Image degradation when scrolling?Support

Last Updated:

1. keredini

keredini Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone noticed this? I notice that images become pixelated and their quality gets worse when scrolling. It happens in several areas, so I don't think it is an application issue. I see it in the native browser, Dolphin, even widgets on the home screen. See samples below. Anyone notice this?

On the home screen, notice the shading around the numbers, the weather icon, and then the Google text in the search bar. On the browser, look at the pixelation on the main image when scrolling.

Home:

No scroll:
    [​IMG]

Scroll:
    [​IMG]

Browser:

No scroll:
    [​IMG]

Scroll:
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. Pheno.menon

Pheno.menon Well-Known Member

There is an option in LauncherPro under "Advanced Settings" called "High quality scrolling" - keeps high quality graphics while scrolling, but reduces performance.

This may help

3. Vissionary

Vissionary Active Member

I've noticed this as well. It's a little bothersome...

4. keredini

I'm using ADW

5. Pheno.menon

Pheno.menon Well-Known Member

This is your problem, then. LauncherPro is better :p especially with the new widgets in the paid version.

6. keredini

Well LauncherPro does not have the issue on the widgets. However, the issue is still persistent in the browser (both stock and Dolphin) across different home launchers.

7. tytdfn

tytdfn Member

Well this happens with almost every app to keep up the performance of it. Do you guys think this is the only phone that does that because to me its not a problem just normal

8. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

i dont see why this is a significant problem. once you stop scrolling it immediately "fixes" itself anyway. i guess it could be annoying to some but i never even noticed it until it was pointed out by this thread. in most cases, im not scrolling slow enough to recognize any difference.

9. ChaoticKinesis

ChaoticKinesis Well-Known Member

Check your memory usage settings under advanced settings. If you set the homescreen cache type to normal you will no longer see this.

SupremeBeaver likes this.
  10. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

The browser thing happens on all Android phones. Android compresses images when you scroll to make scrolling smoother / less intensive.

11. julien martin

julien martin New Member

I also see this issue within the native browser when scrolling a picture with javascript code capturing touch events (to scroll a map). I tested it on different android phones under Android 1.5 and 2.1. The image degrades badly as from the finger touches the screen. When the finger is removed from the screen, the image refreshes properly to native resolution on android 1.5, but NOT on android 2.1 where it stays degraded, which is pretty bad. The only way to refresh it is through a javascript tweak.

12. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

I've always noticed it but never considered it a problem. Why would I want the processor to expend all its power to make sure every last pixel is shown in top quality resolution for every scrolling image? Android sort of creates a lighter weight approximation of the image to make the scrolling animation less intensive. This is a good design. Of course what you want is not impossible to implement, but I doubt many people really care, hence it's unlikely to change.