im wondering how much dev support the epic will have?

Last Updated:

1. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so i am planning on getting an epic but im also wondering how much dev support there will be cause i know the evo has quite a bit even the hero has quite a bit still...

anyone else planning on rooting?

Advertisement
  2. rckozma

rckozma Well-Known Member

Buying an Android and not root? That's like buying a Ferrari and not driving it. I don't think you will have to worry about not having dev support on this phone. I will be rooting as soon as I get it. I waited for 6 months before I rooted the Hero, and looking back on it I kick myself for not making the Hero all it can be from the beginning. Even if you don't do much with it, you should still root. And rooting in itself is nothing more than turning on superuser access.

3. jersey221

yeah i rooted my hero the day i got it so when i get the epic i plan on rooting as soon as the release how to.

4. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member

I'm new to the whole "rooting" thing with Android phones. Does this just remove Samsung's Touch Wiz interface, or does it remove everything non-Android? What I mean is, does it remove all the Sprint extras like the NFL/Nascar stuff, etc.? If so, I'd be hesitant to do it I guess.

5. kingme23

kingme23 Active Member

It will allow you to remove stuff like touchwiz and sprint bloatware but you don't HAVE to.

6. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member

Oh, cool....so you can pick and choose what you want to keep then? Nice! :)

7. jersey221

couldnt have said it better...

it will also allow you to load custom roms and kernels radios...

you pretty much have full control over your phone.

8. WhipperSnapper

WhipperSnapper Member

Rooting is like getting the key to the cookie jar that you then open up and finding every variety of cookie you could ever want and the varieties of cookies you didn't know you wanted, its redic. You want the tether cookie? you got it. Maybe you want that cool unlock screen on the Vibrant, why not? your phone is rooted!

9. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

SDX already is hard at work on rooting and development with the EPIC. I don't think you have anything to worry about. XDA also has a large group working on it as well. It will have plenty of support. I am working on a theme already from the sytem dump.

10. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

do remember the Epic is not a loner. It is part of the Galaxy S line. I'd imagine if the root one, they'll root all. Even the Moment had a big developer following and the Galaxy S line eclipses the Moment a hundred fold by being on all the carriers. It shouldn't even be in question.

11. neags23

neags23 Active Member

I ended up bricking the WiMax radio on my Evo messing around with custom ROMs and stuff. It was a fairly well documented issue on the xda forums about a bad ROM or bad WiMax radio or something (missing RSA keys, if anyone's familiar with the issue). Not sure if they ever found the cause.

Makes me very wary about messing with that again. At least after the first 30 days, anyway.