone battery is completely dead and plugged in using the wall charger right now. However it is still stuck on the "M" start up screen and I am unsure if it's charging or not.

Please, how do I fix my phone?

6. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

I'm new at this stuff as well, but the other day I was stuck at the M, and also could not access the recovery console. I pulled battery, tried to get into programming mode by pushing down volume and camera while powering on, that got me to the programming mode, I exited that and it somehow fixed the M problem, I could at least then get into recovery console by pushing X while powering on, so I could install a different kernel.
    I don't know why that worked and it might not work for you but it did for me, good luck.

esmith818 likes this.