• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IMAP email problems

alextartu

Lurker
Apr 17, 2010
Hi,

I'm sure I must be being dumb, but, I'm having an issue with deleting emails from the generic email client on Android 1.5.

I use the gmail app for dedicated gmail stuff...works like a dream. However, my uni email address (IMAP) using the normal 'email' app is a different story.

It will receive emails no problem, but if I delete them they disappear for 2 seconds, then reappear in the inbox again (in the same place) with a line through them, they don't even move into the trash folder. However, what does happen is that they disappear off my webmail server. I would much prefer this to be the opposite way around : )

Is there a way of actually removing something from the inbox once it's been received, or is it there forever?

Many thanks.

Alex

btw...it's a LG Gw620 (eve/intouch max) running android 1.5.

Hmm, now you're asking.

The server is my university webmail. I have just used the settings on the phone that they suggest for setting up thunderbird/etc.

I have very little control over the settings on the webmail page (they use squirrelmail).

Maybe I'm attempting the impossible given my lack of control over squirrel mail. But really, it seems that it is just the phone that is refusing to delete them from its memory (it is happily deleting them off the squirrelmail server.)

Thanks for helping me out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones