Image Saturation Puzzle

Last Updated:

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Read a review of the Nexus One that complained about how oversaturated colors appear on the screen. Hadn't noticed this myself; it occurs to me, though, that photos taken with the N1 look great on the screen but significantly undersaturated anywhere else (including in print). I wonder whether the camera was optimized for its screen. If so, I hope an option is added later to increase saturation as a default (to save post-processing time on any photo to be shared or printed). As I mentioned in another post, Vignette fixes this problem, but at reduced resolution.

Advertisement
  2. dren

dren Well-Known Member

Don't have the phone so I don't truly know but from experience with cameras and photo printing here's what I can tell ya...

Your nexus screen is going to be adjusted for the most vivid colors and best look for the end user.

Now when you transfer that picture to your computer you're going to (probably) see a color difference just because your home computer monitor is not calibrated like the nexus screen. So, if you have a properly calibrated monitor for your computer than you'll see the 'true' colors on there. It wouldn't surprise me if the N1 is over saturated to show 'beauty' in the photos.

As far as print goes, this is where it gets really noticeable. Printers have their own idea of color and if you ever want a photo to print out from the computer and look exactly like the monitor you're going to need a good photo printer (like an HP Photosmart printer) and photo quality paper. The next step is to make sure you edit your photos and make sure their color management is set to CMYK (what a printer uses for color) instead of RGB (like what every computer see's color in)

Sooo long explanation made short.

-I would bet money the N1 screen is oversaturated to show 'good' looking photos.
    -Transfering images from a phone to a computer will probably always have a difference in color due to Monitor Calibrations.
    -Printing a photo from your phone will most definitely look odd because a printer uses CMYK color management while your phone/computer uses RGB color management.

I'm sure this post is confusing... I think I'm starting to confuse myself lol I tried to explain it to the best of my ability though... sorry!

3. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, but not all of what you say sounds right. Specifically that the phone records in RGB and printers don't use that color space is common to digital cameras and printers generally; so this is inapposite. In any case, I know that translations are not precise; my question was simply whether the color space on the Nexus One was set to a particularly high saturation (even compared to other pdas, as one reviewer said) and whether the camera was adjusted accordingly (and if so, unfortunately). But again, thanks.