Imac and Droid bluetooth

Last Updated:

1. DroidRX

DroidRX Active Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone had any success pairing the droid with imac? When I turn bluetooth on and press "scan for devices", it finds my imac and on the imac, the droid shows up right there with the wireless mouse and keyboard. When I press "Pair with this device" (my imac), I get the pairing request on both the imac and droid with the passkey that matches. I press Yes on both devices and it shows up on the Imac as follows:
    Type: Smartphone
    Services: OBEX Object Push
    Paired: Yes
    Connected: No

On the Droid it shows up as:
    John Smith's iMac
    Paired but not connected.

What's interesting is that once I pair both devices, on the imac side, it shows Yes under connected for about 30 seconds and then switches to No. I would love to have bluetooth file sharing between both devices.

Do you think a simple app would be able to solve this dilemma?

Advertisement
  2. anaxolotl

anaxolotl Member

This was one of the first things i attempted on my iMac as well. After playing with settings forever i finally googled the hell out of it. The summary of what i read was: Bluetooth on android is set up for headphones and the like. The drivers are not really working for file transfer although there are supposedly some hacks out there that you can get to work if you have the time, patience and luck.
    Best of luck and post here if you figure it out.
    Thanks
    --m

3. krenoline

krenoline Member

I will be waiting anxiously for the fix for this problem. I had the same thing happen in terms of a brief connect then nothing. I was also able to send a file once then it disconnected again. Verizon says the bluetooth technology is not supported by them and I don't want to pay for the one-time apple service fee. RATS!!

4. samax21

samax21 New Member

My Droid says "Paired but not connected" as well. But I went to the bluetooth icon on my iMac and clicked Send File. I found the file I wanted to send (I used an MP3 file). A pop up came up saying the device claims it will not accept but you can hit send anyway. Then my Droid notified me that my iMac was trying to send something. I accepted it on the droid and the file was successfully sent.

5. shaalan

shaalan New Member

So cool! I downloaded ringtones from the marketplace, but the transfer got hung up. The developer sent me the .zip file which I downloaded to my computer. Too lazy to get off the couch to get a mini USB, I connected via bluetooth and transferred all the files. Just choose make sure your droid is paired and discoverable and select the individual files (Not the parent folder).

6. steve1401

steve1401 Well-Known Member

Don't know if bumping this thread is useful to anyone, but I had a similar problem and now I have it sorted. BTW - HTC Desire & iMac running Leopard:

On the Mac, in system prefs, click 'Sharing' and in there is a 'Bluetooth Sharing' option. Tick that and you should be able to send files from your phone to your iMac. Not a phone issue after all, at least for me!

There isn't a permanent connection, it just connencts as required to transfer files.

Steve