• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

image size help needed

Wfs0801

Jun 29, 2013
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not very educated with smart phones so bare with me. Whenever I download an image from Google, it always turns out to be like 1/5 the size of my screen or smaller. Is there any way to make the image larger? I've tried cropping and it doesn't help.

For instance, if I download a picture to use as reference for a tattoo idea, I need it to be about as large as it can be. How do I accomplish this?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not very educated with smart phones so bare with me. Whenever I download an image from Google, it always turns out to be like 1/5 the size of my screen or smaller. Is there any way to make the image larger? I've tried cropping and it doesn't help.

For instance, if I download a picture to use as reference for a tattoo idea, I need it to be about as large as it can be. How do I accomplish this?

You're seeing one-to-one pixel mapping on a high def display with low-density pictures.

If you cast those to a 60" HDTV they'd be physically bigger but still take 1/5 of the screen with the same mapping.

What you want to do is an image search for larger versions of your target pictures - they very often, but not always, exist.

So - get just the picture displayed in your browser; copy the url; goto Google.com; paste in the url; wait for it to find nothing then click on the image search option.

Then look to see if you can find better versions of your desired pictures.

Works the same way on a desktop pc.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
We'd need more information on the sort of image, where/how you are loading or viewing.

It's not a general HTC One feature that images downloaded from the web are small, though if you are using one particular site it might be a feature of that site. Have you checked the actual sizes of the images (open them in a gallery app and select "details" from the menu - certainly works with QuickPic, which is my favoured gallery app)? That will tell you whether the images are really small, or just zoomed out (e.g. because their aspect ratio doesn't match that of the screen).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones