• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm switching to android!!!

jandafields

Lurker
Jan 23, 2011
I am eligible for a Verizon upgrade in 1 month. I like the HTC Incredible, but it has been out for awhile and likely getting close to end of shelf life.

Whatever phone I get, I will have to keep it for 2 years.

Should I go ahead and get the HTC Incredible, or is there a newer similiar phone that I should consider?

Personally, I think you should wait. Not because of the end of shelf life (that really means nothing to me, personally), but because soon Verizon will be releasing LTE phones. I'm pretty sure there's going to be 4 LTE phones, a Motorola, LG, Samsung, and HTC. I don't know the exact dates of any of them, but they should be within the next few months. If you don't want to wait, and LTE phones are not a concern for you, go with the Inc. As far as suggesting a different phone, it's kinda hard to do that because we don't know WHAT about the Inc you like =) Is it the camera? The size? The look of the phone? I've never used the Inc but from what I've heard it's a pretty great phone =)

**EDIT**
Oh and welcome to the forums!!!

Reactions: jandafields
Upvote 0
The LTE would be great, I hadn't thought about that. Upon looking at the coverage map, however, I am not in the coverage area. It says that they will have most coverage finished by 2013, two years from now... and just in time for my next upgrade.

So, I am not concerned about LTE at this point and will wait until my next phone upgrade for LTE.

I like the size of the Incredible, and I have heard good things about it. I don't need a physical keyboard, and hackable is a must. Stability is also a must.

So, not being concerned with LTE, is the HTC Incredible the best Android choice at this point?

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Android Forums!

If LTE isn't a requirement for you the Droid Incredible is an awesome phone... just remember to get it with an extended battery and you'll likely be quite happy with it.

Personally I still believe that the Droid X is Verizon's flagship Android phone. But it's also a larger handset which may not be optimal for some people...

Reactions: jandafields
Upvote 0
Judging by the things you said are important to you, I would stay go ahead and get the Inc. I think you're going to be happy with it. It's going to take a while before LTE is worth getting, IMO.

+1

Not sure how many phones are going to be rolling out int he near future with that form facture. Based on CES numbers, that is a big 0.

Upvote 0
+1

Not sure how many phones are going to be rolling out int he near future with that form facture. Based on CES numbers, that is a big 0.

I'd wait until February 17th at least. That's the last day of Mobile World Congress, where the Incredible's successor is supposedly going to be announced. Rumor has it that it is NOT an LTE phone. If you have an upgrade available and both Incredible's are available, you'll now have another option to choose from.

Upvote 0
I'll be very interested to see a new Incredible. Incredible II? Incredible HD?

I think HTC will show 7 new phones in MWC based on the rumors, one Brew, 6 Androids, three of which variations of existing models headed to China. The other three might be successors to the Aria, Desire and Wildfire.

Upvote 0
if you are staying with verizon, why not wait for the HTC Thunderbolt. It's rumored to be able to surf and talk at the same time, but only in 4G...

Because 4G won't have much coverage for a couple years. There are only a couple cities per state that even have 4G currently...

By the time it gets good coverage everywhere, it will be another 2 years and then I will again be eligible for a new phone... at which time I can go LTE.

Upvote 0
It depends on your needs.
You should go to a Verizon store and take a look.

Laptop magazine consistently rate the DX as the best phone due to its screen size and HDMI output.

Since I use edit word and excel docs and use the terminal emulator a lot, the physical keyboard of the D2 makes the difference for me.

Using those apps the virtual keyboard takes up half the screen, the physical keyboard allows me to use the entire screen.

Upvote 0
If you're going with Verizon, make sure you understand that they will be capping data fairly soon. Unlimited data will probably go away as soon as they start selling their LTE smartphones.

Once Verizon kills their unlimited data plans, Sprint will be the only major carrier that offers truly unlimited and unrestricted data. AT&T caps data and T-mobile throttles.

That being said, I'd suggest the Motorola Bionic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones